• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renting a mobile phone for the Camino

Dusty

Time of past OR future Camino
November 25, (2018)
Does anyone have a suggestion as to renting a mobile phone for a week and only for emergency use?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a ' dumb ' phone for an elderly family member recently . No bells or whistles , just a phone for emergency use . It cost Aus $36. and came with $10 worth of call time included .
I doubt if you could rent a phone for less , see what the major phone companies have on offer , they usually keep these cheap options under the counter so ask directly at a store . Once you have no further use for it you could always pass it onto to a pilgrim that has a similar need or has lost their own phone .

On further investigation it seems I paid far too much at $36 :eek:

Here is one for the princely sum of $19.

https://www.target.com.au/p/optus-x...vwFfM-L-JIBkWAPYaqBoCFbkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
My apologies I don't know if rentals, but I would guess your cellular provider would rent you one. I would guess that would be the expensive route.

You can purchase a prepaid (prepago) SIM and local telephone number (if your phone isn't 100% CDMA or it isn't locked by your carrier) or prepaid phone packages (no contract) within Spain. Movistar (Telefonica), Orange, Vodafone and a few other companies are the bigger players. I purchased a SIM for about 20 euros and it came with 6GB of data and an hour or two of talk time. If you have a smart phone you just have to be careful and make sure you don't have apps that are using data in the background or keep the phone off/airplane mode.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Everything @Darby67 said. I bought a SIM for my unblocked IPhone in Pamplona from Movistar. Cost was about $20-30 as I recall. Perfect for making local calls and accessing occasional apps like mapping while enroute. Also, as he said, turn off background data use of your apps or they will eat up your data allocation. It worked fine. Only thing that would have made it better was me being able to speak Spanish.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back