• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rent Horse in France

Atthena

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 - Leon to santiago
2016 August 18 Montepellier to spain
Hi!
I will be walking the camino here in august from montpellier to burgos i will finish there.

I would like to go some of the way buy horse back... one day/a few hours at a time is fine a few days rent is also fine.

Do you know any places i can ride horses? Mabey you knoew of a town or mabey you know some specific places that do a few hours træk, a one day træk or a few days træk?

Any contact details/websites will be much appreciated, i have search many times without much luck... im not looking for route information guidebookd and so on, which is what i have found so far...

I am looking for someone i can call to make a booking

Hope you can help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, this website has a 6-day horseback tour starting in St Jean Pied de Port:
http://www.centre-equestre-marina.com/welcome.html?Itemid=100

The following website offers short and long tours of the camino by horseback, but not in your area:
http://www.caminoacaballo.com/en/

Next one is not on the camino, but may interest you:
http://www.equipyrene.org/fr/

I think you might struggle to find exactly what you are looking for. I met some people on horseback in Los Arcos, who said they were having great difficulty finding places to stay with their horses. I later heard they gave up, had left the camino, and were heading for the south of Spain. There just doesn’t appear to be a good infrastructure for horses at the St Jean Pied de Port end of the Camino Frances. I hope you find something!

Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've read that horses can be hired for the route up to O'Cebreiro.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
One day in May I was one of a party of three women with sore feet to ride horses to O'Cebreiro. Great fun! It was the best 35 euros I spent on the camino since it gave my sore feet a rest. We walked like old cowboys for awhile after we arrived but that was a good laugh!
There is information in the Brierley guide. A highly recommended experience!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now, to be more specific: on the page of the Brierley guide which describes Herrerias, read about Victor Echevarria. I called the afternoon before to reserve. His english is excellent. I sent my pack that day by transport. If you are not a rider, Victor will give you clear instructions and be assured that the horses are well behaved. Have fun!

The OP is walking from Montpellier to Burgos, so will not be anywhere near O’Cebreiro. Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The OP is walking from Montpellier to Burgos, so will not be anywhere near O’Cebreiro. Jill

Very true -but it might be still of interest for people searching for camino+horseback ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Giddyup

Seems in France they also like to dress up in western clothes & line dance. Brings a smile to me every time.

Giddyup

Seems in France they also like to dress up in western clothes & line dance. Brings a smile to me every time.
@MTtoCamino
If I meet any line dancing Frenchmen I won't tell them that I live in Calgary. I never learned to line dance and would be highly embarrassed. Besides, I am going to wear my Tilley hat and leave my Smithbuilt at home. It is bright pink and made out of felt, so would not survive a camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
:):)
@MTtoCamino
If I meet any line dancing Frenchmen I won't tell them that I live in Calgary. I never learned to line dance and would be highly embarrassed. Besides, I am going to wear my Tilley hat and leave my Smithbuilt at home. It is bright pink and made out of felt, so would not survive a camino.
Yep the rain humidity even with a cover would get it droopy but folks could spot you in the distance, you might even get asked to dance. Kinda funny to think you have one of the largest rodeos in the world but maybe learn to line dance in France... Keep me posted

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back