• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Requirements for testing for travel to US?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
Sorry but haven't seen this specific question. I fly out of Santiago to Madrid tomorrow ( Monday) late afternoon. My final flight to the states is on Thursday morning from madrid. Can I get the covid test while I'm in the Santiago airport? I thought I'd read that you can't get airport tests unless you're booked through to the states. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

This: "U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who are eligible to travel but are not fully vaccinated will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test one (1) day before their flight. U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight." suggests you'll need to get your test in Madrid, not Santiago.

This: "U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who are eligible to travel but are not fully vaccinated will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test one (1) day before their flight. U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight." suggests you'll need to get your test in Madrid, not Santiago.
I think I meet the 3 day rule (unless my math is off). I'm vaccinated leave Madrid 11:30 am Thursday. A test Monday afternoon should work if I can get it? Would be a lot more convenient as I have downtime at Santiago airport that afternoon. Thanks for reply

I think your test in Santiago might be too soon for your Thursday flight. You can test at the Madrid Airport online.

In October I flew from Burgos to Madrid via Barcelona. At the Barcelona airport testing site I was told I only needed the cheaper 29 euro antigen test to return to the US two days later. So I got it. But with the next day to spare in Madrid I went ahead and paid for the PCR test at 97 euros at the downtown testing lab LIFE Length advertised in the airport. When I completed the Covid form when checking in at American Airlines there were boxes to check. I checked PCR and showed the agent my test results in the email on my phone. I did not see a box to check for an antigen test. In this morning's newspaper a travel article said vaccinated US citizens only needed the antigen test to return to the US. It's confusing. (This article also said it's confusing.) Anyway, the 97 euro PCR test brought me peace of mind, not for it's negative results but to ensure I could board my return flight. Buen Camino

ps. On my return I had a 4 hour layover in Dallas and checked the airport testing site. The quick response PCR test was $290.

I think I meet the 3 day rule (unless my math is off). I'm vaccinated leave Madrid 11:30 am Thursday. A test Monday afternoon should work if I can get it? Would be a lot more convenient as I have downtime at Santiago airport that afternoon.
It’s too late for @aliciag56, but for others who are wondering about the three day window:

The CDC is very clear that the requirement is a test within three days and not 72 hours, which opens up more leeway for US-bound travelers.

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day time frame instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

And it is equally clear that a rapid antigen test is acceptable.

As is always the case with info given on this topic, all we can say with certainty that these are the requirements in force today! You should always make sure you have seen the most up to date information, and the US embassy websites are probably the best place to go.

I cleared all covid requirements today and am on my way home. The final gatekeepers at the airport took a second look at the date and time of my covid test, talked amongst themselves, and passed me through. I must say though that the uploading of documents, waiting for clearance, etc are all a little unnerving. One final Camino hurdle- hah!

It’s too late for @aliciag56, but for others who are wondering about the three day window:

The CDC is very clear that the requirement is a test within three days and not 72 hours, which opens up more leeway for US-bound travelers.

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day time frame instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

And it is equally clear that a rapid antigen test is acceptable.

As is always the case with info given on this topic, all we can say with certainty that these are the requirements in force today! You should always make sure you have seen the most up to date information, and the US embassy websites are probably the best place to go.
This is correct. It’s really not that confusing. I returned from Greece last month and the three day rule was easy to follow as the time of your flight the day you travel is irrelevant.

Sorry but haven't seen this specific question. I fly out of Santiago to Madrid tomorrow ( Monday) late afternoon. My final flight to the states is on Thursday morning from madrid. Can I get the covid test while I'm in the Santiago airport? I thought I'd read that you can't get airport tests unless you're booked through to the states. Thanks!
Just arrive at Madrid Airport early €29 for antigen test book time online. Although they do take walk ups but you have to wait. Got results in 15 mins. Too easy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’ll finish the Camino de la Lana in Burgess in 9 days (!!) and then bus to Madrid and fly home to Alaska. Where do you book online for 29 euro antigen test at Madrid airport? Which terminal?
And of course next week I’ll check with embassy etc and make sure rules have not changed. Oh , and I change planes in Dublin, so guess I need to check Ireland rules too…

Oh , and I change planes in Dublin, so guess I need to check Ireland rules too…
Definitely! Folks think that rules don’t apply for transiting, but they absolutely do!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back