• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rescues in Navarra

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rescues for hypothermia and heat stroke within days of each other, so much variation on the Camino! The weather can change, just like that, and it is wise to be aware.

HYPOTHERMIA in MAY??? Egads! I assumed the Camino would be hot in Navarre during that time. I'm from South Carolina and we've had an unusually cool spring. I wondered what the weather was like for people on the Camino but hypothermia? I had always assumed the unpredictable weather had more to do with afternoon thunderstorms. We have that all the time this time of year. A beautiful day, no rain forecast, just a chance of thunderstorms. Then there slight chance of storms becomes a severe downfall with hail.

Thank you again to all the kind folks who maintain and moderate on this sight. I would never have thought to pack something warm to wear for my trip in May 2013! At least now, I can pack for unexpected cold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is likely that a hundred pilgrims left St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port that day. My guess is that some dressed for the weather, and some did not. The story seems to have changed from lost English pilgrims to lost American pilgrims, making it much more logical.

Tweed vs. a rock band t-shirt.

:twisted:

lizlane said:
HYPOTHERMIA in MAY??? Egads! I assumed the Camino would be hot in Navarre during that time. I'm from South Carolina and we've had an unusually cool spring. I wondered what the weather was like for people on the Camino but hypothermia? I had always assumed the unpredictable weather had more to do with afternoon thunderstorms. We have that all the time this time of year. A beautiful day, no rain forecast, just a chance of thunderstorms. Then there slight chance of storms becomes a severe downfall with hail.

Thank you again to all the kind folks who maintain and moderate on this sight. I would never have thought to pack something warm to wear for my trip in May 2013! At least now, I can pack for unexpected cold.

Well, for one thing, the weather can be unpredictable in the mountains. In September 2010 when I walked the Napoleon Route from SJPP to Roncesvalles, it was in thick, cool mist and fog, then rain through the beech forest at the end. People two days before had bright sunshine (and amazing views!). Two or three days after, a couple of people were airlifted off the top of the mountain because they were at risk for hypothermia (I think it started to snow but I don't remember for sure).

Last year in October, I climbed to O Cebreiro in lovely misty rain (with a bit of a downpour for a while). People before and after had sunshine, and when a friend of mine was at O Cebreiro about a week later, he woke up the next morning to snow!

It all depends, and I think the worst weather is usually at altitude. But even in lower places, it can be chilly... or very hot! Bright sunshine in Galicia can be frost on the ground the next morning, depending on the time of year.

That's one reason I like my merino wool clothing so much, it keeps me cool on hot days, and warm on cold days!

Rachel

A snippet from the article quoted (translation by Google):

Navarre Emergency Agency has appealed to pilgrims to consult the weather forecast, wear appropriate clothing and shoes, a map, address signage and directions and do not leave shelters in the event that are not in good physical condition. The weather website of the Government of Navarra (meteo.navarra.es) contains detailed information on time to the Road (meteo.navarra.es / predictions / caminodesantiago.cfm), in Castilian, English, French, German and Italian.

The website quoted is http://meteo.navarra.es/predicciones/caminodesantiago.cfm and you will find the different language versions there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back