• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replacement knee joint

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, others, hospitalero, resumed VdlP 2022
I've suffered from a torn meniscus for many years and most recently arthritis in my left knee.
It hasn't ever stopped me walking the Camino and last year when I volunteered at a hostel I walked there to get myself into the right frame of mind. I only have to be careful going downhill or over rough ground - and I admit to the occasional Ibruprofen-popping (though not on the scale that some pilgrims have disclosed elsewhere on this group!)
A consultant surgeon now recommends it's time for a knee replacement joint.
There must be pilgrims out there who've had this surgery and I wonder
1.What's your experience of this surgery?
2.How long is recovery?
3.What has been the effect on your Camino?
Any other advice, please?
Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I won't say I LIKE what you wrote - but I'm following, because I have a knee replacement (or a meniscus replacement) in my future and want as much information as possible.

So far, a set of special exercises three or four times a week, Arthrotec and sports tape are keeping me on the Caminos, but this won't last forever...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My partner had bilateral total knee replacements at the same time in Oct 16, 3 months after returning from the CF. He never thought he'd walk properly again but we leave for the del Norte in May! Luckily I'd say it has been very successful as he can walk now with no pain at all. I think the ups and downs of the del Norte will be challenging but we are in no rush and have allowed at least 8 weeks. The Frances took 7 weeks. Lucky we are retired...The recovery period for everyone is different but his surgeon said allow at least 1 year. I wish you well and positivity will get you over the line... Buen Camino Peter

Last edited:
My wife had a full knee replacement and her goal after surgery was to walk the Camino. The aftermath of the surgery was painful. JUMP AHEAD 13 MONTHS: We walked the Camino from SJPDP to Finisterra and are planning to walk the Norte in October.

Fred is right. A year after Total Knee Replacement surgery most people's swelling is gone and the new knee functions well. However, as another poster mentioned, the first months are at least somewhat difficult. It starts with a hangover from the anesthesia, constipation, and difficulty sleeping. Probably the week after your surgery you will start physical therapy which has its painful moments as the therapist forces the knee to improve its range of motion. Somewhere between one and three months you will be able to engage in physical activities that were part of your life with your old knee - cycling, hiking, and, in my case, skiing. Doing these things one month out is relatively unusual; three months out is more typical. If you overdo anything during this period, you will not damage the new knee, you only create swelling and soreness in the soft tissues surrounding the knee.

Statistically, I believe that 90 or 95% of patients experience good outcomes. But some people populate the 10 and 5% whose outcomes are disappointing. Ask your surgeon about this. If, prior to surgery, you are not fit and/or you are overweight, these factors may work against you.

Finally, my surgeon used a customized prosthetic. You can read the description in the link below. These prosthetics are somewhat new and the surgeon using them should have some experience using them.

I am not a surgeon or medical professional, but I believe what I have stated is accurate. PM me for more info if you wish.

Good luck.

Tom

https://www.conformis.com/custom-made-knee-implants/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In addition to the very good information in the posts above, I will add my two cents. As you plan for this surgery, consider that there are two varieties of replacement joints.

First, there are standard duty knees, hips, elbows, and shoulder replacement parts. These are designed to last a finite span of time, but are intended to facilitate 'normal' life activities. They are not intended for heavy duty use.

Second, the OTHER type of joint available is called an athletic joint: knee, hip, elbow, etc. In general, this is a heavier duty joint, intended for someone who participates regularly in more rigorous athletic activities. IMHO, this is the replacement part you want, if you can swing it. The surgery and rehabilitation are the same. It is the lifespan of the joint and durability that is in play.

I am in watchful waiting mode. Eventually, I will have to have my knees done as well. I am holding out for the heavier duty, athletic grade replacements.

Hope this helps.

Recovery varies by individual. You'll be fine afterwards but build your strength slowly. MOST IMPORTANT: get physiotherapy immediately post surgery. You should be fine afterwards.
Good Luck

Fred is right. A year after Total Knee Replacement surgery most people's swelling is gone and the new knee functions well. However, as another poster mentioned, the first months are at least somewhat difficult. It starts with a hangover from the anesthesia, constipation, and difficulty sleeping. Probably the week after your surgery you will start physical therapy which has its painful moments as the therapist forces the knee to improve its range of motion. Somewhere between one and three months you will be able to engage in physical activities that were part of your life with your old knee - cycling, hiking, and, in my case, skiing. Doing these things one month out is relatively unusual; three months out is more typical. If you overdo anything during this period, you will not damage the new knee, you only create swelling and soreness in the soft tissues surrounding the knee.

Statistically, I believe that 90 or 95% of patients experience good outcomes. But some people populate the 10 and 5% whose outcomes are disappointing. Ask your surgeon about this. If, prior to surgery, you are not fit and/or you are overweight, these factors may work against you.

Finally, my surgeon used a customized prosthetic. You can read the description in the link below. These prosthetics are somewhat new and the surgeon using them should have some experience using them.

I am not a surgeon or medical professional, but I believe what I have stated is accurate. PM me for more info if you wish.

Good luck.

Tom

https://www.conformis.com/custom-made-knee-implants/
Thank you - very interesting - will look for similar website in U.K.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In addition to the very good information in the posts above, I will add my two cents. As you plan for this surgery, consider that there are two varieties of replacement joints.

First, there are standard duty knees, hips, elbows, and shoulder replacement parts. These are designed to last a finite span of time, but are intended to facilitate 'normal' life activities. They are not intended for heavy duty use.

Second, the OTHER type of joint available is called an athletic joint: knee, hip, elbow, etc. In general, this is a heavier duty joint, intended for someone who participates regularly in more rigorous athletic activities. IMHO, this is the replacement part you want, if you can swing it. The surgery and rehabilitation are the same. It is the lifespan of the joint and durability that is in play.

I am in watchful waiting mode. Eventually, I will have to have my knees done as well. I am holding out for the heavier duty, athletic grade replacements.

Hope this helps.
Thank you - I had no idea there was an ‘athlete’ grade replacement knee and will quiz my surgeon more closely

Thank you everyone for you advice (and on another thread about hips!) and having read, marked and learned, I choose to go for the arthroscopy and chondroplasty, and now 6 weeks later am up to 10k paces a day and ready for my next long walk.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.
Peter

My brother had the same operation a few years ago. At the beginning of the recovery period, he felt persistent pain and was unable to sleep. He could only use the cold therapy machine to relieve the pain. According to the judgment of the doctor, the recovery time is usually one year, but it also varies from person to person. The older the recovery time, the longer it is inevitable.
Cold therapy machine for knees

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.