• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reports of a flasher near Eunate

CJ Williams

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Turonense (1995)
Camino Francés (1996; 1999; 2001; 2005; 2008; 2011)
Camino Aragonés (2000)
Just a heads up everyone, especially for female pilgrims:

If you are planning to visit Eunate in the next few days, be alert on the road that descends from Muruzábal to Eunate. An American woman who had made the detour this morning reported the presence of a flasher on the road.

I have reported the incident and given a description of the individual to the Guardia Civil.

According to the woman, he was on the gravel road through the farm fields that leads down to Eunate, about 120 meters or so before you reach the point where the road crosses the tarmacked highway as you are walking toward the entrance to Eunate. The individual in question has long, black hair (with some grey on the the top of his head), parted in the middle and pulled back in a ponytail. She did not mention a beard or glasses. Today he was wearing red shorts and a blue shirt.

This is the first report we have of something like this in the area. Obviously, those who choose not make the detour to Eunate should likewise remain alert on the path between Muruzábal and Obanos, particularly at the point where the path passes through the tunnel under the highway, as this fellow could easily change locations.

If you see anyone behaving suspiciously, or if you are flashed, do not confront the individual, but make a note of his clothes and physical characteristics, and stop at the next bar, albergue or shop to report it, whether or not you are planning to continue walking to the next town. This goes for the entire route, not just for the area around Muruzábal/Eunate/Obanos.

God bless and stay sharp.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've just received confirmation that he was subsequently spotted on the path near Obanos as well. Tomorrow I will know whether or not the Guardia Civil were able to identify or find him.

Thanks for letting us know @Navarricano.

The moderators wanted to post this message every time something like this is mentioned on this forum:

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm this is making me feel bad that I didn't report someone jerking off on the river route to Burgos in April.
My Spanish is appalling and my objective of reaching Burgos was seriously at the limit of my ability on that particular day.
Also the fellow jerking off was behind me and I only saw him because I happened to stop on the bridge to look at the river. I do wetland conservation at home so I always stop to look at rivers. Then I happened to look behind.
PS Are these incidents really unlawful? I was told they are not unlawful in Spain.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back