• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replacement blanket

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
On the Portuguese, someone stole my 1lb Costco down coverlet and stuff sack. Any ideas for what and where to replace it? I'm a few day south of Porto.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Portuguese, someone stole my 1lb Costco down coverlet and stuff sack. Any ideas for what and where to replace it? I'm a few day south of Porto.

How disappointing! Is it cold yet??

Your post triggered a tale....bear with me. I was walking along the meseta somewhere, and suddenly I saw, a quarter mile ahead, a sleeping back fall right off the back of a young woman's pack.

How could she have missed the sudden weight reduction? I had a solution! I blew my emergency whistle as hard and loud as I could. The people ahead looked around as if to say, "Was that a bird?" Then, they shrugged it off and continued on.

I caught up to the bag and picked it up. Very lightweight, and seemed brand new. I again BLEWWWWWW that whistle!!!! my ears... yikes! It was painful! No turn-around, nothing. It was then that I realized that my fluorescent super-loud REI whistle was NOTHING out on the Spanish plains!.

I carried it, and carried it, and carried it until the next town. There the woman sat, and as I walked up, her eyes got big. "Is that mine?," she asked. Yes....and I've been carrying it for quite a long ways.

She asked if she owed me a coffee, which I indeed gladly accepted!

That story illustrates beautifully two things:

Pilgrims will go at any length to help other pilgrims.
Emergency whistles are highly overrated in their usefulness.

@frida1 Try asking in the next albergues if they have one in the 'leftover/forgotten box', you will be surprised what you can find in them. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the story and suggestion. It's warm now but could be chilly by the time j reach Santiago and Muxia.

Thanks for the story and suggestion. It's warm now but could be chilly by the time j reach Santiago and Muxia.

You'll pass a few bigger towns/cities until then where you can replace it ;-) The camino provides even shops ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Peop,e have some nerve. My Sea to Summit liner was stolen during dinner at Casa Fernanda! Some people have a lot of nerve, and an eue for good equipment. Very frustrating.

After my liner went missing I tried to buy a bed sheet. It was not until Valenca where I was finally able to find one. Not a fancy one, just one. Not a lot of places to shop on this route.

I strongly suggest you buy a replacement in Porto, be it at the Decathlon or the Ikea in Matosinhos. Ikea has these small fleece blankets, though a bit on the short side.

https://www.google.ca/search?sclien...64.tablet-gws..0.11.851...0i131k1.bsHGNZTDzDY

https://www.google.ca/search?q=deca...fari#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=11315514349706537159

Best of luck for the rest of your route.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry that this happened to you @frida1. If you're buying a sleeping bag in Decathlon, check out the kids' sized ones. The cheap ones that open out into a quilt might be perfect for you.

Hope the rest of your Camino is hassle-free.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.