Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Reservations in public albergues in Galicia

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Kanga

Staff member
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I never used to reserve but it makes sense now, with hosts having to make adjustments for numbers.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ivar,
I see on the list that many of the albergues are listed as “open.” Do you know if this is a current list? I was under the impression that they were all closed, so that is a very hopeful sign.

I wonder if “after covid” we will return to the pre-pandemic system prohibiting reservations in municipal albergues. If not, it will cause a major change in the habits of many pilgrims. How to maintain spontaneity if the public albergues are all booked out in advance?

dick bird

Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles
If albergues are limited to 30%, they'll have to operate on a reservation system. You could still try turning up without a reservation, of course. It also means that you can find out if an albergue is full before you get there (rather than when you arrive exhausted after a 30+ km hike). But all this is academic for now as most of us can't even leave our own countries yet. The good news is that things seem to be moving in the right direction. Fingers crossed for 2022.

Incidentally, who made the no reservation rule? In fact, who makes any of the rules for albergues?

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Ivar,
I see on the list that many of the albergues are listed as “open.” Do you know if this is a current list? I was under the impression that they were all closed, so that is a very hopeful sign.

I wonder if “after covid” we will return to the pre-pandemic system prohibiting reservations in municipal albergues. If not, it will cause a major change in the habits of many pilgrims. How to maint. spontaneity if the public albergues are all booked out in
Now, I admit that I was never a bunk bed person...except out of desperation ( Orisson). I do not think , I will ever again sleep with strangers in a room. What does “after Covid” really mean? Physically, and mentally?

Last edited:

NicP

Via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago 2016; Camino Frances May 2020 - postponed by COVID
I wonder if “after covid” we will return to the pre-pandemic system prohibiting reservations in municipal albergues. If not, it will cause a major change in the habits of many pilgrims. How to maintain spontaneity if the public albergues are all booked out in advance?
Great question- I’d prefer the spontaneity of not booking, but if i had to choose between that and a high risk of no bed.... I think I’d rather sleep in a bed. It’ll be interesting to see how this settles over the next 6-12 months....

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads