• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reservations for Roncesvalles

cesleeth

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 and 2012
We're starting the Camino in June and after reading various threads, I'm wondering if you have to or even can make reservations for the albergue in Roncevalles? I didn't think you could reserve at the public albergues. Last time I did the camino in 2012 that was the case. Have things changed?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, and welcome to the forum! As another thread pointed out, there are no clear and consistent "rules" about albergue reservations, but many more take reservations now than they did a few years ago. Roncesvalles does, through this website, and many people would advise it for June. Do a forum search by entering "Roncesvalles reserve" in the Search field at the top right. (But be sure to spell Roncesvalles with the "s" in the middle. ;))

My understanding of the Roncesvalles situation is that they have reduced the number of available beds and have started taking reservations. They still keep a number of unreserved beds though I am assuming those beds will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. Fine for those who expect to arrive early but not for those arriving later. Booking is good for peace of mind.
Buen camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome aboard, your first post! My vote is for YES on making a reservation. "Booking is good for peace of mind" so said our shipmate Heda, and I concur. Note, if you scroll down, you will see a couple of "similar threads" with good information on the same subject. Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hola : To book or not to book - that is the question. From my limited experience the available accommodation between St Jean and Pamplona, in peek season (and June is almost peek season) supports the recommendation of booking. From Pamplona onwards you can adjust your days walking distance and take what accommodation comes your way. Good luck and Buen Camino!!

We started the Camino Frances on 26 June 2017 and I was able to book the main albergue in Roncesvalles 4 months before. With 5 of us travelling together it was essential. When we arrived the dorm was absolutely packed. So booking is essential, no optional

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I too am starting June (early) and did book online for a bed and a dinner time slot for the albergue in Roncevalles. I had posted on another thread for advice on whether i needed to book albergues or not and got many different responses. I chose to book SJPDP as I’m there two nights, Roncevalles because I have no idea how long that first day will take me, Logrono, Carrión de los Condes, Ponferrada and Santiago as I’m planning rest days/2 night stays. The rest I shall wing and hope for the best!

I arrived at Roncesvalles on 26 April 2017 at around 16:30 and I was one of the last people to get a bed! They put us in the old part of the building (where I had first stayed in 2001 with only about 30 other people!) and soon Roncesvalles was completely full! I spoke to someone a few days later who had had to walk on to Burguete and he said that even Burguete had completely filled up and another pilgrim had to take a taxi to another village to find lodging for the night. I know that might sound crazy but that's what he told me. I don't know why there were so many people on the Camino at that time of year. If you can make reservations, by all means do so. I never have and yes, I have had problems finding lodging on occasion. :)

I arrived at Roncesvalles on 26 April 2017 at around 16:30 and I was one of the last people to get a bed! They put us in the old part of the building (where I had first stayed in 2001 with only about 30 other people!) and soon Roncesvalles was completely full! I spoke to someone a few days later who had had to walk on to Burguete and he said that even Burguete had completely filled up and another pilgrim had to take a taxi to another village to find lodging for the night. I know that might sound crazy but that's what he told me. I don't know why there were so many people on the Camino at that time of year. If you can make reservations, by all means do so. I never have and yes, I have had problems finding lodging on occasion. :)
Sometimes I think it’s just the luck of the draw. There could be tour or school groups. I truly didn’t want to book but chickened out because I am yet to know what to expect.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I too am starting June (early) and did book online for a bed and a dinner time slot for the albergue in Roncevalles. I had posted on another thread for advice on whether i needed to book albergues or not and got many different responses. I chose to book SJPDP as I’m there two nights, Roncevalles because I have no idea how long that first day will take me, Logrono, Carrión de los Condes, Ponferrada and Santiago as I’m planning rest days/2 night stays. The rest I shall wing and hope for the best!

I would not advise booking very long in advance, with the clear exception of SJPP (because if you start there, then the nights you'll be there are 100% predictable, and it's often very crowded there too) and the possible exception of Roncesvalles, as by booking far in advance for locations down the road, you may unwittingly lock yourself into a certain pace for the Way which might very well not correspond to a more natural pace developed over the first days and weeks.

So you might end up even "breaking" the continuous walk that's the ideal from a self-imposed need to maybe grab a bus or taxi, when that might otherwise have been unnecessary.

I'm not personally keen on the idea of booking ahead at all, but for those who prefer to do so -- and for some people it might be a real necessity -- my impression from the experiences and practice of others is that it's really only in the most extreme crowded conditions that booking more than 24H in advance might be a useful tactic (and usually a call in the morning of the same day is sufficient) ; unless you're part of one of the larger groups or "Camino families" walking together and so needing to ensure multiple reservations simultaneously.

I would not advise booking very long in advance, with the clear exception of SJPP (because if you start there, then the nights you'll be there are 100% predictable, and it's often very crowded there too) and the possible exception of Roncesvalles, as by booking far in advance for locations down the road, you may unwittingly lock yourself into a certain pace for the Way which might very well not correspond to a more natural pace developed over the first days and weeks.

So you might end up even "breaking" the continuous walk that's the ideal from a self-imposed need to maybe grab a bus or taxi, when that might otherwise have been unnecessary.

I'm not personally keen on the idea of booking ahead at all, but for those who prefer to do so -- and for some people it might be a real necessity -- my impression from the experiences and practice of others is that it's really only in the most extreme crowded conditions that booking more than 24H in advance might be a useful tactic (and usually a call in the morning of the same day is sufficient) ; unless you're part of one of the larger groups or "Camino families" walking together and so needing to ensure multiple reservations simultaneously.
Yes I agree, but decided to book the places I’m staying 2 nights in. They can be cancelled up to 24hrs before hand in case the Camino has other plans for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am walking the first month alone, then my husband and two friends are joining me at O’Cebreiro. They are flying out that day and then have to take buses, so won’t arrive until evening. Will I be able to reserve beds for the 3 of them when I arrive early afternoon (Camino willing), or would it make more ease to book ahead for all 4 of us and then explain the other three are coming later?

We're starting the Camino in June and after reading various threads, I'm wondering if you have to or even can make reservations for the albergue in Roncevalles? I didn't think you could reserve at the public albergues. Last time I did the camino in 2012 that was the case. Have things changed?

Welcome Cesleeth,

One thing that was a real pain at Roncesvalles after a hard day's walking was the time it took to sign in. Does anyone know if booking ahead saves you this ordeal? If so I'd be tempted to book ahead just for that.

As for the need to book, it really depends on what time you plan on getting there. If you're going to arrive at lunchtime you'll almost certainly be fine, after 3pm things may be a bit more risky.

Last edited:
I was there on the 5th May 2017 and was so glad I had booked as it was full and turning pilgrims away and yes had to wait a fair bit to get signed in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
. . . One thing that was a real pain at Roncesvalles after a hard day's walking was the time it took to sign in. Does anyone know if booking ahead saves you this ordeal? If so I'd be tempted to book ahead just for that . . .
I had reservation for Roncesvalles, and of all my albergues/hostales this was the one with the longest check in process, possibly because this is the start of the camino for a large number of caminantes and the hospitaleros do collect all kind of data. Overall, outstanding work by part of the hospitaleros at Roncesvalles. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

If you will feel more at ease just starting out, then do make a reservation. If you are ok with walking an hour or more further if all the beds are taken .....

I was very glad to have made a reservation. The weather was wet, windy and cold. The trail was muddy and slippery. Took us a long time to get over the mountain.

I am walking the first month alone, then my husband and two friends are joining me at O’Cebreiro. They are flying out that day and then have to take buses, so won’t arrive until evening. Will I be able to reserve beds for the 3 of them when I arrive early afternoon (Camino willing), or would it make more ease to book ahead for all 4 of us and then explain the other three are coming later?

Hi, the albergue in O'Cebreiro is a municipal one and does not take reservations. It is a first-come-first-served albergue.

If the other 3 are not arriving until evening, the 4 of you would perhaps be better off reserving a hostel/hotel/casa rural for that night, in advance. Check Gronze for what's available in O'Cebreiro:
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/cebreiro/triacastela

Note that you can book the private albergue in Linares, which is about 3kms after O'Cebreiro, and an easy walk. I have stayed there and can recommend it. There is a shop / bar / restaurant across the road.
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

there is also a small private albergue in o cebreiro that you can book. but if you are four and are comfortable sharing a quadruple room, perhaps a more elegant solution is to book a hostal or hotel. this would also eliminate the need for explanations about arrival times, I suppose.

I just want to know, will it also be necessary to book in Roncesvalles in start august?

given the amount of pilgrims that will probably be on the trail, starting not only from sjpp but also from roncesvalles itself (august is a holiday month in spain), and the limited number of beds I would advise to do so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back