• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rescue on the Napoleon route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
This was posted today (13 December) on Instagram. It says:

Saturday(2days ago) a swiss 29 year old man defied the rules of NOT going over the pyrenees via the Napoleon route, between november 1st and march 31st. And he ended up having to be evacuated out. He was inside the refugio Izandorre. And without that small house I think it would be fair to say that he would have died in the cold. The rescue people couldn’t drive up to him. So in snowshoes they had to go up and get him. He is in good health - But please don’t attempt this. There is a GOOD reason why the Napoleon route is CLOSED during the winter

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank God for those rescuers I hope they kicked his butt all the way home, why do people put others at risk for their arrogance, sorry but what would he say if one of those sent out did not come home to their family. ALL pilgrims please think before you act, it is not all about you thats my Christmas wish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was wondering if anyone had read about this rescue in any local news outlets.
I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was wondering if anyone had read about this rescue in any local news outlets.
I did a quick search but didn't find anything.
Usually, entering Navarra peregrino (or peregrina or peregrinos or bomberos) into Google News and restricting the search period to a week will result in recent articles in the Diario de Navarra and Noticias de Navarra newspapers and sometimes in a few others.

Often, they don't have more information than the newsflash from the Navarra First Responders team who regularly tweet on Twitter. I find it by entering Navarra Bomberos into the Twitter search field and then searching around some more. I am too lazy to save a link or record their official Twitter account somewhere. Their Twitter handle is @bomberos_na. They usually post a photo from their rescue operation (not an archive photo as the newspapers often do).

Isn’t there a significant monetary fine for ignoring this rule ?
Exactly my comment. I hope the local authorities impose a 3000 or 5000 Euro fine and then tell him he is banned from Spain for 5 years. Yes it might be a tough rule - but the people who rescued him risked their lives.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Clearly we don’t know many facts other than the pertinent one: this route is well known to be deemed ‘closed’ through the winter and the individual concerned has chosen to not comply with that and has required rescue. Clearly that’s to be condemned.

It makes a good deal of sense to put that closure in place specifically because the Camino attracts large numbers of walkers who are not accustomed to 30+ days continuous walking and categorically not suited to a fairly long day in winter conditions. Any description of the Napoleon route as mountainous is hyperbole IMHO; but still it’s not to be undertaken lightly in winter.

But.

The Pyrenees are not generally closed to anyone in particular - nor are the Alps or the mountains of Scotland; both regions in which I climbed extensively in the past.

Is the Napoleon closed legally? As a fine is referred to, I assume that’s the case. Is it specific to the track or the area in general? What if one is simply making your own way through the hills a kilometre off route?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is the Napoleon closed legally? As a fine is referred to, I assume that’s the case. Is it specific to the track or the area in general?
There is a provincial bylaw which is specific to the route. So technically it only applies to the section of the route from the border onwards. Though I have read that police on the French side of the route actively deter people from walking during the closed period.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Pyrenees are not generally closed to anyone in general - nor are the Alps or the mountains of Scotland; both regions in which I climbed extensively in the past.

Is the Napoleon closed legally? As a fine is referred to, I assume that’s the case. Is it specific to the track or the area in general?
Yes, prohibited by Spanish law. They issue a new decree every autumn. It concerns about 5 km between punto de coordenadas geográficas 43o3’2,02’’N y 1o16’6,04’’W, en las inmediaciones del Collado de Bentartea.

When they issued this decree for the first time in 2015 or so they intended to introduce a system of specific authorisations, for example for local people, but it turned out to be not feasible and was subsequently abandoned.

The reason for it all: Too many people don't believe that they are unfit and underequipped but they are. So now the track is prohibited for all during 3 months of the year. But there are some who think that they and their walk are so special that Spanish law does not apply to them.

Saturday(2days ago) a swiss 29 year old man defied the rules of NOT going over the pyrenees via the Napoleon route, between november 1st and march 31st. And he ended up having to be evacuated out. He was inside the refugio Izandorre. And without that small house I think it would be fair to say that he would have died in the cold. The rescue people couldn’t drive up to him. So in snowshoes they had to go up and get him. He is in good health - But please don’t attempt this. There is a GOOD reason why the Napoleon route is CLOSED during the winter

The Instagram post doesn't mention that he is a pilgrim. Perhaps he was an alpinist (rather unwisely) attempting the GR10, GR11 or HRP route, along rather than across the Pyrenees?
In any case, I hope he has deep pockets for that fine, or a large donation to the bomberos Christmas party fund.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For an experienced alpinist with appropriate gear and the knowledge how to navigate in a whiteout, the Route Napoléon probably isn't a big deal even in winter. Sounds more like someone unexperienced underestimating the mountain (it's not at a very high altitude, which might be one reason why this kind of thing happens again and again).

I imagine that many pilgrims underestimate the risks, thinking "it can‘t be so bad", because the mountain is not very high. Combine that with insufficient gear, and it‘s a recipe for disaster. Other easily accessible mountains with many visitors and at relatively low altitudes have similar problems, apparently (Ben Nevis in Scotland for example, from what I‘ve heard).

Maybe this is a good reminder that you need to have respect for the mountains, especially if you don‘t have much experience. Even in summer, always bring warm clothes, rain gear, high calory emergency food, whistle, flashlight, first aid kit and some sort of emergency shelter or at least a space blanket. If not for yourself, then maybe for someone else in trouble. If you‘re stuck in the Izandorre hut with a sleeping mat, a nice warm sleeping bag, a camping stove and emergency food, you‘d probably be fine for quite some time while waiting for the weather to get better. If you end up there with just a silk liner, though…

I read about people crossing the pyrenees with just a day pack. Like, a light rain jacket, a candy bar and a half litre bottle of water. I‘d never. No way I go up a mountain without some emergency backup inside my backpack. All you need is one very nasty thunderstorm, even in high summer, and things can go southwards. I remember one mountain hike in the alps at similar elevation as the napoleon route, where I started at sunny 20+ degrees Celsius in the morning and temperature then fell to maybe 2-3 degrees and snowy rain around noon. There‘s a time and place for minimalist equipment, but not up on a mountain, especially not as an unexperienced walker.

Anyway, let‘s be grateful nobody was harmed.

Last edited:
The Instagram post doesn't mention that he is a pilgrim. Perhaps he was an alpinist (rather unwisely) attempting the GR10, GR11 or HRP route, along rather than across the Pyrenees?
In any case, I hope he has deep pockets for that fine, or a large donation to the bomberos Christmas party fund.

The newspaper report uses the word “peregrino” for what that is worth.

The Instagram post is just someone's translation of the news article in one of the two local newspapers plus a few of the person's own thoughts.

The info directly from the local rescue team is pretty clear: It was a pilgrim/camino walker who could not continue because of physical exhaustion and who made use of the emergency shelter and the emergency communication line that had been installed on the Napoleon route at altitude in recent years and are maintained exclusively for pilgrims of his sort. The ones who get into trouble in this section, and in particular in winter. Every winter without fail and despite the interdiction to even walk there. Without them and their behaviour the shelter and the SOS phone and the WiFi net would not even be there. "Exhausted and with physical problems", say the rescuers. They needed their snowmobile and/or snowshoes to get to him because of the snow.

The emergency shelter Izandorre on the Napoleon route is not near the GR10 and GR11.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@good_old_shoes
Yes, I agree completely. Mountains need to be respected, especially by people without a lot of experience, who unfortunately are the least likely to do so.

I lived in Alaska for 20 years, where we have a few good sized mountains. 😉 The Pyrenees are just hills compared to the Alaska Range, but while they may not be very high, but they seem to catch a whole lot of nasty, wet weather coming off the Atlantic, and as is characteristic of any mountains, the weather can change very suddenly. That climb over the Napoleon route is just long enough and the mountains are just high enough for ill-prepared people to land in trouble, as we see over and over. I only hiked it once, in September of 2019, but it was a long, cold, wet slog. A woman had hypothermia in the hut and other pilgrims were helping her and the bomberos were on their way. She was from Brazil and I suspect had no idea what she was getting into with that climb. The weather the previous day was hot and perfectly sunny. Everyone should carry the basic survival equipment you list.

I also agree that for well-equipped, experienced and fit people, the climb is not a big deal. I don’t think the rescuers in this case were in any life-threatening danger, there is no mention of bad weather in the article, just deep snow, and it says the guy they rescued was in good health, just disoriented and stomach pains and without sufficient equipment. But they still shouldn’t have had to go save this idiot.

Last edited:
The Navarra Bomberos/Rescuers posted about the Napoleon route again, with a short videoclip. The snowfall has stopped, the sun shines and abrimos paso preparando terreno para posibles rescates. Se hace tala y abrimos huella hasta casi llegar a Lepoeder. @bomberos_na

We are clearing the way by preparing the ground for potential rescue tasks. Logging/tree cutting/clearing branches has been done and we have cleared the track [from Ibañeta] until close to the Lepoeder pass.

They have no illusions about human behaviour. Sad.

Glad I have not been fined for every mistake I’ve ever made! So glad this pilgrim is safe and thankful for those who go into Front Line work. The times Ive been around crazy patients or people who did really stupid things I’ve been thankful they are OK and usually have a story to tell that my friends beg me to share. Ive never heard a “ hope they pay”, “ how dare them” etc… is not something I’ve ever heard an EMS employee say, nor the ED staff saving them. In 36 years of working very close to them , most of it at a Trauma center. EMS workers , and many other occupations, put them selves at risk all the time, they are HEROS , but never met one who was a jerk. Statistically I bet when I had a flat tire a few weeks ago I put the police officer who helped me more at risk on the highway than these trained EMS workers in this area of the Pyrenees. That doesn’t discredit them it honors their knowledge and skill and even the adrenaline junkie in most of us.
Very thankful my fellow pilgrim is safe, and very thankful to those who seek such jobs to save people.
We all do things we shouldn’t do, we all underestimate something in our lives, most of us live to tell.
When my son totalled my car I was furious, he started crying and said “ I just don’t know how it happened”. Those words sent me to instant mush…. and I hugged him so closely telling him it won’t be his last time saying those words.
Having a light out on our car, a tire that’s bad on our car, many things we all do that put ourselves, others, and frontline workers at risk everyday.

@good_old_shoes
Yes, I agree completely. Mountains need to be respected, especially by people without a lot of experience, who unfortunately are the least likely to do so.

I lived in Alaska for 20 years, where we have a few good sized mountains. 😉 The Pyrenees are just hills compared to the Alaska Range, but while they may not be very high, but they seem to catch a whole lot of nasty, wet weather coming off the Atlantic, and as is characteristic of any mountains, the weather can change very suddenly. That climb over the Napoleon route is just long enough and the mountains are just high enough for ill-prepared people to land in trouble, as we see over and over. I only hiked it once, in September of 2019, but it was a long, cold, wet slog. A woman had hypothermia in the hut and other pilgrims were helping her and the bomberos were on their way. She was from Brazil and I suspect had no idea what she was getting into with that climb. The weather the previous day was hot and perfectly sunny. Everyone should carry the basic survival equipment you list.

I also agree that for well-equipped, experienced and fit people, the climb is not a big deal. I don’t think the rescuers in this case were in any life-threatening danger, there is no mention of bad weather in the article, just deep snow, and it says the guy they rescued was in good health, just disoriented and stomach pains and without sufficient equipment. But they still shouldn’t have had to go save this idiot.
totally agree! I doubt these rescuers were in danger, the drama in this thread is just so over the top and so surprisingly mean.
*** I edited my post to say “ I doubt”, so if quoted without those words it is fair game, and very reasonable. However I should have placed a doubt to my message, which I totally stand by!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, he was stupid and selfish. Punish him! Give him a big fine; put him in jail! It sets our own righteousness in perspective.

I’m just happy that he survived, that the rescue people did a great job and that they all came back safely.

Merry Christmas, perigrinas/-grinos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I remember a few years ago, when the Napoleon Route was officially closed (from the french athorities) for the first time from November to the end of March, there were also informations about how much a rescue operation would cost, and that was a few thousand euros. I hope the "pilgrim" has to pay a high penalty.

these rescuers weren’t in danger
It is not our idea that these rescuers can be in danger. The Spanish decree that prohibits the crossing on the Route Napoleon during the period November 2021 to March 2022 says:

The experience of the last few years has shown that it is advisable to maintain the restriction on the first stage of [the Camino via the Route Napoleon] at the entry to the Spanish territory of Navarra in the same way as in previous years, in order to ensure greater safety for individuals and rescue personnel, both professionals and volunteers.

Last edited:
Gosh, this is one of those threads where I find myself agreeing with both opposing views of the situation; ..."make him pay for his stupidity"; ..."be thankful and have mercy on him as all turned out well as neither he nor his rescuerers incurred harm". 🤷

Gosh, this is one of those threads where I find myself agreeing with both opposing views of the situation; ..."make him pay for his stupidity"; ..."be thankful and have mercy on him as all turned out well as neither he nor his rescuerers incurred harm". 🤷
We must also remember that the emergency services are there to deal with these situations, if people didn't make mistakes they would not be working.

I remember a few years ago, when the Napoleon Route was officially closed (from the french athorities) for the first time from November to the end of March, there were also informations about how much a rescue operation would cost, and that was a few thousand euros. I hope the "pilgrim" has to pay a high penalty.
There are cost associated to all kinds of things, step into the Emergency room for a hang mail, a wedding ring too tight, exposure to what you think was an STD, your daughter shoving a bead up her nose… or true CPR being done on your body to cover peoples butts when you’ve long been gone… the cost is outrageous!

It is not our idea that these rescuers can be in danger. The Spanish decree that prohibits the crossing on the Route Napoleon during the period November 2021 to March 2022 says:

The experience of the last few years has shown that it is advisable to maintain the restriction on the first stage of [the Camino via the Route Napoleon] at the entry to the Spanish territory of Navarra in the same way as in previous years, in order to ensure greater safety for individuals and rescue personnel, both professionals and volunteers.
my point is I’ve done many things in my life not advised and not allowed… I’ve lived to tell thankfully. Most of us make mistakes, or think we can do something that it ends up we can’t. That’s my point.
Edited to say that’s one of several of my points. I’m not one who thinks “ people deserve it” necessarily when they fault. At times maybe but most of us have done things that thank God our noses weren’t shoved in or fined amounts that could make us lose a lot…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We must also remember that the emergency services are there to deal with these situations, if people didn't make mistakes they would not be working.
I totally disagree with the tone of this post. The person made a deliberate choice. I have been in a mountain rescue unit in the Cairngorms. I have chipped the dead out of the ice. They were not amateurs or cowboys but experienced men who got caught out. Sneering at the Pyrenees because they were not considered real mountains wound up giving the person almost what he deserved. I did not consider my self to be " working". Many mountain rescue teams are unpaid volunteers often considered to be a taxi service for the inadequate who " expect" to be rescued . Shame on you!

samarkand.

I totally disagree with the tone of this post. The person made a deliberate choice. I have been in a mountain rescue unit in the Cairngorms. I have chipped the dead out of the ice. They were not amateurs or cowboys but experienced men who got caught out. Sneering at the Pyrenees because they were not considered real mountains wound up giving the person almost what he deserved. I did not consider my self to be " working". Many mountain rescue teams are unpaid volunteers often considered to be a taxi service for the inadequate who " expect" to be rescued . Shame on you!

samarkand.
Sorry to upset you but the rescue services there are attached to the fire brigade, paid workers. Instead of baying to have the man crucified or stoned maybe consider all the times all of us have done something stupid and not be so high handed.
BTW I am a volunteer First Responder and if we took this attitude we would never go out on a shout.

Exactly my comment. I hope the local authorities impose a 3000 or 5000 Euro fine and then tell him he is banned from Spain for 5 years. Yes it might be a tough rule - but the people who rescued him risked their lives.
I read it was a $12,000 fine?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never fails to surprise me how some of the threads on the forum ‘unravel’.

For me, the value of the initial report of the incident is to remind readers of the potential dangers of the Napoleon route, and to abide by the rules / guidance for the safety of themselves and others.

So thank you @trecile for posting.

The possible sub-text: A young Swiss male, blithely arrogant about this not being a "real mountain," gets a swift kick in the butt by Mother Nature.
This is pure speculation on my part but I do agree with you: he probably thought ’not a real mountain’. It is of course much lower than the Alps and…in bad weather always under the cloud line. Ie not only there is snow but there is no visibility either. Twice on that route, in mid-July, I couldn’t see anything, I could hear the cows very close to me but that was it. I can only imagine what it’s like in Winter… I couldn’t have found my way in snow, with no traces to follow and complete fog! In the Alps, unless it’s a snow storm (or you’re in Avoriaz 😉), you may die of cold but at least you can still see where you are!
They didn’t close it for fun, they closed it because lots of unprepared people were insisting on ignoring the conditions and the local advice.
Very sad but I’m very glad they did. And bravo to those dedicated rescuers 👏

The newspaper report uses the word “peregrino” for what that is worth.
The original source, the tweet from the bomberos says:
https://twitter.com/bomberos_na

@bomberos_na

Dec 13
Rescatamos peregrino refugiado en Izandorre. Agotado y con problemas físicos. Se recuerda el cierre invernal del tramo por el collado de Lepoeder entre el 1 de noviembre y el 31 de marzo. PRECAUCIÓN

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gently Pilgrim. The comment came from another public servant and just gives another angle on a many faceted gem. I did 40 years in public service and not one of the b’ggers ever said thank you.
Many of us on this forum have worked in the front line, some still do. And an idiot is an idiot whether they get carried off the hill or make it by some miracle themselves

samarkand.
if volunteers don’t want to do it they shouldn’t volunteer, sorry if that sounds snippy not my purpose. But that’s obvious to me. No one deserves the fear of death, extreme cold etc… no one

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry to upset you but the rescue services there are attached to the fire brigade, paid workers. Instead of baying to have the man crucified or stoned maybe consider all the times all of us have done something stupid and not be so high handed.
BTW I am a volunteer First Responder and if we took this attitude we would never go out on a shout.
There are monuments all over Iberia to rescue workers who lost their lives in the service of their country and community. As to being high handed. I had friends in the Lifeboat Service who were volunteers. Some of them never came back. I have never considered baying at the level you mention.

I leave that to you.

Samarkand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back