• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Reopening Portugal?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarisz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
We have tickets to Lisbon for May 28. Does anybody know a specific source where up-to-date information can be found about government regulations and the lifting of restrictions in Portugal? It seems we may have to wait until the last possible date with cancellation as many European countries now implement new reopening strategies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is the official site for Portugal's response to the virus (Portuguese language only).

Portugal is reopening, with phase two to begin on Monday (including the opening of museums/sites and opening of restaurants and bars at 50% capacity) and phase three on June 1 (including opening of all shops). As I understand it, there is currently no mandatory isolation period for those entering mainland Portugal.

I am wondering if any albuergues will be open in Portugal...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We have tickets to Lisbon for May 28. Does anybody know a specific source where up-to-date information can be found about government regulations and the lifting of restrictions in Portugal? It seems we may have to wait until the last possible date with cancellation as many European countries now implement new reopening strategies.

There is a few people walking now. And there is accommodation all the way to the Spanish border. The municipal albergues are not open though. They will be the last to open.

But call Miguel from Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto. They are starting to open up and just got affordable private rooms. He can also help you finding accommodation along the route - he knows what is open.

And you might want to make a reservation in Porto too.

Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto
R. do BarĂŁo de Forrester 954
4050-350 Porto
Portugal

+351 22 014 0515
info@albergueperegrinosporto.pt

Bom Caminho,
Andy

There is a few people walking now. And there is accommodation all the way to the Spanish border. The municipal albergues are not open though. They will be the last to open.

But call Miguel from Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto. They are starting to open up and just got affordable private rooms. He can also help you finding accommodation along the route - he knows what is open.

4050-350 Porto
Portugal

+351 22 014 0515

Bom Caminho,
Andy

Hey Andy, thanks so much :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is great to hear! I'm hanging out to go on camino. If I started walking mid June it might be a bit risky as to whether we will be able to cross over into Spain by the time we reach the border. What do you all think? I'm thinking of camping along the way so as to avoid pricey hostels.

This is great to hear! I'm hanging out to go on camino. If I started walking mid June it might be a bit risky as to whether we will be able to cross over into Spain by the time we reach the border. What do you all think? I'm thinking of camping along the way so as to avoid pricey hostels.

I think the terrestial border between Portugal and Spain will not be open until July 1st at the earliest. But I think I'll bring some extra money and a sleeping pad just in case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, our flight has been cancelled. We had to postpone our Camino.

I live in Portugal and things are definitely progressing here and I know of a couple of albergues that have been open for a while now.

From Monday the 'Civic duty to stay at home' officially ends, so non essential travel is absolutely fine now. Reality is that a lot of people here have been travelling, going away for weekends etc for a while now anyway, but I thought I'd wait until it was official.

So it's good news. So many people wrote off this year but I remained optimistic that things could happen on the camino front. Just have to wait for the Spanish border to open now. I did read that might be from mid June, fingers crossed.

I live in Portugal and things are definitely progressing here and I know of a couple of albergues that have been open for a while now.

From Monday the 'Civic duty to stay at home' officially ends, so non essential travel is absolutely fine now. Reality is that a lot of people here have been travelling, going away for weekends etc for a while now anyway, but I thought I'd wait until it was official.

So it's good news. So many people wrote off this year but I remained optimistic that things could happen on the camino front. Just have to wait for the Spanish border to open now. I did read that might be from mid June, fingers crossed.
ThanksAnthikes, that was a very helpful info. will be in portugal from the 17th of june and start making my way up north than. buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Great news thanks, @anthikes. I'm planning on visiting your beautiful country late June and walking from Porto. Awesome to hear some albergues are already open!

Now it looks like the Portuguese-Spanish border will be closed through the end of June, per this article in the Diário de Notícias this afternoon (in Portuguese). Currently the border is closed until the 15th of June, and there had been hope that it would open at that time.
"Se as próprias autoridades espanholas já disseram que antes de 01 de julho não haverá liberdade de circulação, provavelmente temos de manter encerrada a fronteira terrestre todo este mês de junho", admitiu o ministro da Administração Interna, Eduardo Cabrita.
Paraphrasing the Portuguese official: Given that the Spanish authorities have said there won't be internal freedom of movement before July 1st, we probably have to keep the border closed for all of June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

4050-350 Porto
Portugal

+351 22 014 0515

Bom Caminho,
Andy

Brilliant! have done the route from Porto but would like to truck up from Lisbon ( which I love) and so complete the route. Too old and infirm :) for Albergues so would use private accommodation anyway.

Buen Camhino,

The malingerer.

Well, even if you can’t go to Portugal, here are some recommendations of novels set in Portugal. I have read two, need to read a few more!
Many thanks for this link. Which two have you read, and do you recommend them?

Well, even if you can’t go to Portugal, here are some recommendations of novels set in Portugal. I have read two, need to read a few more!

Interesting premise because after 3.5 years here I'm still mostly in the non-fiction stage that he mentioned at the beginning in terms of learning about Portugal (also because I have to read non-fiction to prepare tours). The two non-fiction books he mentioned, Conquerers and The Portuguese, are two of the three that I recommend to people (the other being This Gulf of Fire about the earthquake).

Of the novels listed, I've only read Night Train to Lisbon. One of the problems I have is that I don't like reading in translation, especially if I can speak the original language to a reasonable degree. I tried to read a Saramago novel in Portuguese but it was extremely difficult because he doesn't use punctuation and sometimes his sentences can go for a whole page. I don't think that style really appeals to me, even though it would naturally be easier in translation. Of the others, The Return looks like the most interesting one to me so I might check it out, though I'm currently working on a long list of less literary Portuguese novels (Dan Brown style 'thrillers' by José Rodrigues dos Santos) that I'm reading more for language than culture.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back