• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requena (from Valencia) - Lana Late August 2019

Joe McDonald

Time of past OR future Camino
CF14
F'stere14,16,18
P'uese16
Vdlp/Sanabres/Ingles17
Sureste/Invierno18
Lana/SanSal/Primitivo19
I have started my 2019 Camino, leaving Valencia on Thursday 22nd August, and have now reached Cuenca today. I find it difficult to give daily updates, like many of you do, and of which I have found really informative and much appreciated. Some of you have already provided excellent accounts of the stages along the Lana, mostly starting in Alicante or following the more traditional route from Valencia south west to join the Lana.
I chose the Requena Camino out of Valencia that joins the Lana at Monteagudo de las Salinas. It’s mostly this section of my Camino to Santiago that I’m interested in providing some feedback to anyone who might be considering it in the future.
I took seven days to reach Monteaguado de las Salinas from Valencia. The weather was very good, as you would expect at this time of year, and the high temperatures were manageable provided you carried enough water and had proper sun protection.
I will give you a short account of each day and then conclude with a few general points of my experience and issues.

Day 1. Valencia- Chiva (42km)
Left Hostal Center at 6am and made my way to the Cathedral to begin my Camino. I felt way marks limited but found my way through the suburbs mainly with gps. I didn’t take the park option but stuck with the conventional route. Reached Loriguilla where I enjoyed my first taste of tortilla on this Camino. This is a suggested stopping stage but I could not find any accommodation here ( the association in Valencia couldn’t suggest any either despite their best efforts ) although my intention was to stay in Cheste, a further 12km. When I reached Cheste there was only one accommodation option ( Hostal de Sol) and it was full. The owner wasn’t very pleasant or considerate I thought but his daughter was extremely helpful in suggesting that I head to Chiva for accommodation. She phoned and checked it out for me before I left.
It was another 6km in high heat at 2pm in the day! When I arrived they were very welcoming and provided me with good accommodation (20 euros).
I found it a tough enough start to my Camino with a lot of road/footpath, poor signage in places and lack of accommodation.

I have reached my limit of typing and will resume later

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day
I have started my 2019 Camino, leaving Valencia on Thursday 22nd August, and have now reached Cuenca today. I find it difficult to give daily updates, like many of you do, and of which I have found really informative and much appreciated. Some of you have already provided excellent accounts of the stages along the Lana, mostly starting in Alicante or following the more traditional route from Valencia south west to join the Lana.
I chose the Requena Camino out of Valencia that joins the Lana at Monteagudo de las Salinas. It’s mostly this section of my Camino to Santiago that I’m interested in providing some feedback to anyone who might be considering it in the future.
I took seven days to reach Monteaguado de las Salinas from Valencia. The weather was very good, as you would expect at this time of year, and the high temperatures were manageable provided you carried enough water and had proper sun protection.
I will give you a short account of each day and then conclude with a few general points of my experience and issues.

Left Hostal Center at 6am and made my way to the Cathedral to begin my Camino. I felt way marks limited but found my way through the suburbs mainly with gps. I didn’t take the park option but stuck with the conventional route. Reached Loriguilla where I enjoyed my first taste of tortilla on this Camino. This is a suggested stopping stage but I could not find any accommodation here ( the association in Valencia couldn’t suggest any either despite their best efforts ) although my intention was to stay in Cheste, a further 12km. When I reached Cheste there was only one accommodation option ( Hostal de Sol) and it was full. The owner wasn’t very pleasant or considerate I thought but his daughter was extremely helpful in suggesting that I head to Chiva for accommodation. She phoned and checked it out for me before I left.
It was another 6km in high heat at 2pm in the day! When I arrived they were very welcoming and provided me with good accommodation (20 euros).
I found it a tough enough start to my Camino with a lot of road/footpath, poor signage in places and lack of accommodation.

Day 2. Chiva to Siete Aquas (28km)
The first section of this stage to Buñol was pleasant, mainly through olive groves. They were preparing for the tomato fiesta! I new the profile for the second section was tough and the 600m climb out difficult both due to the awkwardness of Buñol

I have started my 2019 Camino, leaving Valencia on Thursday 22nd August, and have now reached Cuenca today...
What is it with so many footpaths out of Valencia? Definitely tough on the legs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry but I’ve done something stupid there with my posting (pushing the wrong buttons!). I will try and complete what I’ve started.

Day2 continues
Out of Buñol was difficult because of the awkwardness of its streets and road levels in the valley but also due to the steep climb out. It’s was tough in the heat but I would suggest it would be even more difficult in the rain. On reaching Siete Aquas I checked into Casa Rosa (30 Euros). Good friendly accommodation. There was a good atmosphere in this small town.

Day 3. Siete Aquas to Requena ( 23km)

This is a pleasant stage on this particular Camino. The first half to El Rebollar is off-road and there is a nice wee cafe there. The second half is equally pleasant. I checked into Hotel Avenida (31 Euros). It is very well located in this very interesting historical town. A lot to see here.

Day 4. Requena to Villargordo (37km)

Major difficulties with accommodation on this stage. Despite many calls to check out options in Fuenterrobles where I was hoping to reach and stay in, no joy. A common theme on this Camino. I decided to follow the Camino route to Utiel via SAN Antonio. Some road but a pleasant enough section. I enjoyed coffee in both places. In Utiel I decided to head west to Villargordo (15km) where accommodation was guaranteed instead of the normal Caudete de los Fuentes / Fuenterrobles route. It was unfortunately 15km of road but thankfully it was Sunday and the road quiet. Long straight stretches in the heat are draining! However, Casa Casina where I checked into (20 Euros) was excellent and the owner exceptionally helpful. A quiet pleasant wee place to stay.

Day 5. Villargordo to Mira (24km)

Had provisions with me for this stage as there were no services, unless you wanted to get back on the Camino track sooner at Fuenterrobles or Caudete de los Fuentes which required more walking. I decided to re- join the Camino again at Mira. Quiet road for first 10km and off-road for the last 14km. A good track. Checked into Casa Rural (20 Euros) which was a dusty, run down Hostal that had seen better days. A poor depressing village that I was glad to get out of.

Day 6. Mira to Cardenete (32km)

No services until you reach VĂ­llora (21km). This section is mainly climbs and a lot of road. Climbs for the remaining 11km to Cardenete but not as bad. The albergue there is excellent and free. The small town is so welcoming and was the highlight of the Requena Camino without a doubt. This is what you want on a Camino. They have put a lot of effort into supporting the pilgrims and deserve credit. Good atmosphere here in the evening.

Day 7. Cardenete to Monteagudo de las Salinas (26km)

This stage is mostly on quiet country roads. Services are light. A good walk through. As many of you know Monteaguado is very impressive as you approach it, with it’s Castillo high on the hill above. I was relieved to reach the Lana/ Requena crossroads. I checked into Casa Rural Rincon de Sandra (20 Euros) which is excellent. (Btw note it is 20 Euros and not 25 Euros as stated in some of the guides). It has also 5 rooms and not 2 as also stated in some of the guides.

That completes my brief daily experience on the Camino del Requena. I will give some general comments about this Camino later. Hope this may be of some use to those who may be considering this Camino.

Left Hostal Center at 6am and made my way to the Cathedral to begin my Camino. I felt way marks limited but found my way through the suburbs mainly with gps. I didn’t take the park option but stuck with the conventional route.

As you can see on the joint documents, the first 10 km are urban and asphalt.
I explored recently the option of the Parque Fluvial, showed with a red track in this guide.

I think it's a good option as you change urban streets and asphalt for woody and earthy lanes on 7 km.

The negative point is that there is no place to stop and have a café or a drink, except if at point 37 of the map you take off the way (only 100 m) going straight instead of veering right. On the first corner, left side, is the bar 'El Paso'
But It is also 1,8 km longer.

Other option to reduce asphalt is, from the cathedral, instead of following the yellow marks, go directly by Calle Navelos to the old bed of the river (today a 9 km long park, full of gardens and sports areas), and when you reach it go left (west) through it, to reach the way at point 6 of the map. It is very few hundred meters longer.

On the other hand, although the Amigos en Requena say there is accomodation in Loriguilla, the staff of the Ayuntamiento told me there is not, and suggest to continue to Chiva. As there is a railway station in Loriguilla, it is possible to go back to Manisses, or jump to Chiva or Cheste, and the next day come back to Loriguilla.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Camino de Requena 1-1.pdf
    649 KB · Views: 30
  • Camino de Requena 1-2.pdf
    964.8 KB · Views: 21
  • camino de Requena 1-3.pdf
    931.7 KB · Views: 31
I'm kicking this thread to life again.

Does anyone know if the Requena would be suitable for a winter walk, let's say 20-30 december? I don't really care about the weather: it's the accomodation that bothers me. Does it shut down around Christmas?

/BP

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back