• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations for Santiago

papajohn

I am arriving in SdeC on Sunday Oct 1, then taking the bus to O'Cebriero on Mon morning. Question, are there enough inexpensive hostals in SdeC to wait until arrival the secure a room for the night, or do I need to make an online reservation with a larger hotel. My spanish is not sufficient to make an international phone reservation. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks and buen camino to all. John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi John,

I think you should be able to find something from Sunday to Monday without a reservation, if the inexpensive places will have rooms is hard to say. Have a look at these links, and if you find a place you like with a decent price you could always book it. If not, I am pretty sure you will find a room here without a reservation, but I am not sure what price you would have to pay.

1) Here you have a list of some (not sure if the list is complete) of the hostels in Santiago:
http://www.santiago-today.com/hotels/ho ... l_star.cfm
... many times you can contact these places and book via e-mail in English (don't send you credit card number via e-mail, that is not secure, but many times they do not ask for it for a reservation.)

2) Here is a list of hotels that can be booked online:
http://www.bookings.org/city/es/santiag ... aid=306118

I hope this helps,
Ivar

Ivar, thanks for your info. I think my concerns are part of the letting go process of not having to be in control of every aspect this experience. I don't want to let go, but I know that it is what I need to do. John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi John

We have just returned from a fantastic Camino and can recommend Hostel Girasol in the old town: a clean, comfortable place in Puerta Pena: convenient for the bus station (and # 5 bus stop nearby). We paid 39 Euros for a double room and 3 Euros for breakfast. They have a bar/cafe downstairs.
http://www.hgirasol.com/wellcome.htm
Our bookings were entirely by email and their English was great ineira@hgirasol.com

When you get to O Cebreiro, be prepared to sleep on the floor at the Albergue if you arrive too late. They normally open their doors at 1pm. Once we had walked up from Piedrafita (it took an hour up the road), we weren't in till 5.20pm and all the beds were taken. All part of the adventure.
Buen Camino!
Simon

That's interesting - I also stayed at Hostal Girasol earlier this year and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Great value, delicious food and friendly, helpful staff (not to mention being located very close to the heart of the city).

However, I didn't find their English that great. I tried to make a phone reservation but got stuck. I had enough Spanish to get their email address and finished off by email (sending my message in both Spanish and English).

Don't let that put you off though - I still think it was a brilliant find and would definitely want to stay there again if visiting Santiago.

Wulf

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
:oops: I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me! I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Best wishes.

Wulf

ps. I also ate in for the evening I stayed; €9 for the menu del día, including a generous quantity of wine (3/4 bottle!)

If this post isn't too late, I'd recommend the Meiga Backpackers Hostel. It's a small hostel about 5 minutes walk from the Cathedral. A twin private room is about 18euros per night or you can do a dorm for up to 6 people for 16euros per night. I've stayed there twice now, and am planning on staying there again this december. It's clean and not crowded, and a small breakfast is included in the price. You can search for it at hostels.com.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.