• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rental cars vs train/bus

Auntie MRM

Time of past OR future Camino
Pre-Camino Frances
Three of us will fly into Madrid from U.S. and plan to begin Pilgrimage from O Cebreiro. It appears that the least complicated transportation is to rent a car UNLESS the vehicle cannot be left in O Cebreiro. Does anyone know whether a rented auto can be returned in O Cebreiro or Piedrafita do Cebreiro ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These are quite small mountain villages with no car rental agencies. While it might be possible to arrange one-way car rental it would have to be by special arrangement which I would expect to be expensive. It would probably be more practical to travel by train/bus to Ponferrada or Villafranca del Bierzo then take a taxi to O Cebreiro.

Edited: A postscript. The largest Spanish bus company Alsa runs buses from Madrid to Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Usually changing in Ponferrada. At the moment several each day - including a service from the airport. From 5.5 to 6.5 hours travel time. Prices may vary for day and time but currently their website offers 33 euro single fare. Bookable online. www.alsa.es

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seems to me that the least complicated transportation is to get on a train or bus and let someone else do the driving and navigation! It is also a great way to get an understanding of the country you are visiting.
Thanks, "C clearly" for responding. I have found that driving through a new area is a great way to learn about it. One can stop whenever one gets curious and wants to spend a bit of time in a particular area.

These are quite small mountain villages with no car rental agencies. While it might be possible to arrange one-way car rental it would have to be by special arrangement which I would expect to be expensive. It would probably be more practical to travel by train/bus to Ponferrada or Villafranca del Bierzo then take a taxi to O Cebreiro.

Edited: A postscript. The largest Spanish bus company Alsa runs buses from Madrid to Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Usually changing in Ponferrada. At the moment several each day - including a service from the airport. From 5.5 to 6.5 hours travel time. Prices may vary for day and time but currently their website offers 33 euro single fare. Bookable online. www.alsa.es
Thanks, Bradypus, for responding. It's the changes (train/bus/taxi) that sound complicated! I did a general 'google' for transportation and one site said about $90 to drive from Madrid to Piedrafita. However, when I check CarRental agencies, no options are presented for dropping off auto at a different location. I'll have to check 'Train' again, as I didn't see one to Ponferrada area. Thanks again!....a/m

Hi there,
I would suggest to start in Sint Jean Pied de Port, it is only 7 km further but later you will regret this if you don't. It is easy to find transportation from Pamplona station to SJPP or to find parking place at SJPP.
I parked my car in SJPP at a camping site. Cheap and guarded.
My friend who I met on the Camino will walk again and this time from SJPP instead of Roncevalles. he just got the feeling to miss a little piece.
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would suggest to start in Sint Jean Pied de Port, it is only 7 km further but later you will regret this if you don't.
This is a misunderstanding of the original post! @AuntieMRM is planning to start in O Cebreiro, which is about 650 km from St Jean Pied de Port.

Roncesvalles is 25 km from SJPP, not 7.

Besides, I don't think you should plan or expect to regret where you start, even if you decide to start somewhere else the next time! My first camino started in Astorga and I have certainly never regretted that.

Thanks, Bradypus, for responding. It's the changes (train/bus/taxi) that sound complicated! I did a general 'google' for transportation and one site said about $90 to drive from Madrid to Piedrafita. However, when I check CarRental agencies, no options are presented for dropping off auto at a different location. I'll have to check 'Train' again, as I didn't see one to Ponferrada area. Thanks again!....a/m

Madrid to Ponferrada by Renfe Train.

Ponferrada to Piedrafita do Cebreiro by ALSA bus.

Pedrafita (sp is different) do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro by Monbus bus (or taxi or walk since the bus is once daily)

Notes

Renfe trains to Ponferrada leave from Madrid Chamartin. (the other station is Puerta de Atocha)

Madrid Airport to Chamartin:

a. Renfe Cercanias train from T4

b. Madrid Metro from T1T2T3 or T4

ALSA buses from Madrid to Ponferrada and onward to Piedrafita do Cebreiro leave from Madrid Estacion Sur, Moncloa, and (conveniently) from Airport T4, alternating according to schedule.

Estacion Sur (Metro stn Mendez Alvaro) and Moncloa are accessed from the Airport via Madrid Metro involving several (easy) transfers.

Estacion Sur is also connected to Airport T4 by Renfe Cercanias.

Piedrafita do Cebreiro is a large village. I doubt you'd find a place to return a rented car there. I'd try Ponferrada instead.

Thanks, "C clearly" for responding. I have found that driving through a new area is a great way to learn about it. One can stop whenever one gets curious and wants to spend a bit of time in a particular area.
The problem is that the places whose name you see when planning a Camino are mostly tiny little villages, some with only a bar (cafe) and certainly not tourism hubs where to return a rental car. And when walking the Camino you will have olenty of time to stop if curious and spend a bit more time there, even if it is a one street village. I would opt for simplicity and hop on the bus. It is very simple.

There are buses leaving the Madrid airport. It doesn't get easier than that. Take a look at the Alsa website. You didn't say what day and time you arrive, so I put in some day in mid-March and it tells me there is a bus leaving Barajas at 10, arriving Piedrafita 4:40 pm. It really doesn't get any easier than that, and you sleep on the bus, getting over jetlag, rather than falling asleep at the wheel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Avis seem to have an office in Ponferrada. Like you I am a fan of car hire for convenience, cost and exploring a country. A hire car to Ponferrada and a taxi between the 3 of you to O Cebreiro should work well. I would walk from Ponferrada or at least Villafranca if you have the time it is a wonderful part of Spain.

Avis Agent
Mateo Garza 23, Leon, Ponferrada, 24400.
24-hour drop-off

Avis currently offering one-way hire Madrid Barajas to Ponferrada same day pick up and drop for iro €300. Note that the drop-off closes at 19:00 and they will charge you an extra full days hire if you turn up late. Alternatively you could drop at Santiago airport & bus it from there as described above.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back