• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations n other Questions

Anniew

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
I am arriving in Biarritz on 18 April and expect to be staying in Beilari in SJPP (When I get a reply to my email!!) I realise they are on down time now after the season. I have already received a confirmation and paid for Orisson for 19 April. 36 euro for dinner b n b. All I am concerned about is what to do if napoleon route closed when I ask at Pilgrims Office on 19th? I guess I ring Orrison and cancel but then have I lost my payment?

I am a little worried about snow in April as in Ireland, particularly around Dublin where I live, don't see much snow! Is the Valcarlos route difficult if snow?

I have got my Meindel boots one size larger and broad foot and delighted with the comfort. Walked 15 k n up 750 mars yesterday on training trip with sock n liner n felt like a gloverigr

I have a 35 l pack and again am up to 4 kegs now and it feels good

Have a lightweight aleeping bag. But I cannot find permethrin here in Ireland to sprai some suit lining as an anti bug under sheet and for my pack. Is it worth buying a ready sprayed under sheet and pillow case from amazon. The idea of bug gets me as I have an allergic reaction to any of those bites and come up in big lumps which can get infected! If any uk or Irish reader knows where I can get permethrin I would be grateful to know

Another question, I can't decide between a wallet which hangs around neck for money, cards, passport, credential etc or a waist fanny pack?

I am training using normal,poles but am finding them not so comfortable on my hands as I have a little arthritis I. The thumb and fingers. I am inclined to push down with hand centre on top of pole when coming down hill. Not good. I have been reading up on Pacer poles and they sound very interesting. Particularly with free postage world wide and 4 weeks to free return and money back. Any thoughts from all you experienced hikers?

I have been dreaming about this for so long that I can't believe I am actually booked. I would have preferred sept oct but domestic circumstances dictate April may. I have set aside 6 weeks and I tend to break up some of the longer stretches and take rest days in small pensions.
I have been reading your wonderful forum for quite some time now and really appreciate the patience and knowledge of all you guys!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can only respond to two of your questions.
The weather that time of year is totally unpredictable and if there is heavy snow there should be vehicular alternatives available for getting over the mountains. I am reasonably sure Orrison work with pilgrims who can't arrive due to snow. I'm sure someone else will chime in to that question.
As far as the wallet around the neck, I have often mentioned the pilgrim I met who stayed at the albergue in Cizur Menor who claimed his was cut off from his neck late at night while he was sleeping. I keep my valuables in a small ziplock bag in my front pocket and sleep with them at night. Others will tell you to keep the fanny pack with you 24/7 and sleep with it at the bottom of your sleeping sack.

I saw permethrin spray in the pilgrim shop across the street from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP. Using DEET on your skin (the areas outside your sleeping bag) is likely the best way to avoid being bitten by bedbugs. The best way to avoid transporting them is to put your backpack into a large airtight bag while you are in the albergue, and to put your sleeping things into an airtight bag inside your backpack during the day. If bites show up the next day, your priority is to put the isolated bag of sleeping things into a hot dryer.

Except for the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles, I wouldn't expect to see snow in the mid-April to May period. By the time you get to the next points of high elevation it will be May.

Regarding a "neck wallet" I find it more comfortable to wear diagonally across my chest/shoulder. I can't imagine it being cut off and stolen unless I were sleeping fully exposed with it dangling off my body! My preference, though, is to use a diaper pin and fasten the pouch to the inside of my trousers/pants waistband. That is also a good way to separate your valuables into 2 stashes.

Something sounds wrong about the way you are using your poles. Are they too short? Do you use the wrist straps? Check your technique on YouTube.

It seems that you are well on your way with preparations! Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't decide between a wallet which hangs around neck for money, cards, passport, credential etc or a waist fanny pack

A 'fanny pack' (bum-bag in the vernacular) is visible and informs the viewer that this is where your valuables are. You may or may not wish to share that information. Anything that hangs around your neck (and under your outer clothing!) may or may not be an irritant depending on design. Any decent retailer will let you check where the strap / cord sits in relation to your outer clothing and pack.

I scatter my valuables - money & passport in a 'money-belt' fitted to sit above my hips to avoid chafing from the hip-belt on my 'pack. Credit Card, copy passport and a small cash stash in the 'concealed' pocket of my trousers (pants). Small change and a useful value of folding cash, say €50 maximum in accessible zipped pockets of my trousers / jacket / top-front shirt pocket. €10 -20 in an open pocket so if I get mugged I have something to hand over.

This has been my standard practice for all my travels. I brought it to the Camino not because I thought the Camino was a dangerous place but because I saw no reason to take fewer precautions than I would anywhere else under any other circumstance.

If any uk or Irish reader knows where I can get permethrin I would be grateful to know

Try Google, there seem to be quite a few sources including, of course Amazon (tm) distributing within the EU/EC and therefore accessible without any problem. Or try your local Farm Store / Veterinary provider.

Thanks guys for your helpful advice. Fingers crossed not snowed in on napoleon. Good point re bum bag looking a bit obvious perhaps. Yes, I guess I'll need to check out using my normal poles walking method before changing. I sure am getting excited now. Building up all my bits and pieces I. Spare room and weighing individually so I can make choices re total weight and which items are essential. Some excellent suggested lists of what to take here

Is there a thread somewhere suggesting useful apps to have? I am thinking of taking a battery extender for my iPhone and will hopefully get a SIM card in Pamplona. Has anyone experience of buying a SIM card on line for specific European countries like Spain? My phone is unlocked

I carried my money/passport in a "fanny pack" that could clip around my waist under my clothes. Most of the time I kept it in the pocket of my cargo shorts while I was walking and it was secure and convenient. I LOVE my pacer poles. Can't imagine using anything else. I recommend the app: Wise Pilgrim. Shows where you are on the map as you walk, has info about lodging in towns you will be arriving in and will connect you with Booking.com to reserve, should you choose. Easy to use.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am training using normal,poles but am finding them not so comfortable on my hands as I have a little arthritis I. The thumb and fingers. I am inclined to push down with hand centre on top of pole when coming down hill. Not good. I have been reading up on Pacer poles and they sound very interesting. Particularly with free postage world wide and 4 weeks to free return and money back. Any thoughts from all you experienced hikers?
The downhill technique you describe is not one that I would recommend. I find it easier to lengthen the pole and retain the normal grip. You would have to adjust the pole length on Pacer poles if you didn't want to bend forward going downhill, so I don't see them being beneficial for that reason. However, in the past when this topic has come up, members who do suffer from arthritis claim Pacer poles are much easier for them to manage than conventional poles. In those circumstances, it may well be a good option to explore.

ps - don't let any of the Pacer pole aficionados know that I have recommended them - in quite specific circumstances. They will think I have finally gone soft in the head!

The downhill technique you describe is not one that I would recommend. I find it easier to lengthen the pole and retain the normal grip. You would have to adjust the pole length on Pacer poles if you didn't want to bend forward going downhill, so I don't see them being beneficial for that reason. However, in the past when this topic has come up, members who do suffer from arthritis claim Pacer poles are much easier for them to manage than conventional poles. In those circumstances, it may well be a good option to explore.

ps - don't let any of the Pacer pole aficionados know that I have recommended them - in quite specific circumstances. They will think I have finally gone soft in the head!
Hi Dougfitz
Why the anti bias re these poles? I read on their web site that they couldn't get any of the big conventional pole cmanufacturers interested because once people began using them they would never return to conventional poles!!!!

Why the anti bias re these poles?
I'm not biased against them, but I am prepared to suggest that those who promote them generally do so with little understanding of the alternatives, that their benefits are overstated and their limitations all but ignored.

I read on their web site that they couldn't get any of the big conventional pole cmanufacturers interested because once people began using them they would never return to conventional poles!!!!
Well, what would you expect them to say. All I can say is that I have tried them, and I have no intention of replacing my conventional poles with Pacer poles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I keep my neck wallet with my credential, passport, credit card, ID and major money around my neck 24/7 except when I am in the shower, where it is hanging right in front of me within eye shot. I keep my daily cash, my camera, a pen, kleenex and a few other things in my fanny pack on my 24/7 too, except in the shower, in a plastic bag hung high within eye shot. When I sleep it is still around my waist connected but loose. I am usually a side sleeper so I curl up facing the wall or away from a bunkie if there are two bunks together and have the fanny pack curled right into me. I hike wearing Macabi skirts so I can also zip things into its generous pockets!

I am arriving in Biarritz on 18 April and expect to be staying in Beilari in SJPP (When I get a reply to my email!!) I realise they are on down time now after the season. I have already received a confirmation and paid for Orisson for 19 April. 36 euro for dinner b n b. All I am concerned about is what to do if napoleon route closed when I ask at Pilgrims Office on 19th? I guess I ring Orrison and cancel but then have I lost my payment?

I am a little worried about snow in April as in Ireland, particularly around Dublin where I live, don't see much snow! Is the Valcarlos route difficult if snow?

I have got my Meindel boots one size larger and broad foot and delighted with the comfort. Walked 15 k n up 750 mars yesterday on training trip with sock n liner n felt like a gloverigr

I have a 35 l pack and again am up to 4 kegs now and it feels good

Have a lightweight aleeping bag. But I cannot find permethrin here in Ireland to sprai some suit lining as an anti bug under sheet and for my pack. Is it worth buying a ready sprayed under sheet and pillow case from amazon. The idea of bug gets me as I have an allergic reaction to any of those bites and come up in big lumps which can get infected! If any uk or Irish reader knows where I can get permethrin I would be grateful to know

Another question, I can't decide between a wallet which hangs around neck for money, cards, passport, credential etc or a waist fanny pack?

I have been dreaming about this for so long that I can't believe I am actually booked. I would have preferred sept oct but domestic circumstances dictate April may. I have set aside 6 weeks and I tend to break up some of the longer stretches and take rest days in small pensions.
I have been reading your wonderful forum for quite some time now and really appreciate the patience and knowledge of all you guys!!
We dont get much snow in Belfast either but that was the least of my worries. If there is too much snow the pilgrim office will advise you on what to do. When I crossed the Pyrenees in April 2015 there was still snow on the ground in places on the Spanish side of the border but it was not a problem. The biting cold wind was what really got to me. The only time I used my sunglasses to keep the wind out of my eyes. A good buff looked after the rest of my head.
Permethrin you will not find in Ireland, but in April, forget it. Very highly unlikely you will encounter bed bugs at that time of year. Even this year in the extremely hot first few weeks of September I never encountered any.
Orisson as far as I know will refund your money but compared to what you are going to spend, its not a big loss. I dont know how true this is but have been told Orisson will bus you to Valcarlos if the weather turns foul overnight.
Watch out for Lidl selling walking poles in the New Year. I have used them on all three caminos now and find them most comfortable. They have cork rather than rubber handles.
As for the waist bag, it got in the way for me. I have a large travel wallet that fits nicely in my cargo pants pocket. However, I dont like all my eggs in one basket so I have a shoulder holster style wallet under my shirt for half my money. And dont bother with a passport. Get the new Irish credit card passport (download the app from the passport office) although double check with Aer Lingus, the only airline to give me grief over it. Isn't that a blast. Easy Jet, Ryanair, English and Spanish immigration no problem but good old Aer Lingus, the Irish national carrier had not updated their computer system to accept an Irish passport number starting with 'C'
Hope that has been of some help and finally, get in touch with the Irish Camino Society and buy one of their credencials, best credencials on the camino. Head up to St James church by the Guinness Store House and get your first stamp. If the office is closed, knock on the door facing the office and the people there have the stamp too. Then round to reception in the Storehouse for your second one. If they have found their misplaced 'St James's Gate' stamp then you get a third. Sometime between 2015 and July 2016 they lost that stamp but ask for it anyway. Buen Camino

FullSizeRender 5.jpg To add a couple of items to the already mentioned:
1) I have walked in the fall and the spring. In the fall many of the pilgrims encountered bed bugs, in the spring we didn't see any. I am not an expert on bedbugs but have heard that there are less in cold weather and that was our experience.
2) Try Pacer Poles.... I wouldn't be caught without them.
3) Although we all know that weather is unpredictable, I can tell you that last year there was a lot of snow early in April in the Pyrenees and we walked in a blizzard over Cruz de Fero on May 12th. The spring is beautiful but do prepare for some cold weather.
4) Don't sweat the Orisson issue. You may not know whether you can cross the Napoleon route until the last minute and they are used to working with this issue. When we checked in at the Pilgrim office last year, we were told it was closed. By the evening they had decided to open the route and we were the first group to cross for the season. It was subsequently closed again.
I wouldn't worry about any of these issues they will all resolve themselves the way they are supposed too. The Camino experience is amazing . Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm not biased against them, but I am prepared to suggest that those who promote them generally do so with little understanding of the alternatives, that their benefits are overstated and their limitations all but ignored.

Well, what would you expect them to say. All I can say is that I have tried them, and I have no intention of replacing my conventional poles with Pacer poles.
Hi Dougfitz. What do you think are the limitations of the pacer poles? Which other ones do you recommend? I am open to all views. Many thanks

Hi Dougfitz. What do you think are the limitations of the pacer poles? Which other ones do you recommend? I am open to all views. Many thanks
@Anniew, it is probably more important to understand that Pacer poles do not overcome any specific limitations in properly used trekking poles. In particular, the benefits claimed for Pacer pole use (http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/product/what-is-a-pacerpole) are all readily achievable if you are using trekking poles or nordic walking poles properly.

What the Pacer pole handles do achieve is that they appear almost impossible to use incorrectly. This cannot be said of trekking pole straps, which I regularly see put on the wrong way around, or not used at all. So you might say that Pacer poles overcome some limitations of improperly used trekking poles. That said, most people seem to be able to get the knack of properly fitting the strap in a few minutes - it is not a big investment in time and can be reinforced by regular practice.

In use, a trekking pole changes angle by about 40 deg, moving from being near vertical at the start of a stride, to being at approximately 50 deg to the ground at the end of the stride. With a nordic pole or a trekking pole with the strap worn correctly, that whole range of movement can be accommodated without having to change the angle of the wrist as the pole and wrist pivot relative to each other at the point at which the pole strap is joined to the pole. During that time, the arm can exert the full pressure one wants to exert through the strap.

In contrast, with a Pacer pole, the handgrip can only be at the optimal ergonomic angle at one point, and at any other point it must be moving away from that angle. For small angles, this might not be too difficult, but if you watch the video on this page http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/pacerpole-user-guide/basic-walking, you will see that Heather has to cock her wrist and then starts to lose contact with the handgrip. Overall, it appears that her arm moves through an angle of about half the angle that the poles move through, I estimate about 20 deg, which clearly indicates that she is not maintaining the same grip on the ergonomic handles during her stride, and it is not clear she is maintaining the same pole pressure throughout the stride as a result.

This wrist cocking action is completely unnecessary with nordic and trekking poles, unless you foolishly choose to adopt a death hold on the pole grip itself, instead of holding it loosely and just gently guiding it into position, letting the wrist strap provide the pivot point.

In terms of making a recommendation, I have found poles from Leki, Black Diamond and Komperdell better than other manufacturers. If you are not a heavy pole user, I suspect that some brands that I have found less durable might not give you a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've used Komperdell, Leki and my current carbon fibre Black Diamond poles, each set for over 1000km. I'll do a review once I've tried Tigger's Pacerpoles.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back