• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requirement for Compostela Certificate if not ending in Santiago

sdesantis

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi. I will be walking the Camino in May of this year and my friends and I want to walk from Arzua to Finesterre -- 82 miles. We will not be going to Muxia. If we end this way, are we still able to get our Compostela Certificate in Santiago?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. I will be walking the Camino in May of this year and my friends and I want to walk from Arzua to Finesterre -- 82 miles. We will not be going to Muxia. If we end this way, are we still able to get our Compostela Certificate in Santiago?
Short answer, no. The Compostela is awardable to those who walk 100km to Santiago by a recognized route.

Short answer, no. The Compostela is awardable to those who walk 100km to Santiago by a recognized route.
Slightly longer version: at least the final 100km to Santiago by a recognized route. Adding km by walking beyond Santiago doesn't count towards the minimum distance rule. Arzua is well within the 100km radius.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If getting a Compostela is an important component of your Camino, why not simply change your route? There are a number of excellent choices for you that would qualify for the certificate. Then, if time permits, head to Finisterre even if only by bus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although the water would be on the front end of your Camino, I’d suggest that you consider the Inglés. Visit A Coruña and then move on to Ferrol where your Camino would begin. After a couple days on the coast, walk the Inglés to Santiago. Although we walked the Inglés in six days, it could easily be done in five staying within your timeframe and qualifying you for your Compostela upon reaching Santiago.

Or decide whether the Compestela is that important to you. You certainly can do your original walk as planned without the need for validation from the Catholic Church (and I say this as a practicing Catholic). If your desired path is NOT a pilgrimage to Santiago, there really is no need to up-end it by trying to adjust to an artificial construct of a starting point 100km from what will not be your destination.

If you are not going to Santiago, you might consider the consequences of whether or not to get a Credencial de Peregrino. There are many hostels which do not require one in order to stay there, but the donativo hostels only accept pilgrims to Santiago to spend a night in them, and a pilgrim must present a Credencial to be stamped in order to stay there. I am not suggesting that you get one, but rather that you plan your accommodation along your route so as to find alternate accommodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don’t think so, but there is a special competela for Finnisterra

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are not going to Santiago, you might consider the consequences of whether or not to get a Credencial de Peregrino. There are many hostels which do not require one in order to stay there, but the donativo hostels only accept pilgrims to Santiago to spend a night in them, and a pilgrim must present a Credencial to be stamped in order to stay there. I am not suggesting that you get one, but rather that you plan your accommodation along your route so as to find alternate accommodation.
Although, to be fair, OP was talking about walking along a Camino path through Santiago and on to Finisterre/Muxia. Many pilgrims do that and I think continuing on westward after Santiago doesn't make the use of a credencial illegitimate.

Whether one should use a credencial if walking, for example, from Le Puy to SJPP with no intention of carrying on to Santiago (perhaps because one has previously walked that stretch) is a question raised by your post, but perhaps better left for another thread.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.