• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replace a Lost Compostela?

Brian K

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2015, 2017, 2018 - Portuguese 2022
Hi,

Not sure if this is possible. I walked my first Camino in November of 2015 and arrived in Santiago in Early December. Like most first time pilgrims I was excited to get my Compostela. I have since misplaced both my Compostela and Pilgrim Passport from that Camino. My first Camino was a very powerful and life changing event for me and I would very muck like to get a replacement for it. Does anyone have a contact at the Pilgrims office who could answer this question for me. Wasn't sure if they kept a record of all the Compostelas that are issued. As I also misplaced my Pilgrim Passport I'm not sure of the exact day I arrived but I think is was December 5th 2015.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I will be in Santiago in December this year as I plan to walk the Frances again in November.

Thanks,
Brian

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't have personal knowledge Brian, hopefully one of our members who has worked in the Pilgrims Office may step in, but I doubt there is much that can be done. As far as I know only statistics are kept (numbers of arrivals, countries from where they have come, starting place, etc) and not individual details. It would be an overwhelming amount of data, considering it would include millions of people if you count the cumulative totals since it was introduced in the 1980s.

I don't have personal knowledge Brian, hopefully one of our members who has worked in the Pilgrims Office may step in, but I doubt there is much that can be done. As far as I know only statistics are kept (numbers of arrivals, countries from where they have come, starting place, etc) and not individual details. It would be an overwhelming amount of data, considering it would include millions of people if you count the cumulative totals since it was introduced in the 1980s.
Appreciate your feedback Kanga. I think it's probably a lost cause but thought I'd check!
Thanks
Brian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola @Brian K Given that you have lost both the Compostela and the Passport you no longer have any evidence that you walked the Camino. As I recall when you present your Passport it is stamped in the last box as evidence that you have completed your Camino and you are then issued your Compostela. I agree with Kanga its unlikely that you can get a replacement.
Mine are in two frames hanging on my study wall. Cheers

Hola @Brian K Given that you have lost both the Compostela and the Passport you no longer have any evidence that you walked the Camino. As I recall when you present your Passport it is stamped in the last box as evidence that you have completed your Camino and you are then issued your Compostela. I agree with Kanga its unlikely that you can get a replacement.
Mine are in two frames hanging on my study wall. Cheers
Appreciate the Feedback Mike. The sad thing is that at one point I had them both in a frame on the wall but it fell and broke.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

Not sure if this is possible. I walked my first Camino in November of 2015 and arrived in Santiago in Early December. Like most first time pilgrims I was excited to get my Compostela. I have since misplaced both my Compostela and Pilgrim Passport from that Camino. My first Camino was a very powerful and life changing event for me and I would very muck like to get a replacement for it. Does anyone have a contact at the Pilgrims office who could answer this question for me. Wasn't sure if they kept a record of all the Compostelas that are issued. As I also misplaced my Pilgrim Passport I'm not sure of the exact day I arrived but I think is was December 5th 2015.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I will be in Santiago in December this year as I plan to walk the Frances again in November.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian
While I agree with the others that it is unlikely that you can replace the Compostela without having the requisite credentials from your Camino, it certainly is worth an email to the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago to ask. They are very busy, so it takes a couple of days for them to reply, but in my experience, they do. I misplaced my Compostela while returning from the Camino, but I still had my credential, so the office was able to replace it. The contact info for the Pilgrim's office is:

Oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es

or the physical address:

Oficina de Peregrinos
Rúa das Carretas, 33,
15705 Santiago de Compostela,
A Coruña, Spain

Good luck!

Jeff (from California)

Something like this happened to me @Brian K —— I did try writing to the pilgrim office but did not receive an answer, and I gather that while they used to be able to reply by post, that has not been possible in a while.
So, when I was fortunate enough to walk a second, shorter camino, I presented myself to the office and explained the situation. They looked me up (because we are all in the system) and wrote out a new certificate for me.
There was much weeping on both sides of the counter.
I wish you an opportunity for a second journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Brian
While I agree with the others that it is unlikely that you can replace the Compostela without having the requisite credentials from your Camino, it certainly is worth an email to the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago to ask. They are very busy, so it takes a couple of days for them to reply, but in my experience, they do. I misplaced my Compostela while returning from the Camino, but I still had my credential, so the office was able to replace it. The contact info for the Pilgrim's office is:

Oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es

or the physical address:

Oficina de Peregrinos
Rúa das Carretas, 33,
15705 Santiago de Compostela,
A Coruña, Spain

Good luck!

Jeff (from California)
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Something like this happened to me @Brian K —— I did try writing to the pilgrim office but did not receive an answer, and I gather that while they used to be able to reply by post, that has not been possible in a while.
So, when I was fortunate enough to walk a second, shorter camino, I presented myself to the office and explained the situation. They looked me up (because we are all in the system) and wrote out a new certificate for me.
There was much weeping on both sides of the counter.
I wish you an opportunity for a second journey.
Thanks for the info. I am currently walking the Francis again and will try this!!

Thanks for the info. I am currently walking the Francis again and will try this!!
I was able to give them my starting date, my completion date, and, of course, my standard passport.
I’m sure you will recall your dates — they seem to stick with us, at least the first caminos…
Wishing you very well.
PG (heh… I should rename myself PG Tips).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back