• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations at Refuge Orisson

sanddreamer

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2013
Have any of you made reservations at Refuge Orisson recently? Like in 2013? I find a contact form on their website but no reservation page. I have contacted them...they say to use "paypal" to make the deposit. Ok. But HOW? No reserve form, link or anything. I'm stumped. Thanks for your assistance. Rick :eek:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
i had no problem (booked in january for 4th april) i filled out the contact form and they emailed me and sent me an invoice through paypal, maybe you use a different email a/c for paypal or your not on paypal, either way just send them the email address that your using for paypal and they will send you an invoice and you can then pay by card.

Hope this helps

If not ring Telephone: +33 (0)5.59.49.13.03

Thanks Keoghy.. I will try that. Not sure why they didn't tell me that in the two emails they sent. Will try again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just completed the process for September. When I received the email I didn't understand if they were going to send a second email with PayPal instructions or not...so I went into my Paypal account and initiated the payment myself using their email address for recipient.

Update: Should have waited for invoice. The 32 euro, as stated in email, was refused and an invoice issued for 34.01 euro which included taxes and misc fees. The invoice had a "pay now" link which I used to pay properly. :oops:

Thank-you to all of you. Received an email from them telling me all they needed was the date I wanted to stay there. Once I sent that they initiated the charge to pay-pal and reservation was confirmed shortly thereafter. All's Well :D

Has anyone been able to contact Orisson in the last week or so. I have filled out their form three times and no response. This last time I did add that we would be willing to sleep in the tents in back . We are only taking liners - no pad or sleeping bag. Has anyone slept in the tents? What are they like? Also any suggestions on how to contact. At 66 and not wanting to walk all the way to Ronsevalles the first day, I would really like to get ahold of them. Thanks in advance. Lynda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lyndale said:
Has anyone been able to contact Orisson in the last week or so. I have filled out their form three times and no response. This last time I did add that we would be willing to sleep in the tents in back . We are only taking liners - no pad or sleeping bag. Has anyone slept in the tents? What are they like? Also any suggestions on how to contact. At 66 and not wanting to walk all the way to Ronsevalles the first day, I would really like to get ahold of them. Thanks in advance. Lynda

Hi Lynda,
I have slept in the tents at Orisson, and they are very comfortable. There are blankets provided in the tents, so your liner will be fine (that's all I had, in late September).

I've had similar delays in booking with Orisson, but they do always get back to me. I wonder sometimes if their system for managing reservations is to do it all one day a week, with no contact on any other days. In any event, it is high season, and they are likely just really busy.

I've emailed them twice this week. Called when I got no response and they told me on the phone that I needed to email them my request. :eek: What can you do? Will wait a few more days to see if they get back to me.

I booked for sept earlier in year... did not have problem .. got their email.. clicked on paypal link .. all done ..got paypal receipt and email to say they had received payment.... i have kept all correspondence with me and take it with me.... will also be sending a confirmation email to them a few days before just so there are no hiccups :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just as Annie is going to do, ALWAYS confirm Orisson one or two days before arrival, or they will give your spot to someone else and you will not receive a refund. If you give them a tentative arrival time when you confirm, be sure it is several hours after you expect to arrive. I've seen them give away beds if someone didn't arrive by the time they said they would.

I'm still trying Orisson. Ive mailed, I've phoned (they told me to email), emailed again. It has been weeks. Very frustrated any suggestions?

I'm still trying Orisson. Ive mailed, I've phoned (they told me to email), emailed again. It has been weeks. Very frustrated any suggestions?
I emailed and received a reply within 24 hours and within another few hours i had received the PayPal link and paid. This was a couple of weeks ago for a booking the night of the 29th August. Sorry to hear that you are having problems!

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have also been trying to contact them via their website - no response! Disappointing, so I will just keep walking:)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Everyone, Doing my first Camino and am hoping to stay at the Orisson. Can you please post the website address as I have tried one that does'nt seem to work.
May thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Im feeling concerned as have sent 3 emails trying to book a bed at Orisson next Thurs 29th August but havent had a reply....yet! Unfortunately Im starting my Camino with a foot injury, so I wont be able to manage the distance from SJPDP to Roncevaux. Is there anywhere else to sleep if there is no space available at Orisson? Do other pilgrims have anything for bed bugs? Are they really a problem?

Im feeling concerned as have sent 3 emails trying to book a bed at Orisson next Thurs 29th August but havent had a reply....yet! Unfortunately Im starting my Camino with a foot injury, so I wont be able to manage the distance from SJPDP to Roncevaux. Is there anywhere else to sleep if there is no space available at Orisson? Do other pilgrims have anything for bed bugs? Are they really a problem?
Hi Rose,
I had sent off a couple of E-mails to Orisson and got no reply, but I did manage to telephone them today and the lady told me they were full, from now till the end of September. So no Joy there. I'm just going to try the Hunnto through the pilgrims office when I get there on the 30th!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just as Annie is going to do, ALWAYS confirm Orisson one or two days before arrival, or they will give your spot to someone else and you will not receive a refund. If you give them a tentative arrival time when you confirm, be sure it is several hours after you expect to arrive. I've seen them give away beds if someone didn't arrive by the time they said they would.

This place seems evil.

I cannot understand why you do not consider the Valcarlos route.
This was the original way , NOT, St JPdP
If you can arrive early start on the GR65 from Le Puy, a few days before St.JPdP . The towns are easy reached from Biarritz and very friendly.
Walk the 3 short days to StJPdP , warming up, stay a day in this lovely town and then do the following:
1/ If you can't do 27km give your bag to the taxi and walk over the pass , if weather permitting.
2/ Take the lower route in the beautiful valley and stay in Valcarlos.
It is becoming popular and the town very welcoming of pilgrims.

When you get to Santo Domingo , look on the wall in cafe beside the Parador and see if St. JPdP is on the ancient painting of the Frances Camino....it's not/ Valcarlos is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This place seems evil.
Not evil, I don't think, just a blend of business profit and courtesy to other pilgrims. They don't like holding beds and not getting paid, hence the requirement for prepayment, and they don't like to turn away pilgrims when they have an empty bed. Personally, it would be more customer-friendly if they returned your payment if they resell your bed, but they do tell you up front that the deposit is nonrefundable. They have not consulted with me on their business practices...;)

This place seems evil.

Evil? In what way? Imagine you owned a busy high end restaurant and you were booked solid on Friday night and 1/3 of the customers didn't show up and didn't bother to call and cancel? They deal with this all the time, that's why they don't offer refunds, they always have people who decide once they get there, they feel like walking on to Roncevalles, put yourself in their shoes.

Orisson is definitely NOT evil. They are a business, and they adhere to strict business practices. But more than that, they are dedicated to serving the pilgrims who need them most. If you pay for a bed and don't use it, and don't tell them that you're not going to use it, that means that another pilgrim could go without a place to stay.

The owner of Orisson, Jean-Jacques, is himself a pilgrim. Most years he walks the Camino Frances after he closes up for the winter in mid to late October. He is a pilgrim at heart, and a smart business man as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had the smoothest booking experience with Jean-Jacques at the beginning of February.
He contacted me when he received the payment and another email to say he was looking forward to seeing me in April this year, very kind.
It took all of 3 days to finalize it all. Sweet :D

I cannot understand why you do not consider the Valcarlos route.
This was the original way , NOT, St JPdP
If you can arrive early start on the GR65 from Le Puy, a few days before St.JPdP . The towns are easy reached from Biarritz and very friendly.
Walk the 3 short days to StJPdP , warming up, stay a day in this lovely town and then do the following:
1/ If you can't do 27km give your bag to the taxi and walk over the pass , if weather permitting.
2/ Take the lower route in the beautiful valley and stay in Valcarlos.
It is becoming popular and the town very welcoming of pilgrims.

When you get to Santo Domingo , look on the wall in cafe beside the Parador and see if St. JPdP is on the ancient painting of the Frances Camino....it's not/ Valcarlos is.

I too find Valcarlos a fine stop. On all my caminos I have walked the Valcarlos alternative; it is the ONLY way open in snow. The municipal albergue is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info see http://www.luzaide-valcarlos.net/.

Ive tried 3 times now and am thinking they might be closed for the season?..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not evil, I don't think, just a blend of business profit and courtesy to other pilgrims. They don't like holding beds and not getting paid, hence the requirement for prepayment, and they don't like to turn away pilgrims when they have an empty bed. Personally, it would be more customer-friendly if they returned your payment if they resell your bed, but they do tell you up front that the deposit is nonrefundable. They have not consulted with me on their business practices...;)
Hi Falcon269, thank you again for the Alsa bus schedule. I am considering staying one night in Madrid and leaving early to Pamplona. Questions: Do you know of any hostel close to the Av America bus station? And Is 21:50 too late to find an Albergue in Pamplona?
Thanks again.

Days will be longer in May, so there may a tinge of sunset at 2150. The Spanish head for the restaurants at 2100, so 2150 is not late for people being about. The main albergue, Jesus y Maria, is open until 2300, so you can head for it. There are a number of good hostales at about 35E, too, so you could make reservations at one of them, if you need peace of mind.

I have never stayed in Madrid, so I don't have a recommendation on accommodations there.

Buen camino.

I received a reply from Orisson regarding making a reservation with 24 hours and then a PayPal link within 24 hours of emailing them a confirmation that I would like to stay.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have any of you made reservations at Refuge Orisson recently? Like in 2013? I find a contact form on their website but no reservation page. I have contacted them...they say to use "paypal" to make the deposit. Ok. But HOW? No reserve form, link or anything. I'm stumped. Thanks for your assistance. Rick :eek:
Hi
I sent a message on their online contact 1 day ago asking for a med and meal on the 12 May and received an email this morning with a paypal link which I paid. Easy. Perhaps you should send one again? Good luck

OOPS! I just replied on another thread--this one may have been more appropriate. Seems that Orisson is quite popular--a month away from my Camino, and the Refuge is already booked full. So, it's all the way to Roncevalles for me...and lots of others. Does anyone know how far in advance to make a reservation at Orisson? Thanks!

There is Kayola near Orisson, and Huntto further down the hill. Valcarlos splits the difference on the alternative route, if you want to break up the walk to Roncesvalles.

(2) Honto
Albergue Ferme Ithurburia
22 plazas |
15 euros | Cocina de uso libre
Otros alojamientos:
Casa Rural Ithurburia: Route Napoleón (a pie de Camino) | 5 hab. | 45-50 € ind. / 55-60 € dob. / 70-75 € trip. | Reserva: 00-33-559-37-11-17 /
(3) Orisson
Refugio Orisson
28 plazas |
33 euros (mp) | Cena comunitaria
Albergue Kayola
15 plazas |
15 euros | Cocina de uso libre

(5) Valcarlos
Albergue municipal de Valcarlos
24 plazas |
10 euros (d) | Cocina de uso libre
Otros alojamientos:
Casa Rural Erlanio: C. Elizaldea, 58 | A pie de Camino | 3 hab. | 35 € dob. | Reserva: 948-79-02-18
Hostal Maitena: C. Elizaldea, s/n | A pie de Camino | 6 hab. | 40-45 € ind. / 50-55 € dob. | Reserva: 948-79-02-10
Casa Rural Etxezuria: C. Elizaldea, 60 | A pie de Camino | 8 hab. | 45 € dob. | Reserva: 948-79-00-11
Apartamentos de Montaña Mendiola: C. Elizaldea, 113 | A pie de Camino | 6 apart. | Reserva: 609-75-51-05 /
(6) Arnéguy
Otros alojamientos:
Hotel** Le Clementenia: Le bourg D933 (a pie de nacional) | 9 hab. | 38 € ind. / 55 € dob. | Reserva: 00-33-524-34-10-06 / Booking (link is external)

Gráfica de desnivel:
camino-frances-1.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OOPS! I just replied on another thread--this one may have been more appropriate. Seems that Orisson is quite popular--a month away from my Camino, and the Refuge is already booked full. So, it's all the way to Roncevalles for me...and lots of others. Does anyone know how far in advance to make a reservation at Orisson? Thanks!

Hi Winona
Have a good look at my previous post on this subject and also Margaret's
If you are not fit this early day could cause problems.
It has stopped many who eventually pull out at Pamplona.

An old friend of mine , 73 old , walked to Orisson , then got the taxi back to St JPdP
Got the taxi the next morning back to Orisson and then continued.
The taxi is not expensive.
It saved him .
Please have a look at the early post.

Hi
I sent a message on their online contact 1 day ago asking for a med and meal on the 12 May and received an email this morning with a paypal link which I paid. Easy. Perhaps you should send one again? Good luck

That's how it worked for me. Booked there for 23Sept.

I was able to book one bed at Orisson on September 17 - in my brief (French) correspondence I asked if there was anything available for the 17th or 18th. If you are dead set on staying there AND have some flexibility in dates that may be a good way of doing it. It took the manager a couple of days to get back to me, but it was a pretty straightforward process if you're used to Paypal. Of course, I assume the 35 euros is not refundable, so if the weather is not good the day you've reserved, you lose out on the money and the experience...
On the other hand, I haven't booked anything in St-Jean - I'd like to stay at the Beilari which apparently has a few walk-in spaces reserved and includes communal supper, but if not, I'll go to the auberge municipale and find supper somewhere else!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been trying to make a reservation for mid-May (2015) for several days now and have received no response of any kind. I have submitted my request via the comment section of their website as well as directly through their listed e-mail. I have written my request in French, Spanish, and English with no success. I tried phone as well, but my oral command of French is limited and my aural comprehension is worse. But he seemed to be saying "internet." I am getting the feeling that maybe they don't care much about advance reservations since they know they will dill up anyway. So I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to break up that first day's journey, and that has me worried.

I have been trying to make a reservation for mid-May (2015) for several days now and have received no response of any kind. .

I have made a booking for the 8th April

I sent my first email via the website at 19:00hrs (local) 1st March

Jean- Jacques responded at 19:00hrs (local) 4th March with details and advising he would send an invoice that could be paid with PayPal.

Invoice arrived by email 12:00hrs ( local ) 5th March and paid same day

1st March was a Sunday, booking completed by the following Thursday. I don't know how long you have been waiting, I don't know if he now thinks he has three different bookings for you? But I would encourage you to keep faith.

It may be slower than we are used to But it is quintessentially Camino.

I also booked with Orisson, for the end of September, 2015. From what I heard on this thread, I thought that I would have to confirm the day before. I asked Jean-Jacques and he replied that the only requirement currently is to book, pay and arrive before 6:30, the time of the evening meal. I am going to try to get there earlier. I am relieved not to have to call the day before, as I shall be in transit and travelling without a cell phone. I booked and paid on Feb. 20 for a bed in late September. I have kept all my correspondence and proof of payment and shall take it with me. It is a very popular place to spend the first night on the camino. Good luck to all of you in making your bookings.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also booked with Orisson, for the end of September, 2015. .

In the seven months Apr-Oct there are close to 4,000 bed nights, in the Alberque alone, one could imagine that the end of March is a very busy booking period -for the whole year, not to mention getting the alberque ready.

In the seven months Apr-Oct there are close to 4,000 bed nights, in the Alberque alone, one could imagine that the end of March is a very busy booking period -for the whole year, not to mention getting the alberque ready.
So true, I tried to point this out to someone else who was dissing Jean-Jacques several months ago, to no avail.
Besides I would suspect there is a certain amount of "brinksmanship" involved in the process dealing this the logistics of a high demand for certain date and waiting for one person to respond with a deposit before going on to the next request. There have to be lots of pilgrims dithering about which night they really want to reserve before hitting the "Paypal button." You just can't please everyone.

Last edited:
Besides I would suspect there is a certain amount of "brinksmanship" involved in the process dealing this the logistics of a high demand for certain date and waiting for one person to respond with a deposit before going on to the next request.

The more you think about the logistics the more crazy it gets . In addition to dithering by us, you have time zone issues, global language issues, the natural reticence in paying upfront for accommodation, and I bet a unique set of peaks and troughs in planning, correspondence, booking etc.

I guess our expectation is for a direct, automated online booking system, with the required language mix, available 24/7/365 with payment facility, that alerts pilgrims if a cancellation allows a space to become free, alerts sent based on a specific algorithm that contacts earliest enquirer first allowing them 24hrs to respond - or perhaps all enquirers at the same time - first come first served basis?

Not very Camino , more hotel than Alberque and my brain now hurts

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The more you think about the logistics the more crazy it gets . In addition to dithering by us, you have time zone issues, global language issues, the natural reticence in paying upfront for accommodation, and I bet a unique set of peaks and troughs in planning, correspondence, booking etc.

I guess our expectation is for a direct, automated online booking system, with the required language mix, available 24/7/365 with payment facility, that alerts pilgrims if a cancellation allows a space to become free, alerts sent based on a specific algorithm that contacts earliest enquirer first allowing them 24hrs to respond - or perhaps all enquirers at the same time - first come first served basis?

Not very Camino , more hotel than Alberque and my brain now hurts
Exactement!

I have made a booking for the 8th April

I sent my first email via the website at 19:00hrs (local) 1st March

Jean- Jacques responded at 19:00hrs (local) 4th March with details and advising he would send an invoice that could be paid with PayPal.

Invoice arrived by email 12:00hrs ( local ) 5th March and paid same day

1st March was a Sunday, booking completed by the following Thursday. I don't know how long you have been waiting, I don't know if he now thinks he has three different bookings for you? But I would encourage you to keep faith.

It may be slower than we are used to But it is quintessentially Camino.
Well, I am still hoping for a response, but am on pins and needles waiting. That taxi idea back to St. Jean sounds like a good idea. I am currently booked into a small hotel in Pamplona on May 14, my arrival date in Madrid. And then two nights at the Auberge du Pelerin in SJ (15th,16th). So I was hoping to get a spot at Orisson on the 17th. I really want to take the high road, but Valcarlos might have to do. I don't want to wreck my feet by attempting too much on the first day. My return flight is July 1st, so I have plenty of time to poke along. It's that first day that really worries me.

Well, I am still hoping for a response, but am on pins and needles waiting. That taxi idea back to St. Jean sounds like a good idea. I am currently booked into a small hotel in Pamplona on May 14, my arrival date in Madrid. And then two nights at the Auberge du Pelerin in SJ (15th,16th). So I was hoping to get a spot at Orisson on the 17th. I really want to take the high road, but Valcarlos might have to do. I don't want to wreck my feet by attempting too much on the first day. My return flight is July 1st, so I have plenty of time to poke along. It's that first day that really worries me.

Finally! Halleluja! I received confirmation this afternoon in French, which I do just fine with in written form. He said a link to Paypal will follow. In order to stay there, you have to be on foot, and you must arrive by 6:30PM (1830) or you will risk losing your place. So, I guess patience is the key word when dealing with them via contact form or e-mail.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back