• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RENFE Trains - Cycle Friendly

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola - I am sure I have read here (somewhere) that the RENFE AVE trains do not carry cycles. In that case do "media distance" trains operate between Madrid and Pamplona?? I would expect that they do - but the RENFE site is down at the moment. I have used the RENFE site previously an sort of know my way around it, but have not had to book ticket for two adults and one bike before. Any tips greatly appreciated. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
OK - maybe for you the links are working but I use "firefox" and I have been unable to get any of RENFE sites to load. I will try netscape and see if it works.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No luck. I have tried both Firefox and Netscape and both tell me that ALL RENFE sites are down. I will try later, maybe one of you can pm me the full web site address - not the shortened link. Thanks

@Saint Mike II - Interesting to note that you are having trouble loading sites and use Firefox. So do I and the latest update is causing problems.... thinking of changing my browser as I think that is the problem not the sites I am trying to visit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Saint Mike II - Interesting to note that you are having trouble loading sites and use Firefox. So do I and the latest update is causing problems.... thinking of changing my browser as I think that is the problem not the sites I am trying to visit.

I used Firefox for years as my browser but had to change to Chrome last year as I had endless problems after an update and it didn't improve with time or further updates, this was both on the PC and the tablet. I now use Chrome on the PC and Dolphin on the tablet.

In that case do "media distance" trains operate between Madrid and Pamplona??

There aren't direct Media Distancia trains between Madrid and Pamplona. To make the route in Media Distancia and/or Regional Exprés and/or Regional trains, you would need to change trains in either Vitoria-Gasteiz or Zaragoza (and takes much more time than the direct trains).

I am sure I have read here (somewhere) that the RENFE AVE trains do not carry cycles.

That changed some time ago. Now they accept them under certain conditions that are explained on the link they've already provided you (and that it seems you can't make work for some reason). Those conditions can be summarized in: bike in a cover with dimmensions up to 180 centimeters (height plus lenght plus width) are considered hand luggage and can be transported in the train if all your hand luggage (the bike plus the rest) meets the overall hand luggage limits. Bigger bikes can be transported (not sure if also free of charge) just if they don't have dimmensions bigger than 120cm (length) x 90cm (height) x 40cm (width), are folded and inside a carrying case, have the pedals removed and the handlebar turned 90ºC.

P.S.: Bike transport in Media Distancia trains isn't free if the route is longer than 100 kms long and the bike isn't folded.
P.S.(2): Ask in a RENFE info desk if you need a specific ticket for your bike.

Hola Castilian - thanks for all the above info. Well my bike will still be in its packing case that it will travel in from Oz so it will fit the 180 cm limit and I just have to manage with the rest of hand luggage. Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back