• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RENFRE

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
I am trying to get my train reservation from Madrid to Pamplona. Is there a difference between Atocha and Puerta De Atocha? And how do I get to the train station, whichever it is, from the airport?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a Renfe station at the airport. When you exit the baggage area at T-4 straight ahead is the sign and it points to the right. Just keep following them. At tghe small Renfe station you an purchase your ticket directly to Pamplona. Note: if you are 62 or more ask for a "Tarjeta dorada" which entitles you to a sizable discount on train fares throughout Spain for a year. It costs slightly more than 5 euros but the discount for just one ticket makes it worth it, even more if you return to Madrid by train.

The airport in Madrid is called Barajas (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are connected while T4 is reached via shuttle.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the shuttle to T4 is located here
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro) and light rail transit (Cercanius). The Metro has stations at T2 and T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes. Cercanius has a station at T4 and runs every 30 minutes.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe). Cercanius trains go direct to Chamartin station and Puerto Atocha station.
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Renfe is Spain's train system. Madrid has two major train stations; Puerto de Atocha and Chamartin. You will need to know which station your train is leaving from. The route to Pamplona goes via Zaragosa. Be aware that transfers may be required so check the itenerary.

Puerto de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 6 to Cuatro Caminos; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha

Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Mar de Cristal; line 4 to Pinar de Chamartin; and, line 1 to Chamartin.

Renfe (Spain's train system)
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

There is a difference between Atocha and Puerta de Atocha. Atocha is a location in Madrid. Puerta de Atocha refers to the train station located there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The previous reply is very informative and complete. May I add some details:

I landed in MAD on the morning of April 1st last year (2013) and took the train from Madrid to Pamplona the same day. Originally I had planned on taking the bus from the airport terminal to Pamplona - but I'm glad that I did not pre-book this option since the bus schedule was all messed up. I ended up buying a train ticket at the airport which started from Puerta de Atocha and went directly to Pamplona without a change in train. I did not know this but it turned out that my train ticket to Pamplona INCLUDED the short train ride from the airport (MAD) to the Atocha station - very convenient, especially after the trans-Atlantic flight!!!

FYI, European "seniors" are treated very well and are accorded many benefits. If you're 60 years of age or older, you can buy a senior ID card (I don't remember what it's called) for 5 euros which is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase. This card is available at the train ticket booth for the asking - just show your passport. With this card you get 40% off the train ticket!! Due to this discount, I ended up going first class on Renfe. I recall that the seat were more roomy, comfortable - and the food (with wine/beer) was so much better than everything on the United flight that I just arrived on!! Buen camino!

Well, almost everything has been said, but I can always find more to say. :)

I would never take the metro from the airport to Atocha, especially now that the Cercanias (commuter line C-1) goes directly there from T-4 and the airport express bus also takes you there with very few stops. You have to change several times on the metro, and there are lots of pickpockets in prime travel time.

The Cercanias train is faster than the airport express bus, but it runs less frequently, only at 28 and 58 past the hour, and it only stops in Terminal 4, which is used by Iberia and its One World Partners (American and BA are probably the most familiar). So if you land in T 1-3, you will have to take an intra-airport bus over to T-4.

The Airport Express bus stops at all terminals and runs every 15-20 minutes. So depending on timing and where you arrive, it might be the easiest way to get to Atocha. Some info here: http://madridman.com/blog-madrid/2012/01/madrid-airport-express-shuttle-bus/

I am trying to get my train reservation from Madrid to Pamplona. Is there a difference between Atocha and Puerta De Atocha? And how do I get to the train station, whichever it is, from the airport?
There is a Metro station at the airport and the Metro will take you to just about anywhere you want to go in Madrid. It used to cost 1 Euro for any destination within the Metro system; now they have changed it and you have to buy your ticket from a machine that will ask what is your destination; the price varies according to how far you are going. It is a good deal; the system is very dependable, clean, safe and is extensive enough that you can get out close to any destination in Madrid. There are two stops on the Metro that I think you are speaking of; one is "Atocha" and the other is "Atocha Renfe". It seems logical that Atocha Renfe is the train station. There was an older Atocha train station that now is some kind of a botanical garden with little cafes and such; the new Atocha station is the one you want if you want to take a train to Pamplona. It will be less expensive and probably quicker if you simply take a bus at the Madrid airport right up to Pamplona. Last September we had considered taking the train because you can get up and walk around and often you can get some food on the train but the bus is handy right there at the airport and the buses are very comfortable, quick and less expensive than the train.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, almost everything has been said, but I can always find more to say. :)

I would never take the metro from the airport to Atocha, especially now that the Cercanias (commuter line C-1) goes directly there from T-4 and the airport express bus also takes you there with very few stops. You have to change several times on the metro, and there are lots of pickpockets in prime travel time.

The Cercanias train is faster than the airport express bus, but it runs less frequently, only at 28 and 58 past the hour, and it only stops in Terminal 4, which is used by Iberia and its One World Partners (American and BA are probably the most familiar). So if you land in T 1-3, you will have to take an intra-airport bus over to T-4.

The Airport Express bus stops at all terminals and runs every 15-20 minutes. So depending on timing and where you arrive, it might be the easiest way to get to Atocha. Some info here: http://madridman.com/blog-madrid/2012/01/madrid-airport-express-shuttle-bus/

The problem I have with this is it could be maximum 20 minutes waiting for the shuttle plus 10 minutes travel to T4 and maximum 30 minutes waiting for the Cercanius. Vice maximum 6-12 minutes waiting for Metro. Walking times are not considered; they are probably the same for both options. That 50 minutes difference is enough for Metro to get to Chamartin and for most of the hour travel time to Atocha. So in my view Cercanius is only worthwhile if you are already at T4.

Pickpockets are everywhere. I keep my hands on my stuff.

Mary:

Just to include all options you could also take a cab to Puerta de Atocha. The train station is about 20km's. The ride will probably cost 20-30 euro's. My flights have always come into T1. Therefore, I have always taken a cab to the train station. If your flight comes into T4, the train would be a better and less expensive option, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm looking hard at my travel options for Sept .... My flight arrives in MAD from Dallas on Iberia Airline. I read above Iberia always uses T4 ?. Once I get off the plane I take a train ( which I can get at T4 this ticket is purchased via machine ) to Atocha Train station , buy my ticket , from a person not a machine? )to Pomplona at the station and get a senior card (5 Eur) .

Fernanzer said above "It will be less expensive and probably quicker if you simply take a bus at the Madrid airport right up to Pamplona" ... I'm assuming because its quicker ( less wait time) for the bus then the train? . How long does the train take vs the bus ?. Google maps has it 391 km (242 miles) ... I hear the train is very fast ( speed wise)

Have you ever heard of pilgrims sharing a taxi from MAD to St Jean ?. 461 km ( 285 mi) ..

OK, every time I read another post I get a bit fuzzy where I think I had it understood before.

Questions: Can I buy a Carjeta Dorada at the airport or do I have to wait until I get to Atocha since the airport is purchase by machine only? It does not appear to me that I can get a Carjeta Dorada ticket until I show up in Spain so cannot purchase a ticket/reservation from USA prior to arrival at the lower price. Right?

Peregrina 200, "the Airport Express bus takes you there..." which "there" are you talking about in that sentence? - Atocha Station or T-4. Ie: Does the Airport Express bus go to Atocha? Some bus does according to a journal I read last year. I do not think I will arrive at T-4. (flying United.)

My plane arrives at 10:00AM. The train to Pamplona leaves at 3:05. I have time to get there even for a confused old lady with VERY limited Spanish.(I think). But I surely would like to have it clear in my mind before I get there as these things stress me out. I would rather take a bus or train than metro with less confusion. I am not used to subways in States either. Walking is much easier than motorized conveyances.

OK, every time I read another post I get a bit fuzzy where I think I had it understood before.

Questions: Can I buy a Carjeta Dorada at the airport or do I have to wait until I get to Atocha since the airport is purchase by machine only? It does not appear to me that I can get a Carjeta Dorada ticket until I show up in Spain so cannot purchase a ticket/reservation from USA prior to arrival at the lower price. Right?

Peregrina 200, "the Airport Express bus takes you there..." which "there" are you talking about in that sentence? - Atocha Station or T-4. Ie: Does the Airport Express bus go to Atocha? Some bus does according to a journal I read last year. I do not think I will arrive at T-4. (flying United.)

My plane arrives at 10:00AM. The train to Pamplona leaves at 3:05. I have time to get there even for a confused old lady with VERY limited Spanish.(I think). But I surely would like to have it clear in my mind before I get there as these things stress me out. I would rather take a bus or train than metro with less confusion. I am not used to subways in States either. Walking is much easier than motorized conveyances.

Sorry for the confusion, I can answer your specific questions, Mary. I will try to be more clear, no more "there" in my answers!

Tarjeta Dorada -- RENFE owns the Cercanias trains and has an office with personnel at the airport (T4). It is right at the entrance to the Cercanias. You can buy your Tarjeta Dorada and your train ticket to Pamplona at that airport office. There are usually very few if any people, so it will be quick and easy. You then have a 26 minute ride to Atocha station. No changes.

Airport Bus -- Yes, the airport bus goes directly from T4 to Atocha station. But for you I think the train option is much easier.

Timing -- You have PLENTY of time to make this connection, no matter how little Spanish you speak. :)

Buen camino, you're now ready to go! Laurie

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On a random weekday in April, I get these train options from T-4 at the Madrid airport:

upload_2014-2-16_5-52-43.png

All connections are more than an hour except the 1428 run, which is 50 minutes. Note that one of the 0758 connection options is for the 1530 AVE-LD that also connects to the 1428 departure from T-4. There really are only four trains from Madrid to Pamplona, 1135, 1505, 1530, and 1935, and five Cercanias trains to Atchoa.

If you only have carry on luggage Mary, there is a bus from T4 @ 10.45am
5 hours journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would recommend the train over the bus.

The Alvia train is 3hr 5min, There is food. You can get up and walk around. The bathrooms are much larger

The bus is 5hrs. No food, confined to seat, bathrooms ^^.

Laurie's response is 100% dead on. The only issue I have ever found is timing. A lot depends on whether you come in at T1 or T4.

T1, I recommend a cab to eliminate steps in process for someone in unfamiliar surroundings. T4, hands down the train is the best option.

Ultreya,
Joe

I'm looking hard at my travel options for Sept .... My flight arrives in MAD from Dallas on Iberia Airline. I read above Iberia always uses T4 ?. Once I get off the plane I take a train ( which I can get at T4 this ticket is purchased via machine ) to Atocha Train station , buy my ticket , from a person not a machine? )to Pomplona at the station and get a senior card (5 Eur) .

Fernanzer said above "It will be less expensive and probably quicker if you simply take a bus at the Madrid airport right up to Pamplona" ... I'm assuming because its quicker ( less wait time) for the bus then the train? . How long does the train take vs the bus ?. Google maps has it 391 km (242 miles) ... I hear the train is very fast ( speed wise)

Have you ever heard of pilgrims sharing a taxi from MAD to St Jean ?. 461 km ( 285 mi) ..

DeadFred:

Never heard of anyone taking a cab from Madrid to Pamplona. That said, some has probably done it. It will be expensive.

Ultreya,
Joe

Bus from the airport to Pamplona. Note the days of operation.

upload_2014-2-16_8-53-33.png

The bus ride is five to six hours long.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

-Your itenerary should state to which terminal your flight arrives.

-there is a light rail transit train that supplements the Madrid Metro system. Its operated on Renfe tracks by Renfe and is called Cercanius. The Cercanius train connects to downtown Madrid with stops at the Renfe stations - Chamartin and Puerta de Atocha. You can purchase the ticket for Cercanius train from a machine at T4. I don't know if you can also purchase your ticket to Pamplona.

-At Puerta de Atocha you can purchase a ticket for trains to Pamplona from a person.

-The train takes about 3 hours to get to Pamplona from Madrid. It takes about an hour to get from the airport to the train station.

-A bus to Pamplona leaves from airport T4 and takes about 5 hours. There is a transfer at Soria.

-There are buses and trains leaving at different hours. Your arrival time may determine which option is best.

-If your intention is to start walking in SJPdP you are advised to travel via San Sebastian Irun and Bayonne. At time of writing there is but one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPdP from end March to end September.

-A taxi from Madrid to SJPdp would be very expensive. Its Rough Order Magnitude 100 euro Pamplona to SJPdP by taxi.

-There is information on Renfe site regarding dorado cards (senior cards)

I had planned on taking the Fernandezr's option last April - i.e. taking the bus from MAD to Pamplona since the logistics seemed simpler. I came close to pre-booking this bus ticket online but am so glad that I did not. Upon arrival in mid-morning, I went to the bus station and found that the schedule had changed completely. I missed one bus by a few minutes and the next one wasn't available until hours later. That was when I looked at the train option and was very happy with the train. In general, in all countries, I prefer train to bus travel for the same reasons that another poster had mentioned - and this was true in Spain as well. The 40% senior discount made the ride even more pleasant! (BTW, seniors also get discount on some buses!!) One thing I always keep in mind while traveling: plan as much as I can but also be prepared for the unexpected. I'll stick my neck out saying this: The printed/online schedules are not always precise (they are more so in some countries, like Germany and Scandinavian countries.) I've lived in Italy and traveled in Spain and France - there are just too many disruptions with services (strikes, holidays....)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the shares are ok Fred @ 12.50 there is a plane [ Iberia] for $200 oz and you land in 55 minutes.....1.50pm in Pamplona.

Its a long day getting to StJ thus the importance ***if possible of flying to Paris and then continue in the air to Biarritz....if early great prices.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I, too, am qualified(?) for Tarjeta Dorada, but someone suggested that I buy the Renfe ticket on-line in advance for a lower fare. Especially using P(romo) Fare. Yesterday I logged on to Renfe.com and found that the day I travel in April, the preferente fare was only one euro more than turista. E29.XX vs E30.XX So I jumped on the opportunity and proceeded to buy the ticket only to find my credit card rejected the foreign transaction for fear of fraudulent one. The credit card company called me immediately, and I told them I made the transaction. I went back to Renfe web site to make the reservation again to find the preferente fare is now about 8 Euro more than turista. I decided to treat myself with preferente fare ( E38.30) anyway.

Few lessons here:
1. I compared the same journey using Fenfe's American agent, pretrabax.com/renfe. It is cheaper to go directly with Renfe if you can make some senses out of written Spanish. Some parts are in English and Some parts are in Spanish. Error messages are in Spanish - Get your Google Translate ready. Their naming system and address system is a little confusing, but I finally figured out.
2. Fares are subject to change as I found out.
3. There are a few "train stations" in Madrid. Selecting "Madrid Puerta de Atocha" station for departing point worked for me.
4. P fare, or Promo fare, is "up to 70% discount" so, your ticket will become a piece of paper if your plan changes.

Video .. getting from MAD to Renfe Atocha Train Station

How to buy a ticket at the Madrid Atocha train station

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you want to book the train online in advance, is there any way to buy a Tarjeta Dorada while still in the USA to use for the purchase?

It is my understanding that you cannot buy Tarjeta Dorada on line. You have to be at one of Renfe stations and show your ID in order to buy one. If you want to book in advance, and if you are sure of your itinerary, see my post above. You will save more money by buying tickets on P fare (Promo fare) basis. When you have to buy a train ticket not much in advance, as is the case with my return trip, you can buy the discount card and the ticket at the same time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back