• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RenfeTicket Train to Madrid

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
I know, or thought I knew, there was a Renfe train from SDC to Madrid, but neither the Renfe app, nor the website will show any trains. Strangely enough, yesterday both the website & app did. Can anyone suggest the best way to get to Madrid? I’m thinking flying out of SDC at present.

Thanks for any info.

Warmly,

Barry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We trained from SdC to MAD in March and I just double checked with the RENFE app and several departure times are listed currently. Any chance you set up Madrid to something other than Todas or Chamartin?

There is a good train from SdeC to Madrid. A couple of times a day. I took it back in October. Good ride. There is one transfer shortly after SdeC, but you just step off one and onto another...same platform. Check again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know, or thought I knew, there was a Renfe train from SDC to Madrid, but neither the Renfe app, nor the website will show any trains. Strangely enough, yesterday both the website & app did. Can anyone suggest the best way to get to Madrid? I’m thinking flying out of SDC at present.

Thanks for any info.

Warmly,

Barry

How far in advance are you looking? The website only shows train schedules out to 60 or 90 days in advance.

There is a good train from SdeC to Madrid. A couple of times a day. I took it back in October. Good ride. There is one transfer shortly after SdeC, but you just step off one and onto another...same platform. Check again.
And there is also a direct...

We trained from SdC to MAD in March and I just double checked with the RENFE app and several departure times are listed currently. Any chance you set up Madrid to something other than Todas or Chamartin?

No, but I too got several departures, but this seems to be at the apps whim. So, at any rate, I can purchse the tickets at the Renfe station in SDC. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How far in advance are you looking? The website only shows train schedules out to 60 or 90 days in advance.

I put in August, then September, then tomorrow. All came out with, well let me go check. . .Okay, must have been a temporary or recurring problem with the site. Sorry that I didn't make sure of that before I posted.

You can buy your ticket in the airport if you are not able to purchase ahead. It is in the lower level of T4. You take a train to Charmartin Estacion and we we got the last two seats to Santiago that afternoon.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Last year I bought a ticket to Madrid at the Pilgrim office in Santiago. I assume that service is still available. This year I checked the Iberia website and bought a flight to Madrid for only $25.00US. Can't beat that.

Walk down to the train station in SdC and buy your tic from the person at the window

And should you be over 60 don't forget to buy your Spanish senior rail card first, valid for one year , cost 6€.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, but I too got several departures, but this seems to be at the apps whim. So, at any rate, I can purchse the tickets at the Renfe station in SDC. Thanks!
A couple of years ago I tried to book a train ticket in August about 5 days before I planned to travel, and all the Santiago - Madrid trains were sold out, so you may want to reconsider leaving it to the last minute. Also you can get a better price by booking ahead. I prefer using the Renfe app over the website.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, in person and in our experience you buy it a different desk from the desk where you buy the ticket, well that was the case at Leon and at Santiago De Compostela railway stations but not at Irun. Excellent discounts especially for weekday travel.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
For checking schedules, I highly recommend the DB Connect app which is for the German Rail but it has schedules for most of Europe and shows connections that the Renfe app does not.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back