• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Replowing SIM Card Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Donovan

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm bringing a basic GSM unlocked cell phone (no data, internet, email, etc) when i do the Camino this summer. I'll use it mostly for local calls, with a seldom call to the US, and an occasional text.

Considering price and coverage, from which carrier should I purchase a pay-as-you-go plan.

Thanks.

Bill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got a movistar/digimoblie card that came with 400 minutes and a gig of data for 20 euros. It has worked perfectly for me. It can call to almost everywhere in Europe, except Holland for some reason, the US, and I think Canada.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bill: Just one note to consider; if you phone does not support the GSM frequencies in use across Europe, it will not work. Check your U.S. GSM phone to make certain it is either a Quad-Band or Tri-Band phone. My US t-Mobile handset is a Quad-Band phone. But you cannot take it for granted - must verify.

Here is a portion of another post I made on the subject:

"This last bit is the key issue for basic voice / text handsets. Basically voice/text only phones are sold as dual band, tri-band, or quad band models. Across the world, except for Japan, there are four (4) GSM frequencies used. In North America, GSM phones used the 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz frequency bands. In the REST of THE WORLD (except Japan), GSM phones use the 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz frequency bands. Japan uses a fifth, non-standard frequency."

The full post can be found at: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/getting-a-cell-phone-in-spain.16546/

Thus, a quad-band phone can access service at: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 Mhz. A tri-band phone usually accesses both North American frequencies and ONE of the European frequencies 900 or 1800 Mhz.

Once you sort this issue out, then I recommend Vodaphone coverage for Spain. Orange is very good too. t-Mobile seems to work everywhere.

I hope this helps.

t2andreo has posted a lot of excellent information regarding cell phones and SIM cards, so I'd pay close attention to his advice -- especially the bit about making sure your unlocked GSM phone will receive the European frequencies. I took an unlocked, quad-band, GSM basic phone on my Camino and I can only recall one instance along the entire CF where I did not have a useable signal. I purchased a SIM card from http://www.simsforspain.com/ in Boston, Mass before leaving the U.S. I used the "Orange Mundo" plan, which allowed calls back to the U.S. and Canada for 1 cent per minute (plus a small connection charge). I was very pleased with the plan and the coverage, and used it for voice calls and texting.

I also took along a smartphone, but only used it in wifi mode for emails because it is a CDMA-only phone and therefore not usable on the GSM networks in Europe.

I got a movistar/digimoblie card that came with 400 minutes and a gig of data for 20 euros. It has worked perfectly for me. It can call to almost everywhere in Europe, except Holland for some reason, the US, and I think Canada.

Are you using the right dialing prefix when you try to call? +1(area code) number for calling the US or Canada, +31(number) for the Netherlands.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One tries to be helpful...it appears to be my ministry. :) I am happy to be of service.

I'm sorry, i should have added that the phone is an LG-A275 which is a Quad-Band phone.

I really appreciate everyone's advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I understand that here in the UK with a pay as you go phone it works perfectly fine anywhere in Europe. It works in Italy so I think it should work in Spain too, it may cost a few extra pence !

My Belgian phone is from the local Carrefour there, so is the service... ;) If you want it cheaper, get a length of cord and two metal cans...

Are you using the right dialing prefix when you try to call? +1(area code) number for calling the US or Canada, +31(number) for the Netherlands.

My Dutch friend and I bought the same Sim cards. The fellow said they were good for calling anywhere in Europe and the US. However, he later discover that under the bundle of minutes he bought, Holland was not included. I'm not sure why.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.