• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Reporting in...

sabbott

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Ponferrada) 2016
Camino Invierno 2016
I've been walking the Camino Frances for over a week, and thought I should report in, given all my asking for advice ahead of my Camino. In a nutshell, this is a wonderful experience, more than I hoped for, and different than I could have imagined.

A couple things that might help others preparing to leave soon (forgive any typos as I'm typing in the dark on my phone with one finger):

--I made up my mind at the last minute at St Jean to hike over the pass, and am so glad I did. It was exhilarating. I was very lucky with the weather the 2 days I hiked over (I stayed at Orrison, and would have had a very hard time doing it in a day). The next day there was snow, hail, sleet and vertical wind.

--it's been chilly especially in mornings and evenings here in Navarre. Not much rain but a cool wind. I'm very glad I brought my lined rain pants, and am wearing them for warmth until afternoons heat up. My down jacket or wool base layer which I didn't bring would have been nice in the evenings, but I probably would still leave them home as I'd be carrying them when walking. But it isn't warm here yet, so pack your layers.

--some pilgrims have complained that it's crowded, but I am walking alone most of the time, meaning I see no one ahead or behind me for long stretches. I'm comfortable with this, in fact prefer it--but if you are traveling solo, you will probably find yourself alone when walking unless you deliberately hook up with someone.

--on the other hand, albergues, some anyway in smaller towns, are booking up. I am figuring out how far I want to go each day, and booking ahead if I can for the next night. I'm slow, and arrive at 4:0o or 5:00 pm, so it's harder to be assured of a bed, and I like knowing I'll have one. But I'm also not worrying about it, no need for fear of scarcity here, that's a good Camino lesson.

--my running shoes are keeping my feet happy. No problems with sneakers in combination with mud or rocks. Plenty of both, including on downhill stretches, and I'm not sure I could have managed those safely without poles. Love my Pacer Poles....

--as the Old Camino Hands predicted, as soon as I started walking, I forgot about gear lists, fears, and assorted albergue anxieties. It's all good....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I forgot something-- I'm very glad I studied Spanish before I came. My verbs are in the present tense and I have a vocabulary of about 100 words, but I can order a meal, get directions, and carry on a minimal but meaningful conversation with a local. It seems like very few pilgrims have any Spanish at all, and many Spanish especially in the countryside don't speak English. Pilgrims do ok with no Spanish, but it has greatly added to my experience on the Camino that I can at least attempt to communicate, and it's fun trying. The Spanish are very forgiving of mangling their language....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is great information. I'm so happy you thought to share. Marianne and I are leaving one week from today, and your words are very helpful. This forum is great. Thanks to all who share!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sound like a great start sabott. Just go with the flow and an open heart.

Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for writing, all! I left behind (by accident) my last non-essential "what if" gear item, a backup phone charger, in an albergue 13 miles behind me. Feels great to be traveling so light.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back