• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

'Rescued by the Bomberos from Burguette.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I took the bus from Bayonne to SJPdP on 2-1-'18 and arrived about 8.50. By the time I'd got my Credencial, visited the Church, and bought some food it was after 10 o'clock.
It was a day of rain the like I'd never seen.
I arrived in Valcarlos about 3 and foolishly decided to push on to Roncesvalles.
I'd passed the point where the trail joins the road for about 100mts and was walking, sometimes ankle deep , along a very muddy and slippy path. I eventually came to what could be described as a torrent rushing down the hill from the right. It crossed the path like a river and tumbled down into the gorge to the left.
I thought slipping there could have had really serious consequences so decided to turn back.
The light had gone by the time I got back to the road. So it was pitch dark and still pouring down.
Even at the best of times I've never liked walking along the side of a road. Doing it that night would have been very dangerous so I phoned the emergency number for help.
The firemen arrived very quickly and drove me to Roncesvalles.
They asked if I was injured (well, my pride was) or lost. I said lost.
I guess if there's a lesson to be taken from this it is don't try to do on a short Winter day what you could easily accomplish on a long Summer one.
Initially I was so angry with myself I thought of going home. But the next morning was feeling in better spirits and set out for Zuburi.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took the bus from Bayonne to SJPdP on 2-1-'18 and arrived about 8.50. By the time I'd got my Credencial, visited the Church, and bought some food it was after 10 o'clock.
I arrived in Valcarlos about 3 and foolishly decided to push on to Roncesvalles.
I'd passed the point where the trail joins the road for about 100mts and was walking, sometimes ankle deep , along a very muddy and slippy path. I eventually came to what could be described as a torrent rushing down the hill from the right. It crossed the path like a river and tumbled down into the gorge to the left.
I thought slipping there could have had really serious consequences so decided to turn back.
The light had gone by the time I got back to the road. So it was pitch dark and still pouring down.
Even at the best of times I've never liked walking along the side of a road. Doing it that night would have been very dangerous so I phoned the emergency number for help.

I guess if there's a lesson to be taken from this it is don't try to do on a short Winter day what you could easily accomplish on a long Summer one.
Initially I was so angry with myself I thought of going home. But the next morning was feeling in better spirits and set out for Zuburi.

At least you realised your mistake, it's so easy to think we can do things and then it all changes.
The main thing is that only your pride was hurt. Continue to enjoy the journey.

It can be dangerous to walk in bad weather in the mountains especially when it's dark.

Glad that nothing bad happend to you .

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Stephen,
Lesson 1 the Camino made you check your pride and ego at the beginning! Not a bad thing as I dare say we all need that lesson from time to time! Safety 1st it’s ok to shorten your day and relax a little more. I’m sure you will make up time/miles if this is an issue in better weather. The most important thing is you are safe people responded promptly to your needs and your journey continues. Enjoy every step!
Buen Camino

Thank you Mister Stephen for the report. The good thing is that you are in good health and your camino continues. You can take a one-day break in Pamplona if you need to recharge your batteries. Please keep us updated on your progress. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

So glad you are safe. Wish you continued buen camino.
Always carry a local phone and pray for a signal.
I had a similar experience walking in Sicily this November. I overestimated how far I could walk before dark and it was getting dark and raining. I couldn't get a phone signal to call for help. I kept dialing and suddenly luckily reached a nearby hostel owner that quickly came to pick me up along the dark and windy road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe print and electronic guide books should include taxis to call from each town.
Yes, because not everyone carries smart phones and can google on the spot. But I always take the photo of taxi adverts as I walk, because one never knows when one will come in handy. Then I delete the photo as I move further away and take a new one of the new local service.

Wishing you well with the rest of your journey, Stephen. Hopefully the worst of the weather and conditions are behind you. If it's any consolation, the weather at home is also horrible at the moment. :)

I'm envious of all your walking - you always seem to be on Camino or planning a Camino these days!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, because not everyone carries smart phones and can google on the spot. But I always take the photo of taxi adverts as I walk, because one never knows when one will come in handy. Then I delete the photo as I move further away and take a new one of the new local service.
I always have phone # handy for taxis and lodgings where I will be staying to call in case I need help. Pictures of taxi service ads are great. Usually, one taxi services multiple towns along a riute. To me, having a working phone and data are as essential as my first aid kit.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are three positive things in your post Stephen , the first and most important is that you are safe and unhurt , the second , the knowledge that the Spanish Emergency Services are compassionate enough to come to the aid of a sole pilgrim , and the third your own admission , humbly accepting that you made the wrong decision , a mistake that is your own and no one else's . A rare thing today , rare in much of the population , rarer within some newer generations, and possibly non existent amongst politicians the world over :)

Hi Stephen, glad to hear that you are okay. You did well to call the bomberos. It is so much easier for all parties involved to rescue someone before they break an ankle, get stuck in the mud, lost in the woods or fall off a cliff in the dark and the pouring rain. This is a simple truth that should be universally acknowledged.

:)

Can I ask a veteran of the Valcarlos Route, (I've been over the Napoleon in June), how long it would likely take to walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles in decent weather? Would Stephen have made it before dark in ideal conditions? It does after all climb to over a thousand metres at the pass near the Roland Monument, and it seems the weather was foul.

A timely reminder for us all. Thank you Stephen for sharing this with us, good on YOU for realising you were/or would be, in trouble, and calling for help before the situation worsened for you. Very glad and relieved to read that your Adventure has ended safely and that you are okay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can I ask a veteran of the Valcarlos Route, (I've been over the Napoleon in June), how long it would likely take to walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles in decent weather? Would Stephen have made it before dark in ideal conditions? It does after all climb to over a thousand metres at the pass near the Roland Monument, and it seems the weather was foul.
Well, here is the map Gronze provides, no elevation on the map, only in text.
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles

Why the firefighters? Did taxi drivers not want to come collect you?
If I'd had a number for a taxi I'd have used it. I did try to call the albergue at Roncesvalles but couldn't get through.
Believe me, I wouldn't have used the emergency services if I could have seen another way to get out of the situation I was in.

Having been on that mountain in really dire weather, albeit the Napolean route, I can understand that anyone’s first instinct is to call the bomberos. It’s easy in hindsight to make a different decision. Hoping each of you is never there in a position where you fear for your life.
Besides if there is a bill then it is well worth paying. Cheap at half the price because what is a life worth? :) And I bet the bomberos would far rather collect a lost pilgrim than risk their lives in bad weather searching for a body.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thinking to myself (ha! On a public forum?) I am trying to remember what I learned last year when I followed a MOOC course on Logical and Critical Thinking.
What happened? Stephen shared what happened to him in a safe place, this forum. I cannot imagine how his thought processes went, or how fast. What I know is he is safe. I guess he will never have to learn that lesson twice.
Stephen, I am so glad you chose to keep going, so you just keep putting one foot in front of the other, ultreia!

Glad you were ok, these things happen, don’t let it spoil your experience.
I walked the Camino last last April from St Jean to Finistere and the experience was
Magical. The people you meet, places you visit, enjoy, kr Jim.

Believe me, I know to some extent, how Stephen would have felt, I’ve told this story elsewhere on the forum, but it might be relevant to recap.
On the second day of my first camino, the VdlP, I arrived at the bottom of the terrible climb up the ridge just before my destination Almaden de la Plata. I had read somewhere, (not on this forum - I hadn’t discovered it back then), that cyclists should take the road instead of the scenic route through the National Park. I decided to ignore that, thinking that if it gets tough, get off the bike and push. The result was that I got halfway up the hill and realised that I couldn’t go on. I have never felt so exhausted and defeated. It was close to 40 degrees, and I had finally run out of water. I had a phone but no sim card (wifi is everywhere in Spain, right?). The only option was to go back. OK, maybe not life threatening, but a scary prospect without water.
In that situation I was saved by a guy on a horse, who appeared, seemingly miraculously out of nowhere, took my bags to the top of the ridge, and found a young man to come down and help me with the bike.
The information we need is always available. Do we always process it?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I'd had a number for a taxi I'd have used it. I did try to call the albergue at Roncesvalles but couldn't get through.
Believe me, I wouldn't have used the emergency services if I could have seen another way to get out of the situation I was in.
As I said in my second post, it’s true that not every body carries a smart phone and can google a taxi telephone number, but initially I assumed you had called and they would not come get you. I wondered why that would have been the case.

of me being puzzled i asked a priest 'why did Jesus said ''father why have you forsaken me''?' the priest replied me, this is as being human flesh... a lot of people says they are ready to face the end of their time...but in the brink between a life & death we still wish not to be forsaken.
Wish you well @Stephen & looking forward the updates of your journey.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am concerned that decision making resulted in first responders having to go out!
Their job is pretty much to sit around, eat, and wait for a call. They probably were delighted to go out on a call that did not put them at risk -- a roadside rescue! ;)

A call when someone noticed a corpse next to the highway would have been much more distressing. The first question would have been, "Why didn't he dial 112?" I am sensing a reluctance to admit that help can be needed; it may be as little as feeling dizzy. Pressing on because of some sense of embarrassment or failure of macho could lead to a heart attack. Stephen's call was in no way frivolous. It fell well within the parameters of what first-responders expect. Anyone who thinks he did the WRONG thing should put their reasoning under a microscope. Even having alternatives such as a taxi and Uber do not make the decision wrong, particularly when a taxi/Uber is a long shot in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with no access to a way to contact them. I have carried a flip phone on a lot of caminos, and 112 would have been my ONLY alternative.

Don´t be surprised if you get a pretty startling bill in the post...
I doubt that this is going to apply in Stephen's case but according to Navarra's laws here are the charges for rescue: (Thanks to @Kathar1na for finding the http://www.lexnavarra.navarra.es/detalle.asp?r=28015 webpage last year.)

English first then Spanish (edited)

CHAPTER VII
Rate for firefighting and rescue services. Validity note
Article 51 bis Validity Note
1. Taxable event.
c) Rescue in areas of risk or difficult access, when due to reckless or reckless behavior of the beneficiary.
AMOUNT PER HOUR OR FRACTION (euros)
1. Intervention for each personal cash 30.00
2. ... Jeep, van or tourism 30.00 ...

[4. Helicopter rescue 1,200 to 1,400 per hour depending on type.]

b) Once the benefit constituting the taxable event has ended, the competent body in civil protection matters will issue the settlement of the rate that must specify the time invested and the number of personnel that have intervened, as well as the amount according to the established rate in this section.

6. Exemptions

The services listed in letters b), c), d) and e) of section 1 shall be exempt from the fee in the cases in which the request or provision of the service is motivated by fortuitous causes, unavoidable or not attributable to the conduct of the beneficiary.

CAPITULO VII
Tasa por servicios de extinción de incendios y salvamentos Nota de Vigencia
Artículo 51 bis Nota de Vigencia
1. Hecho imponible.
c) Rescate en zonas de riesgo o de difícil acceso, cuando sea debido a conductas imprudentes o temerarias del beneficiario.
5. Tarifa.
a) La cuantía de la tasa se determinará de conformidad con los siguientes importes:
IMPORTE POR HORA O FRACCIÓN (euros)
1. Intervención por cada efectivo personal 30,00
2. Intervención Vehículos ... Jeep, furgón o turismo 30,00 ...

b) Finalizada la prestación que constituye el hecho imponible, el órgano competente en materia de protección civil emitirá la liquidación de la tasa que deberá especificar el tiempo invertido y el número de efectivos que han intervenido, así como el importe de acuerdo con la tarifa establecida en este apartado.

6. Exenciones.

Los servicios enumerados en las letras b), c), d) y e) del apartado 1 estarán exentos de la tasa en los supuestos en los que la solicitud o prestación del servicio se encuentre motivada en causas fortuitas, inevitables o no imputables a la conducta del beneficiario.

...alternatives such as a taxi and Uber do not make the decision wrong, particularly when a taxi/Uber is a long shot in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with no access to a way to contact them. I have carried a flip phone on a lot of caminos, and 112 would have been my ONLY alternative.

It wasn’t the middle of the night... let’s not dramatise the situation. Stephen left Valcarlos at 3pm, and he was on a well travelled road.

This reminds me of the group that got « lost » in the middle of the day on their way into Molinaseca last summer. They were in fact 2km off course but panicked and called 112, in the middle of the day. Did they end up having a helicopter look for them? It was something ridiculois. If I remember correctly, they were not going to receive a bill: very lucky.

So now we know that one should not press on ahead mid-afternoon on one of the darkest and shortest days of the year, that one should always have taxi telephone numbers for the area on hand, ideally carry a smart phone to google for any other phone number of a source that might be able to help. And that all that failing, there is 112.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today's walk from Puente la Reina to Estella was similiar to the first one in this respect, it rained and rained.
I notice a lot of the young South Korean walkers are wearing gaiters. A good idea.
My raincoat keeps my upper body dry but drips most of the water its protected me from around my trouser bottoms. They've been soaking at the end of each day. So I unzip the bottoms and try to find somewhere to let them dry.
Some of you may remember the trouble I had on The Norte/primitivo last year with trousers when I walked the legs off them.
I learned a lesson from that and now carry 8 safety pins at the bottom of my pack. If the worst happens I'll pin them together. A punk style pilgrim.
Last night in Puente la Reina we enjoyed watching their Three Kings parade to the Church. There were stilt walkers, fire jugglers, traditional dancers, and a float where the Three Kings distributed sweets and small presents to the smaller children.
The look of enjoyement and excitement on their faces is a sight that will stay with me for a long time.

Stephen...the original poster... has written about his experience.
Most posters have responded to his safe arrival in Roncesvalles in a very positive way.

The few highly critical posts of the OP's experience have been deleted and everyone is requested to refrain from any further criticism of the actions or posts of other members.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most posters have responded to his safe arrival in Roncesvalles in a very positive way.

The few highly critical posts of the OP's experience have been deleted and everyone is requested to refrain from any further criticism of the actions or posts of other members.

Perhaps it might be time to lock this thread? Stephen’s experience and the helpful responses will no doubt be useful for others, but they probably don’t need any further comment.

Stephen - would you be willing to start a new ‘live from the Camino’ thread to keep us posted on your journey? I for one would love to read about it. Buen Camino!

Today's walk from Puente la Reina to Estella was similiar to the first one in this respect, it rained and rained.
I notice a lot of the young South Korean walkers are wearing gaiters. A good idea.
My raincoat keeps my upper body dry but drips most of the water its protected me from around my trouser bottoms. They've been soaking at the end of each day. So I unzip the bottoms and try to find somewhere to let them dry.
Some of you may remember the trouble I had on The Norte/primitivo last year with trousers when I walked the legs off them.
I learned a lesson from that and now carry 8 safety pins at the bottom of my pack. If the worst happens I'll pin them together. A punk style pilgrim.
Last night in Puente la Reina we enjoyed watching their Three Kings parade to the Church. There were stilt walkers, fire jugglers, traditional dancers, and a float where the Three Kings distributed sweets and small presents to the smaller children.
The look of enjoyement and excitement on their faces is a sight that will stay with me for a long time.
You missed the snow today in Pamplona so...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked from Valcarlos to Roncevalles twice, both in mid April. I had sunny weather and although it had lots of climbing, I remember I walked from approximately 8:00am until 2:00 or 2:30pm. Totally doable in good weather.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This reminds me of the movie The Edge, when they are talking about how most people in the wilderness die of shame.

I think I know the exact spot you're talking about. When I walked, there quite a flow of water from there as well, not something to mess with in the dark.

Your only mistake was not staying in the lovely town of Valcarlos. After that, every time you saw danger, you made the right choice, first to turn back, and then to call for help.

Sure, maybe you'll get a bill for the rescue. Maybe your pride is wounded. But now we have this thread that others can learn from. Imagine the thread we could have had, some family member coming on here and asking "Does anyone know Stephen from Belfast? He left St. Jean on the second and we haven't heard from him."

This reminds me of the movie The Edge, when they are talking about how most people in the wilderness die of shame.

I think I know the exact spot you're talking about. When I walked, there quite a flow of water from there as well, not something to mess with in the dark.

Your only mistake was not staying in the lovely town of Valcarlos. After that, every time you saw danger, you made the right choice, first to turn back, and then to call for help.

Sure, maybe you'll get a bill for the rescue. Maybe your pride is wounded. But now we have this thread that others can learn from. Imagine the thread we could have had, some family member coming on here and asking "Does anyone know Stephen from Belfast? He left St. Jean on the second and we haven't heard from him."
Such a variety of wise, uplifting and compassionate comments from all who responded. How nice that Stephen laced up his walking shoes and marched on! Yes, @jeffnd, a thread for others to learn from...and I too, loved my stay in Valcarlos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was in a very similar situation on my first camino, on that same hill, but it had started to snow quite heavily, my knee was hurting, and it was getting dark. When the trail came out on to the road I stopped there and flagged down a passing car for a ride up to Ronscevalles. I was cold, miserable, and in pain but I wasn't in danger. I knew eventually a car would stop. So my suggestion to others is to consider hitchhiking when there doesn't seem to be any option of continuing to walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jeffnd :)
'' most people in the wilderness die of shame''

A marvelous quote and thank you for reminding me of it , this is something I will try to keep in my internal emergency supply and something I am going to pass on to all of my bush walking companions .

Remarkable what a positive effect a warm bed and a good night's sleep can have on your mental well-being! Hope the rest of your journey is great! Good decisions come from experience and experience, at some level, comes from surviving bad decisions! Some might say the whole idea of walking 800 km to Santiago is a risky decision!

One day this will make a good story :)
It makes a good story today!! There are several lessons in the story, but the one that hits home with me is that previous camino experience is not a perfect predictor of what happens on this one, today. Stephen is not a first timer. He knows it is not easy having walked across the Pyrenees twice before, but on this day, in this weather, in this physical condition, what he did before he could not do again. It is laudatory that he realized this, and did the right thing. We should all become so wise so easily!;)

Now he is cruisin'...

Buen camino
to him.

The lightest and most effective piece of survival equipment: a photo of a loved one.

Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that, uh, most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.

Stephen: What?

Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?" And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would save their lives.

Robert Green: And what is that, Charles?

Charles Morse: Thinking.

You are totally fine to do what you did, you used your judgment and that is all that can be asked of. I've never thought of taking a picture of cab phone number because
never in my wildest dreams have I imagined sitting in a cab on the camino, though its great advice as anything can happen. My famous saying is, "no one in an Emergency room
has planned for their day to be spent in the Emergency room".
I am ALWAYS so shocked (I'm not seeing it here on this thread) but I am always so shocked at the pilgrims (???) who seem to get so upset when they read
in a paper about a pilgrim needing help and using x911/ x211 etc... for goodness sake do they sit around at their home and look at all of the calls their local emergency units
respond to? do they devour their precious days in such anger daily, and if they do what a pity.
I work in Emergency Services, and have worked a Trauma Hospital in one of the busiest cities in the World...and while your story might not get workers adrenaline pumping most of us are adrenaline junkies
and actually like to be put to action!!!!!! Most of these guys in the Pyrenees are volunteers, I know personally!
Glad you made it there safe!

Last edited:

ALL negative comments commenting on pilgrims needing emergency services should always be dealt with in this manner. Anyone who feels the need to laugh, make fun of or give some sob story about
how these resources are being "misused" don't know anything about emergency services resources. I've read so many posts on these forums about the "poor" emergency workers who had to go and do something...most if not all love each and every call they get. Except Holidays, or when their family is at a party without them. It's not the calls that upset them its their schedule!!!
I hope I never get stuck (and I do mean stuck) walking with anyone who is so miserable (and I do mean miserable) who would criticize any situation that someone needed HELP!

I doubt that this is going to apply in Stephen's case but according to Navarra's laws here are the charges for rescue: (Thanks to @Kathar1na for finding the http://www.lexnavarra.navarra.es/detalle.asp?r=28015 webpage last year.)

English first then Spanish (edited)

CHAPTER VII
Rate for firefighting and rescue services. Validity note
Article 51 bis Validity Note
1. Taxable event.
c) Rescue in areas of risk or difficult access, when due to reckless or reckless behavior of the beneficiary.
AMOUNT PER HOUR OR FRACTION (euros)
1. Intervention for each personal cash 30.00
2. ... Jeep, van or tourism 30.00 ...

[4. Helicopter rescue 1,200 to 1,400 per hour depending on type.]

b) Once the benefit constituting the taxable event has ended, the competent body in civil protection matters will issue the settlement of the rate that must specify the time invested and the number of personnel that have intervened, as well as the amount according to the established rate in this section.

6. Exemptions

The services listed in letters b), c), d) and e) of section 1 shall be exempt from the fee in the cases in which the request or provision of the service is motivated by fortuitous causes, unavoidable or not attributable to the conduct of the beneficiary.

CAPITULO VII
Tasa por servicios de extinción de incendios y salvamentos Nota de Vigencia
Artículo 51 bis Nota de Vigencia
1. Hecho imponible.
c) Rescate en zonas de riesgo o de difícil acceso, cuando sea debido a conductas imprudentes o temerarias del beneficiario.
5. Tarifa.
a) La cuantía de la tasa se determinará de conformidad con los siguientes importes:
IMPORTE POR HORA O FRACCIÓN (euros)
1. Intervención por cada efectivo personal 30,00
2. Intervención Vehículos ... Jeep, furgón o turismo 30,00 ...

b) Finalizada la prestación que constituye el hecho imponible, el órgano competente en materia de protección civil emitirá la liquidación de la tasa que deberá especificar el tiempo invertido y el número de efectivos que han intervenido, así como el importe de acuerdo con la tarifa establecida en este apartado.

6. Exenciones.

Los servicios enumerados en las letras b), c), d) y e) del apartado 1 estarán exentos de la tasa en los supuestos en los que la solicitud o prestación del servicio se encuentre motivada en causas fortuitas, inevitables o no imputables a la conducta del beneficiario.
LOL- if I ever need a helicopter I would be happy to pay that bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've worked for a hospital where one of our crews went down (and died) while in service, a HUGE risk...but trust me everytime that helicopter was requested and they got out of the comm room to go help someone their adrenaline was pumping and they were excited and thrilled to be of service!!!!!!!

Hola @Stephen (and others) - well as they say "discretion is the better part of valor". My only other comment is that at 3.00 pm at Valcarlos it most have been almost dark - or at least getting on for it with whatever limited twilight exists in that valley in January (remember you are only 2 weeks after the shortest day in the Northern Winter). A cup of coffee in Valcarlos should have convinced you that pressing on - remember you have to climb some 700 metres from Valcarlos to the chapel / church that leads down to Roncesvalles.
I offer my best wishes for a successful Camino. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back