• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renovations in the Albergue in Sobrado dos Monxes

peregrina2000

Staff member
Looks like there has been yet another ”remodeling” of the albergue in the monastery of Sobrado dos Monxes. I have stayed there twice — once in a wing of the monastery that seems to have been closed, and once in the place that has just been remodeled. The article describes the renovations as having been focused on lighting, ventilation, and spacing of beds. 737,000 € seems like a huge investment for an albergue with 98 beds.

And I have to say that I think pilgrims on the Norte now have a very difficult choice. Monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes or 6 km further on to the Abeiro da Loba, which is a fantastic eco-albergue in a tiny village. Built in the ruins of the current owner’s grandparents’ farmhouse. It is gorgeous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hopefully they will do something about the floors in the shower area. When I was there in 2019 they were a smooth concrete painted with a glossy paint - add water and soap and it was like an ice rink!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And I have to say that I think pilgrims on the Norte now have a very difficult choice. Monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes or 6 km further on to the Abeiro da Loba, which is a fantastic eco-albergue in a tiny village. Built in the ruins of the current owner’s grandparents’ farmhouse. It is gorgeous
Wow, that place looks gorgeous!

The ambiance certainly has changed!

March 2007 I detoured from Arzua to Sobrado dos Monxes monastery, stayed at the then very basic pilgrim albergue; there also was a separate hospederia for visitors. This monastery complex is a Baroque masterpiece, but in 2007 the albergue dorm was actually in a slightly renovated ex-stable; it was freezing!

Last edited:
This monastery complex is a Baroque masterpiece, but in 2007 the albergue dorm was actually in a slightly renovated ex-stable; it was freezing!
That’s where I slept in 2006, I think it was. I remember that the bathrooms were not really up to human standards but I had no idea it was a stable!

The church facade has been cleaned, but I don’t think 737,000 € would have been enough to fund a full restoration of the church and other parts of the monastery. Has any forum member been inside those parts recently? FB4125F1-B94C-42FE-B168-0DAFAD7F6E4E.jpeg836BAB99-7CA9-412A-8BB2-637557C02F42.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s the most extraordinary place with a sublime feeling of peace, but was in a truly terrible state of disrepair when we were there several years ago. Vegetation growing through the roof in places. I hope the money has been spent on saving the fabric of the building.

In March 2007 when I detoured to Sobrado from the Camino Frances at Arzua; the round trip walk was roughly 50 km.

When the porter saw my American passport he delightedly (and silently) pointed to several library shelves filled with the works of Thomas Merton, the renowned American Trappist.

Alone in the afternoon I wandered through the many structures in awe. No other pilgrims were about; only one other 'outsider' and I attended Vespers. The evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison. It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

However that frigid ex-stable albergue dorm remains unforgetable for being so very uncomfortable. I left at sunrise.

I hope the money has been spent on saving the fabric of the building.
The article spoke of 1.5 million:
They took advantage of the visit to see the work carried out in the church , in which 1.5 million were invested in a project to eliminate humidity.
Whatever that means.
I suppose at the very least the roof has been repaired.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because we live very close we did visit the monastery in december last year and even got a tour around the, at that moment nearly finished renovated albergue. It is beautifully renovated. Forget about all the negative aspects which it had before and think about the beauty of al the aspects of the place.
Because it was so ready (it only needed a last cleaunup) I was surprised that it was closed this year. Let us just hope that we can enjoy the full glory of it next year!

Looks like there has been yet another ”remodeling” of the albergue in the monastery of Sobrado dos Monxes. I have stayed there twice — once in a wing of the monastery that seems to have been closed, and once in the place that has just been remodeled. The article describes the renovations as having been focused on lighting, ventilation, and spacing of beds. 737,000 € seems like a huge investment for an albergue with 98 beds.

And I have to say that I think pilgrims on the Norte now have a very difficult choice. Monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes or 6 km further on to the Abeiro da Loba, which is a fantastic eco-albergue in a tiny village. Built in the ruins of the current owner’s grandparents’ farmhouse. It is gorgeous.
Don't forget in Sobrado dos Monxes the magnificent https://alberguelecer.business.site/ that's 200m from the monastery, very convenient with modern equipment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.