• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations for Orrison

Diane Creber

My partner and I are from Canada and are planning to walk the Camino from SJPP to Santiago. We fly into Paris on March 28th, 2012 and will take the train to Bayonne and then train or bus to SJPP. We expect to arrive at SJPP on the night of March 28th. We are planning register the next morning and then walk to Orrison that day. (We expect to be jet lagged so we thought we should break up the first day and only go to Orrison). How do we make a reservation in advance at Orrison? Can we make the reservation from the Pilgrimage office that morning or should we do it sooner? If sooner, do you make the reservation by phone (there is a phone number in Brierley's book but do they speak English or should we email? Can someone give me the email address?
Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Strider

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is the link to the website: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/auberg ... ation.html

REservations are a must! I stayed there last spring. Like you, I got to SJPdP from Canada in the early evening and wlaked to Orisson the next day. After an entire day of travelling from Canada, the 8 km walk is plenty. It took me 2 and a half hour in the rain (dried off at Hunto) to get to Orisson. Spent the rest of the day relaxing and drinking coffee and wine while making friends. Goot times.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at Orisson last May. I used their website to make my reservation. They required me to pay in advance and used PayPal to do so.

Hello All,

Have emailed Orisson a number of times to day to make a reservation for 22 or 23 September but no response.

Anyone else out there have experience of how long it took for Orisson to get back re the reservation?

Blessings to all,

Francesca

Francescalignumvitae said:
Have emailed Orisson a number of times to day to make a reservation for 22 or 23 September but no response.
They are usually fairly quick, but where do you live? Their time zone might mean they are busy or sleeping....
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Keep trying - and you might call. It took me several emails, both from the contact form on the website and from a direct email. Finally 2 weeks ago or so, I got a response, and directions to send half the night's fee via Paypal. We'll be there the night of the 15th. Yay! Now I just have to see if L'Esprit du Chemin can change our reservation from the 15th to the 14th....

Greetings All,

I live in the UK:

Called Orisson in the moring, was told to call back around noon to speak to someone in English and then the chap rang off quickly. Needing to run errands at that time, I rang right back and in adequate but rought French asked to make the reservation. Was told to call the mobile (i.e. a different) number later.

In the afternoon rang back on the mobile and spoke to a woman (in French and English) who told me to send an email and gave me the address. Sent the email--no response-- and again that evening--no response.

Will try all the above again, but feeling slightly offkeel at the moment! Suggestions??

Blessings to all,

Francesca

Francesca, I'd say just be persistent. This is a super busy time in SJPP, Orisson, and Roncesvalles, and there is a very small staff at Orisson. They are probably just tied up with the daily/nightly stream of pilgrims coming through. Don't give up!

If you aren't successful with email, you can ask the pilgrim's office in SJPP to call them directly when you arrive there. They will have French speakers who can handle the booking. And if the Orisson dorms are full, don't hesitate to reserve a bed in a tent (you may want to indicate in your email if you are open to this option). They are quiet cosy, and they will pair you with another woman.

Then as a last resort, there are a couple other options coming out of SJPP - Hunto and a new gite, Kayola.

Nancy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings All,

Hello Nancy,

As things usually happen (for me at least), just when I started to wind myself up about not hearing from Orisson and letting my head lead the way rather than my heart/spirit, had to work away for a week (and away from my computer/email) and came back to a reply from Orisson.

And to your post of course! Thank you for taking the time to reply (and others ) and hopefully those who read this thread this year/next etc. will LISTEN to what you and others have said: it just takes time for Orisson to get back to each person/would be pilgrim. Trust and 'let it be' . . .

Am staying in Orisson the 23rd of September and will look forward to meeting up with others there and along the way,

Blessings to all,

Francesca

Francesca, one final note: be sure to re-confirm your reservation at Orisson. You can do it by email before you leave home, but the best way is to have the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP call for you when you arrive there, which will (likely) be the day before you start your walk.

Have a fantastic time!

Nancy

Greetings All

Hello Nancy,

Thank you for adding this tip--it is a small thing--but good to know/do and will just make sure all is well.

Bless you!

Blessings to All,

Francesca

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can someone post their email address? Looks like they removed it from their website.

Hello All,

Anyone else out there have experience of how long it took for Orisson to get back re the reservation?

Blessings to all,

Francesca
Sent 4 emails and tried to call twice....number has been changed or is no longer in service! Now I am getting panicy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sent 4 emails and tried to call twice....number has been changed or is no longer in service! Now I am getting panicy!

It took them 8 days to respond to my email and that was before the busy season. Be patient or be persistent. Good luck!

It took them 8 days to respond to my email and that was before the busy season. Be patient or be persistent. Good luck!
This was my experience also Coleen when booking for Sept. 18th for 3 walkers. It took about 5 days to get it booked. I tried calling them but they only take email reservations.

I leave Canada tomorrow and arrive in Paris Friday via Minneapolis/New York. 'Hop' flight then to Biarritz, bus to Barrone, train to SJPP. I plan to go to Pilgrim Office to book Orisson for Saturday night (hoping there may be some Irish Festivities there for St. Patty's Day) and on to Roncevalles on Sunday. Looking forward to meeting/walking/eating and drinking with fellow pilgrims!!
NancyLee

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back