• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations at Orisson

JamesB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés SJPP-Astorga April 2018
Astorga-SdC April/May 2019
Hi,
In the throes of planning my first Camino (Francés) at the moment. This forum is a goldmine of useful information, but I have one question re. the first couple of days.
I will be flying out from Bristol to Bordeaux, then getting the late train to Bayonne, on 3rd April. I was planning to have an easy day the next day, getting the lunchtime train to SJPdP, then start the walk to Roncesvalles on the 5th (I've already made a reservation there for that night).
However, now I'm thinking maybe I should get the early train to St Jean on the 4th, then walk up to Orisson and stay the night there, and still arrive in Roncesvalles on the 5th. Would there be any need to book at Orisson that early in the season?
Also, I think I read somewhere that you have to pay up front when reserving at Orisson, so if I had to go by the Valcarlos route due to the Napoleon being closed, that would mean I would lose my money. Am I worrying unnecessarily here?
Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!
James

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's great- thanks for the reassurance.

How did you get a reservation and for when?
I just made my deposit for September via PayPal!
I requested two spots via the email address at http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/#contact , and received a confirmation and invoice from Jean-Jacques in a little over 24 hours.
I am happy we will be able to ease into the Camino the first day.
¡Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
In the throes of planning my first Camino (Francés) at the moment. This forum is a goldmine of useful information, but I have one question re. the first couple of days.
I will be flying out from Bristol to Bordeaux, then getting the late train to Bayonne, on 3rd April. I was planning to have an easy day the next day, getting the lunchtime train to SJPdP, then start the walk to Roncesvalles on the 5th (I've already made a reservation there for that night).
However, now I'm thinking maybe I should get the early train to St Jean on the 4th, then walk up to Orisson and stay the night there, and still arrive in Roncesvalles on the 5th. Would there be any need to book at Orisson that early in the season?
Also, I think I read somewhere that you have to pay up front when reserving at Orisson, so if I had to go by the Valcarlos route due to the Napoleon being closed, that would mean I would lose my money. Am I worrying unnecessarily here?
James
Hello JamesB
When I tried to make a reservation at Orisson for April 9 2018, I received an email reply stating they did not accept reservations at that time of year. I should call 24hrs in advance to book - weather pending. Hope this helps.

I still recommend spending a full day, if you can, at St. Jean Pied de Port. It is a singularly beautiful town with a fair bit to see.

They have been equipping, provisioning and sending pilgrims forth to Santiago for more than 1100 years. IMHO, SJPdP is worth a two or three-day tourist visit all by itself.

You CAN take the early train from Bayonne and start out immediately, after checking in at the Pilgrim Office (rue Citadelle #39) to obtain the most up-to-date information on the route, guides, a scallop shell, your first pilgrimage sello / stamp, and last minute supplies you might need in local shops. However, rushing from Bayonne to Orisson, via SJPdP in one-day is pushing it, at least IMHO.

Life and the Camino is about the journey, NOT the destination. Santiago will be there waiting for you. He does not get out much these days... Enjoy the route...;)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
rushing from Bayonne to Orisson, via SJPdP in one-day is pushing it, at least IMHO.

I agree with this! For me, the beginning of a journey, setting the right frame of mind, savoring the moment, was so important. So consider a night in SJPdP and in Orisson, whatever works best for you.

When you spend the night at Orisson you don't need to start out early from St Jean, so you can enjoy a leisurely breakfast, and a stroll around town before setting out. I left around 11:00 my first time, and arrived in the early afternoon. There's not a lot to do up there, so no need to rush getting there.

I emailed Orisson last night, and Jean-Jacques replied this morning saying they're not sure they'll be open at that time, and I should call a few days before I arrive to reserve. I presume the reason they might not be open is if the route's closed due to snow.

The train from Bayonne gets to St Jean at 8.40am, so I figure I should have time to call in at the pilgrim office, have some breakfast and have a look round the town before I start walking, and still get to Orisson at a reasonable time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the Napoleon Pass is closed due to snow, there is no point in walking that very steep upgrade 8 km to get there, is there...is there? You can take the Valcarlos Route instead.

My advice remains, get to SJPdP, stay in rented accommodation overnight or a second night. Visit the Pilgrim Office at #39 Rua Citadelle and consult with them. If the NP is not open, Orisson will not be open. Have them call the proprietor for you to double check, before you set out.

Hope this helps.

Not to sound too negative but in early April you may want to consider a start in Pamplona. The snow season in the Pyrenees seems to be coming later every year. Several years ago we had the most snow ever in May, it is snowing in the mountains today. It snowed on the beach yesterday. A way to monitor the situation is to watch the cold fronts that affect North America and add 3 to 5 days, they pick up energy and moisture as they cross the Atlantic and then dump the snow on France and Spain.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not to sound too negative but in early April you may want to consider a start in Pamplona. The snow season in the Pyrenees seems to be coming later every year. Several years ago we had the most snow ever in May, it is snowing in the mountains today. It snowed on the beach yesterday. A way to monitor the situation is to watch the cold fronts that affect North America and add 3 to 5 days, they pick up energy and moisture as the cross the Atlantic and then dump the snow on France and Spain.
Thanks much for that info. We are starting from SJPP in April and I've been trying to get a general idea of the character of this year's winter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In this moment there is a lot of snow in the mountain and often in April there is snow and it's not possible to pass by the mountain. At the pilgrims office we say to pass by Valcarlos. So it's better don't book in Orisson. When you will be at SJPP you have to go to the pilgrims office and the volunteer will inform you and if it's possible to pass by the mountain he will call to Orisson for you.

Thanks for the advice. I may have sounded a bit too optimistic about being able to go via the Route Napoleon. I appreciate that going over the mountain isn't a good idea if it's snowy. I'll get the early train to St Jean, and then make a decision between the two routes based on the weather forecast and advice at the pilgrim office.
If I seem overly keen to get to Roncesvalles on Thursday the 5th, it's because I want to get to Pamplona on the Saturday, so I can go to the 10am Traditional Latin Mass in the Cathedral on Sunday morning. After that I'm pretty easy about my schedule.

What about September? I'd like to start as late in Sept. as possible, and want to make my reservations at Orrison, but without risking snow. Somewhere between 15-20 Sept?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What about September? I'd like to start as late in Sept. as possible, and want to make my reservations at Orrison, but without risking snow. Somewhere between 15-20 Sept?

Hi Jodean, I have stayed at Orisson mid-Oct. They closed for the season a couple of days later, about 17 Oct. So you should be able to get a booking at the end of Sep.
Jill

Hi,
James
I have tried to reserve Orisson for the 6th but they would not accept it. They said it is a bit early and not sure if the route will be open then, Recommended I phone them the day before to see if they are open. Leaves me in a bit of a spot as there is no way I could do the whole walk in one day and if I cant get into Orisson, I dont know what I will do. But yes, normally you pay in advance

In this moment there is a lot of snow in the mountain and often in April there is snow and it's not possible to pass by the mountain. At the pilgrims office we say to pass by Valcarlos. So it's better don't book in Orisson. When you will be at SJPP you have to go to the pilgrims office and the volunteer will inform you and if it's possible to pass by the mountain he will call to Orisson for you.

Thank you, this is just the advice I wanted

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back