• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations in Orission

Ann E Flynn

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2015 Camino Frances
(Sept-Oct 2017 La Puy to SJPP)
I am late in deciding I want to stay overnight in Orission next week. I have contacted them through their website, called them and sent them an email from my home address. No reply. Any suggestions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am late in deciding I want to stay overnight in Orission next week. I have contacted them through their website, called them and sent them an email from my home address. No reply. Any suggestions
Yes, call them. If the person who answers doesn't speak English, they will get someone who does:
Phone: 00 33 559491303
Mobile : 00 33 681497956

Something also to keep in mind when calling - and apologies if this is stating the blindingly obvious but it's just the sort of thing I would forget - check the time difference between you and France, and make sure you're not calling in the middle of the night or at a time when they might be extra busy (eg possibly not calling around their dinner time or early in the morning when people are leaving). Much easier if you can talk to a person rather than leaving a message, although I am sure they pick up messages too. Also this is a very busy time of year for them, maybe the busiest - it's possible they are already booked up for next week.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I sent an email to them about a month ago, and it took almost a week for them to get back to me. Don't lose hope about hearing from them - it just might take another day or two -- or three... Good luck! and Buen Camino!
Terry

I called today. They only take phone reservations 1 or 2 days ahead. The gentleman stated it takes 2 to 3 days for a response to emails. I send my first email on Tuesday so hope to hear back tomorrow. If not I'll try again when I arrive at SJPP and if no luck, plan for a longer first day. Let the Camino begin!

I called today. They only take phone reservations 1 or 2 days ahead. The gentleman stated it takes 2 to 3 days for a response to emails. I send my first email on Tuesday so hope to hear back tomorrow. If not I'll try again when I arrive at SJPP and if no luck, plan for a longer first day. Let the Camino begin!
If Orisson is full, you might want to consider the leisurely walk on the lower route with a first stop in Valcarlos, 9 km from SJPdP (e.g. staying at the lovely Casa Rural Etxezuria http://www.casasruralesnavarra.com/casas-rurales-valcarlos/etxezuria-1.html), then on to Burguete. In high season (now) you'll avoid the big crowed obsessed to "follow the sheep" :)
Buen camino

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is also Hunto to consider.....a few km before Orisson

sometimes in Orisson there too busy to pick up the phone. lunch times etc. with loads of pilgrims wandering in looking for something to eat, just keep hitting the redial button.........

There are many albergues in SJPP where you can spend a second night.
Walk up to Orisson and taxi (or walk) back down to SJPP.
Then next morning taxi back UP to Orisson and continue walking.
We do it every year.

Hi Ann, some people already stated a solution.
Hope you still can stay overnight in Orission albergue.
I had a answer from them in 2 day's.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much for sharing.

My impression with the couple who runs the Orisson albergue is not positive. Best is to rest up in StJPdeP, and make it all the way to Roncesv. To me these two are very materialistic, and if you hadn't booked by now, it's problaby full, and they don't care to reply, as it not in their interest or time It was on my first camino, back in '12, and I had started in Lourdes, had made a reservation at Orisson thinking I wouldn't be able to make the climb. But by the time I arrived there late morning of my 7th day, I was in shape and thinking of going on, but the thought of losing the 32Euros, was a factor. While resting up for an hour, a elderly couple withthier daughter had just started from StJean, and were litteraly "beat" after the first 8-9km. So thy asked if there was any room "at the Inn". All full they said. There were three of us who had booked, and were willing to give up our place, just exchange money. But the owners said NO ! Can't do that.
Why, the reservation is in your names, can't change it. The couple with the daughter were OK with us exchanging money, but not the owners. Later we overheard the owners said "Sometimes some people/reservation don't show up, so places might open up" The owners were thinking of the three of us, thinking we would just continue on, so they could earn double the money for the same place. The couple with the daughter, waited til 4:00pm ,as instructed by the owners, then took a taxi back to StJean, and returnd the nxt morning. The three of us, would not give the owners the satisfaction of "double-dipping" , so we stayed. That's my story of the Camino Frances, after that and for the vast most of all the other caminos, no problem with other albergues. So just pass it by! Have an over-priced lunch there, but give it a skip.
Others do it. There's a lot more enjoyable places to see, outside of these materialistic- scavengers of peregrinos. I've told many to avoid this place, for that reason alone, and also 2 other places only.
take care

Hi Ann - when I went two years ago it was without much of a time frame for planning. I called them and was told they were full, but she said call back two days before I want to stay, as they get cancellations. I did that just before flying over, she said they had space, only took my first name. I was a bit apprehensive, but upon arriving, she had my name and a bed for me. I was very glad I stayed there, had a great time and a very positive experience dealing with them. Just keep trying to get through, they have to be very busy right now. Yesterday I sowed the seeds in my husband's head about us both going next September. Fingers crossed! We will definitely stay there. And buen camino - Cherry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ann - when I went two years ago it was without much of a time frame for planning. I called them and was told they were full, but she said call back two days before I want to stay, as they get cancellations. I did that just before flying over, she said they had space, only took my first name. I was a bit apprehensive, but upon arriving, she had my name and a bed for me. I was very glad I stayed there, had a great time and a very positive experience dealing with them. Just keep trying to get through, they have to be very busy right now. Yesterday I sowed the seeds in my husband's head about us both going next September. Fingers crossed! We will definitely stay there. And buen camino - Cherry

I'm in St. Jean right now. Orrison was full, so I walked up there (leaving my backpack at my abergue). I had lunch and the young man there brought me back to St. Jean. Tomorrow he will pick me up and I'll start my walk to Roncesvalles from Orrison. I love the way things just happen to work out. I don't know what I would have done with all those hours in Orrison.

My impression with the couple who runs the Orisson albergue is not positive. Best is to rest up in StJPdeP, and make it all the way to Roncesv. To me these two are very materialistic, and if you hadn't booked by now, it's problaby full, and they don't care to reply, as it not in their interest or time It was on my first camino, back in '12, and I had started in Lourdes, had made a reservation at Orisson thinking I wouldn't be able to make the climb. But by the time I arrived there late morning of my 7th day, I was in shape and thinking of going on, but the thought of losing the 32Euros, was a factor. While resting up for an hour, a elderly couple withthier daughter had just started from StJean, and were litteraly "beat" after the first 8-9km. So thy asked if there was any room "at the Inn". All full they said. There were three of us who had booked, and were willing to give up our place, just exchange money. But the owners said NO ! Can't do that.
Why, the reservation is in your names, can't change it. The couple with the daughter were OK with us exchanging money, but not the owners. Later we overheard the owners said "Sometimes some people/reservation don't show up, so places might open up" The owners were thinking of the three of us, thinking we would just continue on, so they could earn double the money for the same place. The couple with the daughter, waited til 4:00pm ,as instructed by the owners, then took a taxi back to StJean, and returnd the nxt morning. The three of us, would not give the owners the satisfaction of "double-dipping" , so we stayed. That's my story of the Camino Frances, after that and for the vast most of all the other caminos, no problem with other albergues. So just pass it by! Have an over-priced lunch there, but give it a skip.
Others do it. There's a lot more enjoyable places to see, outside of these materialistic- scavengers of peregrinos. I've told many to avoid this place, for that reason alone, and also 2 other places only.
take care

stayed once ...stopped for coffee many times,with less able walkers en route ..as mentioned can confirm all of the above ....also with reservations ,if you do not arrive by I think its 17:00 pm you could lose your bed regardless if you paid and they will give to anyone passing who decide they want a bed last minute and charge again. I heard the lady discuss this with the man there

if you lagging behind either ring ahead to say we are on our way or ask faster walkers to kindly inform them as they pass or better still if they are staying all the better...

business is business......

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lessons of the camino begin before you begin. I received an email this evening from the alberque. They had space for me and I have sent them payment. I was fully prepared to make other arrangements but what a wonderful surprise to get their response 1 day before my departure. This was meant to be!

I'm in St. Jean right now. Orrison was full, so I walked up there (leaving my backpack at my abergue). I had lunch and the young man there brought me back to St. Jean. Tomorrow he will pick me up and I'll start my walk to Roncesvalles from Orrison. I love the way things just happen to work out. I don't know what I would have done with all those hours in Orrison.
Hi Bonita, good for you that you enjoy it the way you did.
Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Lessons of the camino begin before you begin. I received an email this evening from the alberque. They had space for me and I have sent them payment. I was fully prepared to make other arrangements but what a wonderful surprise to get their response 1 day before my departure. This was meant to be!
Hi Ann, glad everything worked out.
Wish you a wonderful stay at the albergue Orisson and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back