• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rent Horse in France

Atthena

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 - Leon to santiago
2016 August 18 Montepellier to spain
Hi!
I will be walking the camino here in august from montpellier to burgos i will finish there.

I would like to go some of the way buy horse back... one day/a few hours at a time is fine a few days rent is also fine.

Do you know any places i can ride horses? Mabey you knoew of a town or mabey you know some specific places that do a few hours træk, a one day træk or a few days træk?

Any contact details/websites will be much appreciated, i have search many times without much luck... im not looking for route information guidebookd and so on, which is what i have found so far...

I am looking for someone i can call to make a booking

Hope you can help!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, this website has a 6-day horseback tour starting in St Jean Pied de Port:
http://www.centre-equestre-marina.com/welcome.html?Itemid=100

The following website offers short and long tours of the camino by horseback, but not in your area:
http://www.caminoacaballo.com/en/

Next one is not on the camino, but may interest you:
http://www.equipyrene.org/fr/

I think you might struggle to find exactly what you are looking for. I met some people on horseback in Los Arcos, who said they were having great difficulty finding places to stay with their horses. I later heard they gave up, had left the camino, and were heading for the south of Spain. There just doesn’t appear to be a good infrastructure for horses at the St Jean Pied de Port end of the Camino Frances. I hope you find something!

Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've read that horses can be hired for the route up to O'Cebreiro.

One day in May I was one of a party of three women with sore feet to ride horses to O'Cebreiro. Great fun! It was the best 35 euros I spent on the camino since it gave my sore feet a rest. We walked like old cowboys for awhile after we arrived but that was a good laugh!
There is information in the Brierley guide. A highly recommended experience!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Now, to be more specific: on the page of the Brierley guide which describes Herrerias, read about Victor Echevarria. I called the afternoon before to reserve. His english is excellent. I sent my pack that day by transport. If you are not a rider, Victor will give you clear instructions and be assured that the horses are well behaved. Have fun!

The OP is walking from Montpellier to Burgos, so will not be anywhere near O’Cebreiro. Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The OP is walking from Montpellier to Burgos, so will not be anywhere near O’Cebreiro. Jill

Very true -but it might be still of interest for people searching for camino+horseback ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Giddyup

Seems in France they also like to dress up in western clothes & line dance. Brings a smile to me every time.

Giddyup

Seems in France they also like to dress up in western clothes & line dance. Brings a smile to me every time.
@MTtoCamino
If I meet any line dancing Frenchmen I won't tell them that I live in Calgary. I never learned to line dance and would be highly embarrassed. Besides, I am going to wear my Tilley hat and leave my Smithbuilt at home. It is bright pink and made out of felt, so would not survive a camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
:):)
@MTtoCamino
If I meet any line dancing Frenchmen I won't tell them that I live in Calgary. I never learned to line dance and would be highly embarrassed. Besides, I am going to wear my Tilley hat and leave my Smithbuilt at home. It is bright pink and made out of felt, so would not survive a camino.
Yep the rain humidity even with a cover would get it droopy but folks could spot you in the distance, you might even get asked to dance. Kinda funny to think you have one of the largest rodeos in the world but maybe learn to line dance in France... Keep me posted

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back