• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservation Roncesvalles.

Alicehou

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 : from SJPDP to Santiago.. This year: 2015 i am going to walk from Porto to Santiago
I have tried to make a reservation in Roncesvalles on their homepage but i haven't heard from them yet ...I hav tried to send a message in facebook and i am told to try again and i did, but i still haven't heard from them. Anyone here knows what to do ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have tried to make a reservation in Roncesvalles on their homepage but i haven't heard from them yet ...I hav tried to send a message in facebook and i am told to try again and i did, but i still haven't heard from them. Anyone here knows what to do ?
It's not clear from your description whether you made a successful booking and a successful payment or not.
  1. Make sure that automatic translation (e.g. from Spanish into English) is switched off in your browser. It's a major reason why people have problems with booking. If you use this link http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/index.php?idioma=2 you are automatically on the English version of the website.
  2. Select date of arrival, enter your email address (make sure that you don't make a typing error here !!!), your name, and number of beds. Pick option for bed only or bed+food. Click to agree to booking conditions and data protection. Then click on Send.
  3. You will now see a summary of your order. Check it and then click on Send.
  4. You now arrive at the payment gate. Make sure that automatic translation is switched off in your browser; you may chose Inglés (English) in top right corner. Fill in credit card number, expiration date, and security code. The system accepts credit cards by Visa and MasterCard. Click on Accept (or Pagar if in Spanish).
  5. You are now taken to a second payment window. Make sure that your bank has activated the 3-D security feature for your credit card (Verified by Visa or Mastercard Securecode). Without it, you will not succeed with your booking. Proceed as usual, that is enter your password or your bank generated code or whatever is required at this stage according to your bank's protocol.
  6. Payment is now completed and the bed is booked. You should see or get a link for a pdf file that you need to download, print out and take with you. (I've not tested step 6 myself).
This simply cannot be that complicated. I refuse to believe it and have great confidence that the Camino or the pilgrim community or the website developer will eventually provide ;). Good luck and buen camino!!!

You may also get the advice to "just use PayPal". Good luck with that one because I don't have the faintest idea about how to do that in this specific case as there is no option for PayPal payment on the Roncesvalles website.

Updated on 9/5/2018.

Last edited:
I filled in the formular as you describe it and got an email back that it has being received but i never arrived to the payment gate

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's not clear from your description whether you made a successful booking and a successful payment or not.
  1. Make sure that automatic translation from Spanish into English (or whatever language you use) is switched off. It's a major reason why people have problems with booking. Also, use an up to date browser. If you use this link http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/index.php?idioma=2 you are automatically on the English page version.
  2. Fill in date of arrival, your email (make sure that you don't make a typing error here !!!), your name, number of beds, pick option whether bed only or bed + food, click acceptance of conditions (you may want to read both of them first), click send.
  3. You see a summary of your order, click send.
  4. You arrive at the payment gate. Perhaps make sure again that your automatic translation is switched off in your browser or chose Inglés in top right corner. Fill in card number, expiration date, security code. The system accepts Visa and Maestro, not sure about others.
  5. You may now arrive at another payments gate, managed by your bank, where you enter further security details (at least that's what happens when I test it). Proceed as usual. This may be another hurdle for foreign cards if their banks use lower and less sophisticated security levels.
  6. Not sure about what happens next (as I've not tested it) but payment is now completed, the bed is booked and trying to guess from the tiny bits of information that others have mentioned you should get a link for a pdf file that you need to download, print out and take with you. Perhaps also an email confirmation - not sure whether from bank/payment card system or website.
This just cannot be that complicated. I refuse to believe it and have great confidence that the Camino or the pilgrim community or the website developer will eventually provide ;). Good luck and buen camino!!!

You may also get the advice to "just use PayPal". Good luck with that because I would not have the slightest clue how to do that in this specific case. There is no option for PayPal payment on the Roncesvalles website.
And Thank you :)))

You are right :))) I got the same message as the one you showed...And nothing more happened...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When i first found out that i had to press "send" two times, it was very easy !!I was n aware that i had to send the formular two times before i got a new formular from where i could pay

i did it two times, as you said. but not working . How can I..?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I filled in the formular and pressed "send" and then there turned another page up where i was asked if this was the informations i wanted to send and - again - i had to press send, and- finally came a page where i was able to pay

exactly what I did. ....... On the page for pay, I put all credit information and then click for pay, but I got a page " .... not completely finishied.."

Ok ??? Then i don't know what to do .... After making my payment i got a confirmation plus another one sent to my emailadresse ...Hope you will succed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
On the page for pay, I put all credit information and then click for pay, but I got a page " .... not completely finishied.."
@joeandmiki, check with your bank whether your card is enabled to pay by "Verified by Visa" or "Mastercard SecureCode". This security feature is called "3 D Secure authentication". See this screenshot of the first payment page below (click on it to enlarge). From what I can tell, your credit card needs to have this feature if you want to make an online reservation for the Roncesvalles albergue.

3-D Roncesvalles.jpeg

Instead of "... not completely finished" you should get a second payment page where you must fill in additional personal details/a password/a code generated by your bank and sent to you by SMS or some kind of similar additional security procedure. Does this sound familiar to you?

Last edited:
.... There are numerous comments about this on the Rick Steves forum, for example this one from last year about online ticket purchase on the Vatican website: Our Charles Schwab Visa card which we use when we travel internationally because there are no transaction fees did not work. After many failed attempts, we tried our local Credit Union Visa card which did work, and we realized it was because it uses Verified by Visa which our Schwab card does not.

Lots of folks on the forum use Charles Schwab and I haven't read of this problem, so it is certainly not universal to Schwab. The many reviews on the Schwab card also confirm that it is a very popular foreign travel card.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One reason their card may not have worked is because you MUST contact Schwab ahead of time and put in a travel alert. I've used it for many years with no problems. Hopefully that won't change.

Just to make this clear: Your Visa card will not work if your bank has not activated the Verified for Visa protocol or does not even offer it.

There are numerous comments about this on the Rick Steves forum, for example this one from last year about online ticket purchase on the Vatican website: Our Charles Schwab Visa card which we use when we travel internationally because there are no transaction fees did not work. After many failed attempts, we tried our local Credit Union Visa card which did work, and we realized it was because it uses Verified by Visa which our Schwab card does not.

Note that this comment concerns online purchases from websites such as the Roncesvalles albergue who use payment gateways that require that the 3 D Secure feature is activated. Without it, your card will still be fine in shops, hotels or many websites that don’t rely on this security layer.

Hi there, can you give me a link to this forum about the Schwab card not working?
I'd love to give Schwab a heads up on it.
Thanks.

I made my reservation last week. I couldn't get my Mastercard to work even though my credit union said it should. I ended up emailing in Spanish the contact info for the alberque and receiving the reply in Spanish directions on how to use PayPal. So I ended up with a confirmation email from them that I have a reservation having used PayPal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I made my reservation last week. I couldn't get my Mastercard to work even though my credit union said it should. I ended up emailing in Spanish the contact info for the alberque and receiving the reply in Spanish directions on how to use PayPal. So I ended up with a confirmation email from them that I have a reservation having used PayPal.
Great. At least paypal seems to works. I never use a "secure 3-D' and don't even know if my two mastercards even offer it.

I never use my Schwab debit card to make purchases, only to withdraw cash from ATMs. I always use my credit card which gives me points for travel to make purchases. I'll be walking my third Camino this year, and the third one that I've been able to travel using my CC points.

I never use my Schwab debit card to make purchases, only to withdraw cash from ATMs. I always use my credit card which gives me points for travel to make purchases. I'll be walking my third Camino this year, and the third one that I've been able to travel using my CC points.

The same thing for me; debit card for ATMs only. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The same thing for me; debit card for ATMs only. :)
And another reason for that is that you have less protections when using a debit card vs a credit card. All three of my kids have had their debit cards compromised in different ways, gas station, ATM in Moscow, and ??. Their banks all made everything right in the end, but it's just one more thing to stress about. I'd rather raise a dispute on a CC charge before I've paid the bill vs. trying to get back money that's been taken from my account via a debit card.

They say a picture says more than a thousands words. So I hope this helps: if you make an online purchase with Visa, Mastercard or American Express and you see logos like the ones marked in purple (see below) on the payment page, your card must be enabled for 3 D security, otherwise the payment will not go through and you need to check whether there are other payment options (such as PayPal where you can use the same cards without this requirement):

View attachment 42362
@Kathar1na
Thank you so much for the information about the Mastercard SecureCode. I have just acquired a new Mastercard and was not aware of this additional layer of security and the problems which might result if I had not activated it. Certainly, the possibility of not being able to make a RENFE reservation without it could be serious. I have just activated this feature for my new card, to make sure that I can use it for all purposes when I travel. Thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.