• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renting a bike just for a day in Porto

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, my recommendation would be to take the red and/or green double decker bus tours from the main plaza. I know it sounds cheesy but the streets are very busy with traffic and also very narrow. On top of that the topo is really hilly. The bus has a recorded audio describing the places along the route and you can hop off and on at the stops. "A true pilgrim experience, n'est pas?"

The double decker bus tours around Oporto are wonderful, and probably the best way to get to see much of the important areas in the city with great audio information. It is quite busy as biarritzdon mentions plus I think it's very risky to be on a bike- especially on a work day, however, it's not impossible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone rented a bike for site seeing in Porto, just for a day?

Blue Dragon, R. de Alexandre Herculano 251, 4000-053 Porto

They also have "talking cars" which are like golf buggies with spoken information. Last October, found their guided cycle tours of Porto excellent as the guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Porto depended on tourism which was cut during Covid, so they are very pleased to see you.

Must also add though I had a bike with me, I hired their ebikes as Porto is split over two cliffs above the Duoro river. There are a few hills.

Attachments

• _04_5ecfcf3ad06cd.jpg
    _04_5ecfcf3ad06cd.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Porto has a nice antique tramline that leads from the center along the Douro river almost to the Atlantic coast. A nice tour
and it is a nice stroll to the coast and back by the tram of in reverse.
Almost at the end of the tramline after the big motorway bridge is a small ferry
opposite the landing of the ferry is a small bar where locals sing and play fado music. Very nice ask the tourist info when this happens to be. We went by tram to the place and had a nice afternoon with the locals and musicians.

Last edited:
Has anyone rented a bike for site seeing in Porto, just for a day? If so, recommendations? Please and thank you. :)
Near bridge on Porto side.
We cycled back over bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia side and went south along the Coast. Turned around at an old Seaside Chapel.
One of the best days of our trip.
Came back a couple years later to do the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Near bridge on Porto side.
We cycled back over bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia side and went south along the Coast. Turned around at an old Seaside Chapel.
One of the best days of our trip.
Came back a couple years later to do the Camino.
We're planning to walk the CP (starting in Porto) next month. Any suggestions or tips that you'd care to share?

We're planning to walk the CP (starting in Porto) next month. Any suggestions or tips that you'd care to share?
2019 (walk) - My wife and I used the "Brierley CP Guide" - Did Coastal to Vila do Conde then cut over to Central.
We stayed 2 nights in Porto upon arrival to recover from plane trip. Take two days to get to Vila Do Conde (we did one cause of bad weather.) We stayed 2 nights in Barcelos to do Braga side trip. Book places one or days ahead (we did Booking.com for most). We stayed in mostly private room accommodations by preference (didn't want to get stuck in top bunk). Brierley Guide helps you not miss worthy landmarks/sites. We started going past designated stops and staying at smaller towns. Some places had their own food service. When we come back in the future we will do the Coastal with Spiritual Variant, for a change of scenery. We did love the Central.

Personally, my recommendation would be to take the red and/or green double decker bus tours from the main plaza. I know it sounds cheesy but the streets are very busy with traffic and also very narrow
We did that years ago when our kids were small in Barcelona and I was amazed how easy and good the experience was.
Or you could just walk. It is a great city to walk in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
2019 (walk) - My wife and I used the "Brierley CP Guide" - Did Coastal to Vila do Conde then cut over to Central.
We stayed 2 nights in Porto upon arrival to recover from plane trip. Take two days to get to Vila Do Conde (we did one cause of bad weather.) We stayed 2 nights in Barcelos to do Braga side trip. Book places one or days ahead (we did Booking.com for most). We stayed in mostly private room accommodations by preference (didn't want to get stuck in top bunk). Brierley Guide helps you not miss worthy landmarks/sites. We started going past designated stops and staying at smaller towns. Some places had their own food service. When we come back in the future we will do the Coastal with Spiritual Variant, for a change of scenery. We did love the Central.
I discovered to travel to Braga its quicker and simpler to do a day trip from Porto. Only 1 bus and takes an hour. 7€. Much easier than negotiating yoyr way from Barcelos.

I discovered to travel to Braga its quicker and simpler to do a day trip from Porto. Only 1 bus and takes an hour. 7€. Much easier than negotiating yoyr way from Barcelos.
There is a direct train to Braga from Porto São Bento orCampanhá station. 45 minutes and 7€ fair .The station is directly near the towncenter.

Braga is a beautiful town , an ancient Roman city. The month of May is interesting because of Roman games there will be held in the center
most interesting is the sánctuario do Bom Jesus do Monte World heritage site
An beautiful church on a hill overseeing Braga .
ask the tourist info where the bus stop is to that famius landmark.
it is outside the town .

another interesting place is the ancient Portuguese capital Guimarães .
easy to acces by train to. Beautiful town wih an early medieval castle.

Trains also go from SãoBento and Campanhá

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back