• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Request for packing list review

Kate Mitchell

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Hello Camino forum,

I'm so grateful for this website - what a blessing for new pilgrims!

I'm starting the Camino Frances on May 25th from SJPP and am hoping that some veterans (or newbies!) could review my packing list. I'm 13o pounds, in good-not-great shape and interested in cutting this down -- it's my tendency to overprepare and worry that's led me to the Camino in the first place!

Any thoughts/reactions welcome. I don't have a scale yet so I'm not sure where I am on weight:

Equipment
- 1 36L backpack (Osprey Sirrus)
- 1 piece of dark cotton fabric 44 x 60 to use as towel/blanket for sitting on
- 1 small watch with alarm
- 1 mechanical pencil with extra lead
- 1 tiny (really!) waterproof journal
- 1 disposable camera (compromise with my mother, who insists on photos -- I don't want any electronics)
- 1 Sink stopper (?)
- 1 lightweight sleeping bag OR 1 liner OR both: I get terrible night sweats, so I want to be able to launder bedclothes. I'm worried about being too cold/unable to sleep outside if I have to without a sleeping bag, though)
- 1 pair Sunglasses
- 1 pillowcase
- 1 Travel wallet
- 1 extra shoe lace (double as clothesline in a pinch?)
- 1 eco shopping bag (rolls up to a little ball)
- 1 LED flashlight (size of chapstick)
- 1 super-small Swiss army knife (nail file, scissors, 2 blades)
- 1 Spork
- 1 camino guidebook (it's light!)

Clothing
- 1 pair of convertible pants
- 1 long sleeve shirt (wicking)
- 2 short sleeve shirts (wicking)
- 1 pair of running tights (can be worn solo or under pants)
- 2 pairs underwear
- 2 sports bras
- 2 pairs merino wool hiking socks
- 2 pairs sock liners
- 1 pair compression socks (?! - I wore these during marathon training and adored them after long runs. Are they worth the weight here after long days of walking?)
- 1 Ultralight windbreaker
- 1 Poncho (covers me and pack)
- 1 wide brimmed hat
- 1 buff
- 1 pair waterproof hiking shoes
- 1 pair crocs

Cosmetic/First Aid
- 1 Comb
- 1 3 oz. of shampoo/conditioner in one
- 4 hair ties
- 3 oz toothpaste
- 1 toothbrush
- 3 oz of Aquafor (like vaseline)
- 8 bandaids (second skin/compeed type)
- 2 small sheets of moleskin
- 1 needle and thread
- 2 safety pins
- 6 earplugs
- 10 tablets ibuprofen
- 1 mini roll-on deoderant
- 1 4 oz tube of sunscreen (I've got super fair skin)
- 1 pair glasses
- 3 pairs contacts (2 week kind)
- 3 oz contact solution
- 1 contact lens case
- few feet of dental floss

Thank you!

Buen Camino,
Kate

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pretty thorough list, Kate! Is your towel real cotton? If so you may find it to be a pain to dry and to carry around when wet (cotton gets heavy and burdensome when wet). And is that 44x60 in inches, or cm? If in inches that would be pretty large - if you're looking for coverage you could find a larger sport/ microfiber, quick-drying towel instead.

I don't think you'll use the sink stopper - most sinks in Spain have their own stoppers attached, or the albergue/ hotel will have provided one for pilgrims.

You may also want to consider bringing a light fleece pullover or jacket with you as a layer of warmth for when you're in the mountains or for chilly evenings.

Of course, just my thoughts - take care and enjoy all the planning!
Faith

Looks really good! Here a few tweaks I would suggest:

- 1 piece of dark cotton fabric 44 x 60 to use as towel/blanket for sitting on - Like Nate said, is that inches or cm? Also a polyester/cotton mix will dry quicker, have a look in same Asian/China style dollar shop for a fabric like that.
- 1 Sink stopper (?) - I never take one, if there isn't a stopper, just use a sock ;-)
- 1 lightweight sleeping bag OR 1 liner OR both: I get terrible night sweats, so I want to be able to launder bedclothes. I'm worried about being too cold/unable to sleep outside if I have to without a sleeping bag, though) - if you sweat a lot, take both. Roughly how heavy are the both together?
- 1 pillowcase - leave at home and wrap your fabric around any suspicious pillow ;-)
- 1 extra shoe lace (double as clothesline in a pinch?) - just put new laces in shoes before setting out and leave at home, bring ~6 biggish safety pins instead to attach wet clothes to backpack and/or to use as clothes pegs/pins.
- 1 pair compression socks (?! - I wore these during marathon training and adored them after long runs. Are they worth the weight here after long days of walking?) - If you have good experience wearing them after exercise, take them!
- 8 bandaids (second skin/compeed type) - make sure you know how to use them the right way
- 1 needle and thread - PLEASE tell me that this is not for blister treatment!!! :eek::confused::(
- 2 safety pins - see above
- 1 mini roll-on deoderant - if you must, I never bother

Like I said, well thought out list! Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the list looks good, and agree with the questions about the cotton fabric. It could be quite heavy, and you don't need anything that large to sit on. A big plastic garbage bag might be better for that. As a towel it is also big - I take a face cloth (10"X10") and a tea towel.

I would take an additional pair of wool socks

I see no walking poles on the list, I used them as drying poles. SY is on point about using your pack to dry items. As it can be very humid when it rains & nothing drys very quick like socks. She uses safety pins I used carabiners depends on if your pack has tie or strap points.
Buen Camino

Pretty thorough list, Kate! Is your towel real cotton? If so you may find it to be a pain to dry and to carry around when wet (cotton gets heavy and burdensome when wet). And is that 44x60 in inches, or cm? If in inches that would be pretty large - if you're looking for coverage you could find a larger sport/ microfiber, quick-drying towel instead.

I don't think you'll use the sink stopper - most sinks in Spain have their own stoppers attached, or the albergue/ hotel will have provided one for pilgrims.

You may also want to consider bringing a light fleece pullover or jacket with you as a layer of warmth for when you're in the mountains or for chilly evenings.

Of course, just my thoughts - take care and enjoy all the planning!
Faith

Thank you Faith! This is all very helpful. I'll put in a fleece and after this thread have decided to use a thin yoga towel (not cotton), cut down to 24 x 44ish inches. Just enough to wrap around myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks really good! Here a few tweaks I would suggest:

- 1 piece of dark cotton fabric 44 x 60 to use as towel/blanket for sitting on - Like Nate said, is that inches or cm? Also a polyester/cotton mix will dry quicker, have a look in same Asian/China style dollar shop for a fabric like that.
- 1 Sink stopper (?) - I never take one, if there isn't a stopper, just use a sock ;-)
- 1 lightweight sleeping bag OR 1 liner OR both: I get terrible night sweats, so I want to be able to launder bedclothes. I'm worried about being too cold/unable to sleep outside if I have to without a sleeping bag, though) - if you sweat a lot, take both. Roughly how heavy are the both together?
- 1 pillowcase - leave at home and wrap your fabric around any suspicious pillow ;-)
- 1 extra shoe lace (double as clothesline in a pinch?) - just put new laces in shoes before setting out and leave at home, bring ~6 biggish safety pins instead to attach wet clothes to backpack and/or to use as clothes pegs/pins.
- 1 pair compression socks (?! - I wore these during marathon training and adored them after long runs. Are they worth the weight here after long days of walking?) - If you have good experience wearing them after exercise, take them!
- 8 bandaids (second skin/compeed type) - make sure you know how to use them the right way
- 1 needle and thread - PLEASE tell me that this is not for blister treatment!!! :eek::confused::(
- 2 safety pins - see above
- 1 mini roll-on deoderant - if you must, I never bother

Like I said, well thought out list! Buen Camino, SY

Thank you SY! I took much advice from your book on what to bring - such a helpful resource. After the replies on this thread, I've decided to take a lightweight yoga towel cut to 24 x 44 ish inches and BOTH the sleeping bag and the liner. Together they are just under 3 lbs. Great call on the large safety pins for drying things on my pack -- I'll do that. And no, the needle and thread are for clothing or gear malfunctions. :)

... a lightweight yoga towel cut to 24 x 44 ish inches and BOTH the sleeping bag and the liner. Together they are just under 3 lbs. Great call on the large safety pins for drying things on my pack -- I'll do that. And no, the needle and thread are for clothing or gear malfunctions. :)

Sounds very good, seems you are good to go. Have a wonderful and blesséd Camino, SY

Oh, ultralight adjustment - dental floss doubles as a sewing thread. Really only saves a gram or less but I thought I mention it :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Camino forum,

I'm so grateful for this website - what a blessing for new pilgrims!

I'm starting the Camino Frances on May 25th from SJPP and am hoping that some veterans (or newbies!) could review my packing list. I'm 13o pounds, in good-not-great shape and interested in cutting this down -- it's my tendency to overprepare and worry that's led me to the Camino in the first place!

Any thoughts/reactions welcome. I don't have a scale yet so I'm not sure where I am on weight:

Equipment
- 1 36L backpack (Osprey Sirrus)
- 1 piece of dark cotton fabric 44 x 60 to use as towel/blanket for sitting on
- 1 small watch with alarm
- 1 mechanical pencil with extra lead
- 1 tiny (really!) waterproof journal
- 1 disposable camera (compromise with my mother, who insists on photos -- I don't want any electronics)
- 1 Sink stopper (?)
- 1 lightweight sleeping bag OR 1 liner OR both: I get terrible night sweats, so I want to be able to launder bedclothes. I'm worried about being too cold/unable to sleep outside if I have to without a sleeping bag, though)
- 1 pair Sunglasses
- 1 pillowcase
- 1 Travel wallet
- 1 extra shoe lace (double as clothesline in a pinch?)
- 1 eco shopping bag (rolls up to a little ball)
- 1 LED flashlight (size of chapstick)
- 1 super-small Swiss army knife (nail file, scissors, 2 blades)
- 1 Spork
- 1 camino guidebook (it's light!)

Clothing
- 1 pair of convertible pants
- 1 long sleeve shirt (wicking)
- 2 short sleeve shirts (wicking)
- 1 pair of running tights (can be worn solo or under pants)
- 2 pairs underwear
- 2 sports bras
- 2 pairs merino wool hiking socks
- 2 pairs sock liners
- 1 pair compression socks (?! - I wore these during marathon training and adored them after long runs. Are they worth the weight here after long days of walking?)
- 1 Ultralight windbreaker
- 1 Poncho (covers me and pack)
- 1 wide brimmed hat
- 1 buff
- 1 pair waterproof hiking shoes
- 1 pair crocs

Cosmetic/First Aid
- 1 Comb
- 1 3 oz. of shampoo/conditioner in one
- 4 hair ties
- 3 oz toothpaste
- 1 toothbrush
- 3 oz of Aquafor (like vaseline)
- 8 bandaids (second skin/compeed type)
- 2 small sheets of moleskin
- 1 needle and thread
- 2 safety pins
- 6 earplugs
- 10 tablets ibuprofen
- 1 mini roll-on deoderant
- 1 4 oz tube of sunscreen (I've got super fair skin)
- 1 pair glasses
- 3 pairs contacts (2 week kind)
- 3 oz contact solution
- 1 contact lens case
- few feet of dental floss

Thank you!

Buen Camino,
Kate
Hi Kate: Curious: How much does it weigh?

Hi Joe! I'm not finished yet.
How do you do it? I can't get mine to between 16-18 and I'm taking nothing (counting 2.2 lbs for 1L of water). And I may throw in my ultralight tent, so that would bring me to right at 20lbs. But it's a far cry less than the 60lbs, I've lugged on backpacking trips! Looks like I'll be a day behind you--getting to SJPDP on the 26th!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two small edits, (1) a small pocket knife for sure but one which also has an all important corkscrew!!! (2) I average well over 500(!) photographs -people places scenery and memories on each of my Caminos. one disposable camera? No way! Time to reboot and think again

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Be sure to tell us in the mean time, or when you come back what worked and what didn't!
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.