• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renting/Passing on Equipment

mary flo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: March 15-April 15 2016

Camino Portugues: 2019
Hi all! Have some logistical questions regarding trekking poles. Is there any place that you can rent gear such as trekking poles? I am planning to invest in some new foldable Black Diamonds this year seeing as I do a lot of hiking in New England and wanted to bring them on the Camino but I'm coming from the states and desperately do not want to check my bag and know I can't bring trekking poles in a carry on bag. Would be pretty great to be able to rent or pass gear on to another pilgrim. Any thoughts on if this is available anywhere? I'll be doing the Camino Frances starting in SJPDP. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about packing the poles in a cardboard tube and check them in? So you have to check them in, big deal. Unless you are flying some inexpensive airline, you're allowed one check in with your ticket.
Whatever you do, don't mail them ahead, it'll be held in customs hell waiting for you to pay up.

How about packing the poles in a cardboard tube and check them in?
I did this. Found a very small box and packed my poles and Swiss Army knife with corkscrew and check this small box only. Then carried on my pack with everything else. Worked great and if something had gone wrong it would have just been the poles and knife which could have been replaced.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks @L Squared & @Bajaracer! I am flying an inexpensive airline so they do charge for everything. I already have to pay for my carry on if it's over 11lbs so I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy my trekking poles there and then just pay to bring them back. Have you guys ever heard of a company that does rent gear like that along the Camino? Thanks again for the info!

FWIW, I flew to Paris on Norwegian and flew back on IcelandAir and no problems carrying on Pacer Poles on either one. And I was flying from/to Orlando, where security tends to confiscate even the Harry Potter light sabres that little kids bring home as souvenirs.

EDIT In the US at least, it doesn't make any difference which airline, as long as your carry-on fits in the size box. The TSA are the only ones who inspect the contents, normally. In Europe it's different with some budget airlines, and some airports. FWIW, this forum had made me concerned about taking a backpack as a carry-on, but on all my flights I would say that about 40% of the passengers who did carry any kind of bag had backpacks, and I don't mean little day packs.

Last edited:
Thanks @L Squared & @Bajaracer! I am flying an inexpensive airline so they do charge for everything. I already have to pay for my carry on if it's over 11lbs so I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy my trekking poles there and then just pay to bring them back. Have you guys ever heard of a company that does rent gear like that along the Camino? Thanks again for the info!

If you buy the Black Diamond Z-Poles, remove the screw on metal spike tips and replace them with the small tech tips (they come with the poles) and then buy and slip the big rubber tip protector over that. I also brought a spare pair of the tip protectors as well. You have a better chance of being able to pack them in your pack if there is no metal tips on the end.
The only rental places are probably for bicycle rental equipment.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en...1240000ALL1.html#cgid=trekking-poles&start=22

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en...0690000ALL1.html#cgid=trekking-poles&start=21

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone! Looks like the airline doesn't have a problem with it, it's just getting through security at Boston Logan but I just spoke with a friend who had no problems when travelling out to hike Zion so I'm hoping I'm all set. :)

I've had no problems bringing poles on the plane except in Santiago.

No problem for me last September/October in Salt Lake City, Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago O'Hare, Madrid, or Pamplona. I checked my poles in Santiago and witnesses someone, going through security, have their poles removed even though they folded up and fit completely within their carry-on luggage. YMMV.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.