• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renting/buying bikes in St Jean Pied de Port

kweeveen

Hi there,

I am planning on cycling the Camino Frances in June and want to buy (or possibly rent) a bike over there instead of bringing one over from Ireland. Preferably a second-hand one that I could just give away or possibly sell in Compostela.

Does anyone know of any bike shops in St Jean or any towns/cities nearby? Do you think it is realistic to pick one up over there instead of buying it in Ireland? Is the idea even feasible?!?!?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can hire bikes to ride the camino:

http://www.cycling-rentals.com/equipments/bikemodels on camino de santiago

Tour’n’ride will ship the bike with SEUR (the FedEx of Spain) to St Jean. You pick it up and bike then bike back to Santiago and return it there.
http://www.tournride.com/

You could also rent or buy from the Mundicamino site: http://www.mundicamino.com/
Click on the green bicycle advert on the home page.
# We rent and sell bikes to you specially designed to make the Way of Santiago.
# You can get them in the point of the Way that you wish gratuitously.
# All the bicycles are in perfect conditions.
# Service of collection in Santiago de Compostela.
# For that they use their own bike we offer a service of return or transport to the point of origin. More information to write to mundicamino@mundicamino.com special prices.
# All bikes are given (even though it is not possible to be seen in the photo) with panniers

Hi

Besides those companies you also have bikeiberia (bikeiberia.com), that also delivers bikes where you need and will collect them when you've finished! They come highly recommended on TripAdvisor.com and I confirmed just that when I rented bikes from them this May to do the Camino! Very professional service and team and quite helpful through all stages. Drop them an e-mail to see if they can help you!
I've been meaning to post about my Camino biking experience but just didn't have the time yet, will do sometime soon.

Baltazar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I am planning on cycling from Lyon in France to Santiago in July/ august this year. Does anyone know of a bike rental place that will send bikes that far. Otherwise is there anyone good to buy a bike from in Lyon?

Hi,

I'm still on the way of walking to Le-Puy all the way to Finisterra, starting the walk 4th of October.
But, having quite heavy back/spinal/hip problems, am looking for a back-up plan; riding the whole way on a bicycle.

My original plan was to do a long ride this autumn, but then it changed to walking the camino for a few reasons. I'm still set in my head to walk it, but just in case....

So, what are the options of buing a bicycle from Le-Puy and then maybe selling it in the end? Or buying a bike from Paris and taking it on the train?

Unlike big box stores in the USA, French stores such as Carrefour carry some decent bikes. I would not recommend a really cheap bike for a trip such as that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with Newfy, having ridden il Primitivo twice and VDLP once. You want the lightest bike with the best level of components that is possible. The cheaper, the heavier and possibly more chance of something breaking

Hi

Besides those companies you also have bikeiberia (bikeiberia.com), that also delivers bikes where you need and will collect them when you've finished! They come highly recommended on TripAdvisor.com and I confirmed just that when I rented bikes from them this May to do the Camino! Very professional service and team and quite helpful through all stages. Drop them an e-mail to see if they can help you!
I've been meaning to post about my Camino biking experience but just didn't have the time yet, will do sometime soon.

Baltazar

Hi Baltazar,
Did you do the camino frances? if so, where did you have it delivered. I want to stay at the refuge municipal but it seems like they don't accept bike deliveries.

Grace

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back