• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe Train Seat Classifications

Arniece2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April, 2022
I will be taking the train from Atocha to Pamplona. I'm purchasing my ticket online. Can you clarify for me the difference in the seating. I've read the info on Seat 61, and I don't understand why you would pay more for an Elige seat to sit in Standard Class. If that's what you wanted why not pay less and get it. And the same theory for Premium paying more but maybe that's because you get food & wine. I feel like I'm missing something...

Here is the explanation off Seat 61:
  • Básico (Basic)... The cheapest fare, only for travel in standard (2nd) class. Básico tickets are non-refundable & non-changeable unless you pay a hefty extra fee to make them so.
  • Elige (Choice)... A semi-flexible fare. If you select this you get a choice of Elige to get a Standard (2nd) class seat or Elige Confort at a higher price to get a Comfort (1st) class seat. Elige & Elige Confort tickets are refundable & changeable for a fee.
  • Premium... The most flexible fare, you get a Comfort (1st) class seat and (on Renfe's AVE or EuroMed trains) at-seat food & wine included. Access to Sala Club lounges at major stations. Changeable without fee, refundable for a minimal fee.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
  • Básico tickets are non-refundable & non-changeable unless you pay a hefty extra fee to make them so.
  • Elige (Choice)... A semi-flexible fare... Elige & Elige Confort tickets are refundable & changeable for a fee.
The difference seems to be in the refundability and changeability, not in the type of physical seat.

The difference seems to be in the refundability and changeability, not in the type of physical seat.
Ok, I see that now. Your right, I was focused on the seat itself. I knew I was missing something. So technically, I pay a higher fee for a standard in case I need to change it, but then I would pay a change fee also. I feel a bit of brain fog around this particular website, not sure why.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be taking the train from Atocha to Pamplona. I'm purchasing my ticket online. Can you clarify for me the difference in the seating. I've read the info on Seat 61, and I don't understand why you would pay more for an Elige seat to sit in Standard Class. If that's what you wanted why not pay less and get it. And the same theory for Premium paying more but maybe that's because you get food & wine. I feel like I'm missing something...

• Básico (Basic)... The cheapest fare, only for travel in standard (2nd) class. Básico tickets are non-refundable & non-changeable unless you pay a hefty extra fee to make them so.
  • Elige (Choice)... A semi-flexible fare. If you select this you get a choice of Elige to get a Standard (2nd) class seat or Elige Confort at a higher price to get a Comfort (1st) class seat. Elige & Elige Confort tickets are refundable & changeable for a fee.
  • Premium... The most flexible fare, you get a Comfort (1st) class seat and (on Renfe's AVE or EuroMed trains) at-seat food & wine included. Access to Sala Club lounges at major stations. Changeable without fee, refundable for a minimal fee.
Try looking at the same offer using ‘rail Europe’ their descriptions might be more informative and their order process simple (although they do add a booking fee)

Try looking at the same offer using ‘rail Europe’ their descriptions might be more informative and their order process simple (although they do add a booking fee)
I did eventually find it. Clicked to purchase, was offered a video of their Luxury Trains, which I of course watched and drooled over, tried to get back to my ticket purchase and somehow found myself on the page that had a much better explanation of the seat choices. I did not, however get back to my ticket purchase and had to start again. Then the purchase would not go through. :( What fun!!! I looked on the site you suggested, but the price was $17 euros more ($55 vs $72). I think I'll just buy my ticket when I get there. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

I did eventually find it. Clicked to purchase, was offered a video of their Luxury Trains, which I of course watched and drooled over, tried to get back to my ticket purchase and somehow found myself on the page that had a much better explanation of the seat choices. I did not, however get back to my ticket purchase and had to start again. Then the purchase would not go through. :( What fun!!! I looked on the site you suggested, but the price was $17 euros more ($55 vs $72). I think I'll just buy my ticket when I get there. Thanks everyone for your help! :)
I know it’s frustrating, but I’d strongly advise advance purchase. The ‘walk up’ prices can go through the roof depending on availability. And they do sell-out.

I’ve long suspected that RENFE blew the budget on a load of fancy oversized out-of-town stations, leaving nothing to buy any actual trains.

Pamplona and Logroño strike me as great examples of huge expensive stations which see a mere handful of trains daily.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know it’s frustrating, but I’d strongly advise advance purchase. The ‘walk up’ prices can go through the roof depending on availability. And they do sell-out.

I’ve long suspected that RENFE blew the budget on a load of fancy oversized out-of-town stations, leaving nothing to buy any actual trains.

Pamplona and Logroño strike me as great examples of huge expensive stations which see a mere handful of trains daily.
I will be traveling Saturday of Easter Weekend, so I do agree about selling out. That's why I wanted to purchase now. It keeps telling me "There are no seats left at that price". Do you think that means it's sold out?

I will be traveling Saturday of Easter Weekend, so I do agree about selling out. That's why I wanted to purchase now. It keeps telling me "There are no seats left at that price". Do you think that means it's sold out?
I tried the 0935 Atocha to Pamplona on Saturday April 16th (just by way of example) and I got to the allocated seat number with the ticket held on Rail Europe without difficulty …

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried the 0935 Atocha to Pamplona on Saturday April 16th (just by way of example) and I got to the allocated seat number with the ticket held on Rail Europe without difficulty
I have had trouble with the Renfe site accepting my US credit card. I use PayPal on the site and it works perfectly.
I didn't get far enough to input my credit card, but I did choose the option credit card. I'll try with Paypal. Thanks.

If Paypal doesn't work, then I'll try the Rail Europe site, thanks!

I didn't get far enough to input my credit card, but I did choose the option credit card. I'll try with Paypal. Thanks.

If Paypal doesn't work, then I'll try the Rail Europe site, thanks!
Or try Omio.com. They also charge a fee, but I think that it's lower.

Just a note: When you buy at the train station you pay 30% more at the ticket window and I think 15% more in the ticket machine than if you order online if that is a consideration. I do have the both the Renfe and Alsa apps on my phone now and signed up for accounts, however, will wait until I get to Madrid this summer to buy a new Tarjeta Dorada (discount card for people over 60) before I try to buy online using the app. The discount ticket can only be purchased in person at a station. I agree that if you are traveling on a holiday that seats will be more scarce.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a note: When you buy at the train station you pay 30% more at the ticket window and I think 15% more in the ticket machine than if you order online if that is a consideration. I do have the both the Renfe and Alsa apps on my phone now and signed up for accounts, however, will wait until I get to Madrid this summer to buy a new Tarjeta Dorada (discount card for people over 60) before I try to buy online using the app. The discount ticket can only be purchased in person at a station. I agree that if you are traveling on a holiday that seats will be more scarce.
That's really helpful information, thank you. I have another 2 years before I can get any discounts LOL! I do wonder now if I had made an account that maybe my purchase would go through. *thinking* Just having a bite to eat before going back to try again...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! And all your help!!! I used the Omio site as someone suggested and the fee was I think only $6 euros. The purchase went through easy peasy and I am now a super happy camper. I'm downloading the Omio app onto my phone. I think this will be very useful in the upcoming weeks.

As long as I used paypal I had not problems. Since Paypal was linked to the same credit card, it's kind of silly but it works. Also, if you do buy tickets on renfe and become a registered user, it is much easier to get refunds. They hold a record of the reservation on their site. Never had a problem changing or getting a refund (if that option was available). There are some classes of trains where it won't keep the itinerary number in their site. It seems to be the more local trips. Their site is a bit of a challenge but it does work once you figure out the rules. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The only real difference with the Elige seat is that you get to choose where you sit (elegir = Spanish verb to choose) with Basic you get allocated seat. I travelled RENFE a lot over recent years and ways go for the cheapest. You always have a seat allocated so if you are not particular about where you sit then why pay more?

You will also need to have a “permanent” address in Spain for the tarjeta dorada. They just want an address.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back