• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replacement bus service Bayonne to SJPD

Stev0

Steve
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2017
Porto to Santiago October 2017
Santiago to Muxia /Finesterre Nov 2017
Hi all , any ideas on how to get from Bayonne to SJPD with a fully loaded bike , as I am trying to book my train ticket from Calais but the section between Bayonne and SJPD is a replacement bus service as they is ongoing maintenance work on the track, not sure if the bus could accommodate, or any ideas on alternative routes that may have been tried, Im planning on arriving on 08/04, many thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all , any ideas on how to get from Bayonne to SJPD with a fully loaded bike , as I am trying to book my train ticket from Calais but the section between Bayonne and SJPD is a replacement bus service as they is ongoing maintenance work on the track, not sure if the bus could accommodate, or any ideas on alternative routes that may have been tried, Im planning on arriving on 08/04, many thanks

Why not just bike from Bayonne to SJPdP? The distance is roughly 50 km. See this Google map for a route.
https://goo.gl/maps/gUvcXhpCvWS2

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Contact SNCF, the service provider for information about your baggage on the train and the bus.

I don't see that you'll have a problem getting the gear to Bayonne ...

If SNCF bus doesn't carry your gear, your only options from Bayonne are Express Bourricot, a private hire taxi based in SJPdP or hire a local taxi.

If that doesn't work consider riding the bike. Google Earth shows paved shoulder.

It is a safe and not so heavily traveled route. There are some great places to stay along the way not far off the route like Espelette which is famous for it peppers.

According to similar questions on SNCF faqs, it all depends on the type of bus being used - but not sure how far in advance they'll have this info. I've done this trip by 'autocar' before and recall the bus had a lot of storage underneath, but you never know. The official answer given to a pilgrim a couple of years back is as vague as you might expect, but you might have some luck if you "contacter TER Aquitaine" by following the link provided:
http://questions.sncf.com/questions/692426-autocar-prend-velos-bayonne-st-jean-pied-port

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Many thanks for all your replies, I'm booked to travel down on Friday the 7th now, a day earlier as l couldn't get my bike on the train for the Saturday there was no space. I've ordered a book and some maps from the site shop and having read through some of the previous posts I'm now rearing to go, just got to decide on wether to take my mtb bike or my tourer. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back