• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Requirements for Crossing into Spain on Foot

ZachAlex

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese September 2022
Hi there,
I am walking the Camino Portuguese early September and was wondering what the requirements are for crossing into Spain (Tui) from Portugal (Valenca). Thank you in advance for your input.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And have your camera/phone ready for views from the bridge.
I suggest you walk on the RHS (as you stand facing Spain) for a different perspective of Tui as you cross.

I know you're actually seeking more practical information but I add this so you don't forget to be 'in the moment' as you cross the border rather than just focus on logistics!

Bom Caminho.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no passport control but theoretically everyone should be able to demonstrate that they are in Spain legally.

If a citizen of an EU country that means valid identification. I'm not aware of anything else but I'm sure someone will enlighten me if I'm wrong.

If not a citizen of an EU country that that means a valid EU or country specific visa and the means to comply with the visa requirements.

In my case a tourist visa is automatic on entering the EU, but I need a passport (with expiry date more than 6 months after my expected exit), transport out of the country within 90 days, and the financial means to support myself during the time I will be in Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walk across the bridge. There isn't passport control or anything. Spain and Portugal are part of the same zone, designed to allow free passage back/forth.

We recently did the walk ourselves, it's on our blog. Do not walk past the Tui cathedral, it's incredible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It was designed by Pelayo Mancebo, a disciple of Gustave Eiffel. However, the Dom Luis I bridge in Porto over the Douro River is the work of Eiffel.
Thank you for letting me know. I thought it an interesting fact and loved to think of the connection. However I still love that little bridge, andf there still is a connection.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are hundreds of structures created by Eiffel the company, some of which are by Eiffel himself.

The covered market where I live is by the Eiffel company.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back