• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations needed?

Enzo

Time of past OR future Camino
Aiming to go on the French route in September. Have been dreaming about it for years.
Hi everyone, my name is Enzo, I'm from Canada. I'm new here, so not sure if I'm posting my question in the right place but I'm planning to do the Camino Frances next year, perhaps summer because i dont want to deal with mud, snow, cold weather, etc. I'm wondering if it's doable to go without reservations or would it be too busy since it's peak season?
It sounds like just the cheap hostels that are the only ones that are difficult to obtain? I want to enjoy the pilgrimage and not rush just because I'm worried about not getting a room.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone, my name is Enzo, I'm from Canada. I'm new here, so not sure if I'm posting my question in the right place but I'm planning to do the Camino Frances next year, perhaps summer because i dont want to deal with mud, snow, cold weather, etc. I'm wondering if it's doable to go without reservations or would it be too busy since it's peak season?
It sounds like just the cheap hostels that are the only ones that are difficult to obtain? I want to enjoy the pilgrimage and not rush just because I'm worried about not getting a room.
Welcome to this forum, Enzo.
If you seek to stay in a ROOM on your camino, you are well advised to make reservations, get a guide with the phone numbers and call ahead either the day before or in the morning of same day. Be however aware that you will burden yourself with constant planing and worry. If you "want to enjoy the pilgrimage", you would just want to have a BED for the night, which you'll find without reservations, most Albergues don't take them anyway.
On my camino in early September, I encountered "full house" only twice, so I walked on to the next albergue.
Have a buen camino.

... I'm planning to do the Camino Frances next year, perhaps summer because i dont want to deal with mud, snow, cold weather, etc. I'm wondering if it's doable to go without reservations or would it be too busy since it's peak season?...

You could also consider going in May or September which are certainly less busy than July/August. Also summer tends to be very hot making a start with first light necessary. Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm walking right now. Staying in private accommodation.

But many I have met who were staying in Albergues are now booking ahead to get private accommodation.

Seems there are just not enough Albergue beds. ...

A few people have commented to me that the stress of trying to find a bed has spoiled their Camino.

Maybe others walking now could also comment?

Last edited:
I'm not out there right now but plan to start late May, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I have walked the Camino in different season and never had a night I did not find a bed. It takes a little planning in that if you are walking in a conga line of pilgrims during that day stop early (between noon to 13h) and put your pack in a line at the front door of the albergue. I have good friends who started their first Camino from Pamplona on 2 may and so far they have had zero problems with accommodations.

I stayed almost exclusively in hotels, hostels, pensions, etc. I am finishing the CF tomorrow. I am in Arca at the moment. 20 km from Santiago.

The number of Europeans who show up for the last few hundred km is staggering. My CF family from SJPdP says the same.
As I got closer to Santiago I observed what was happening and started making reservations days in advance. I did not find that stressful at all. Just reassuring that I had a good place to stay.
You can always walk to one location, take a taxi or bus to another location for the night and the return to your walking point the next day. I did that a couple of times.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to this forum, Enzo.
If you seek to stay in a ROOM on your camino, you are well advised to make reservations, get a guide with the phone numbers and call ahead either the day before or in the morning of same day. Be however aware that you will burden yourself with constant planing and worry. If you "want to enjoy the pilgrimage", you would just want to have a BED for the night, which you'll find without reservations, most Albergues don't take them anyway.
On my camino in early September, I encountered "full house" only twice, so I walked on to the next albergue.
Have a buen camino.
Thanks Pano. I'm surprised because I thought the albergues would be the ones that fill up first, as these are the low cost accommodations, if I understand right. I don't mind reserving ahead normally, but I'm hoping for flexibility so that if I choose or need to adjust my plans I would be able to.

I'm walking right now. Staying in private accommodation.

But many I have met who were staying in Albergues are now booking ahead to get private accommodation.

Seems there are just not enough Albergue beds. ...

A few people have commented to me that the stress of trying to find a bed has spoiled their Camino.

Maybe others walking now could also comment?
Thanks Robo. So it sounds like you're saying that if I'm willing to pay more, I can always get a room, but the albergues are the ones I can't be assured of getting. Is that right?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm not out there right now but plan to start late May, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I have walked the Camino in different season and never had a night I did not find a bed. It takes a little planning in that if you are walking in a conga line of pilgrims during that day stop early (between noon to 13h) and put your pack in a line at the front door of the albergue. I have good friends who started their first Camino from Pamplona on 2 may and so far they have had zero problems with accommodations.
Thanks Biarritzdon. You wouldn't stop early every day though, right? Because then the camino would take much longer to finish. It seems like you're saying don't go by the guidebook and stay where everyone else is stopping for the night?

I stayed almost exclusively in hotels, hostels, pensions, etc. I am finishing the CF tomorrow. I am in Arca at the moment. 20 km from Santiago.

The number of Europeans who show up for the last few hundred km is staggering. My CF family from SJPdP says the same.
As I got closer to Santiago I observed what was happening and started making reservations days in advance. I did not find that stressful at all. Just reassuring that I had a good place to stay.
You can always walk to one location, take a taxi or bus to another location for the night and the return to your walking point the next day. I did that a couple of times.
Thanks Joe. I never thought of anything like your last suggestion before. That's a good backup plan if needed. How did you make reservations? By local phone? Was there internet access? Or did you bring your own cell and change the sim card to use your cell for this?

I have never not had a bed despite not booking. (Actually I have a handful of times because someone I was with wanted to). Once I was fortunate enough to have a bed in a small albergue in Castrojeriz. The main albergue was closed due to the hospitalero being ill. There was a queue of some 2 dozen of us waiting until it opened to find it only had 12 beds! Many had to pay for hostals and some walked on. This was late May. So I would suggest start without reservations, feel the flow and then decide what makes you comfotable. Yes, you are right it is best not to stress, but one's ability to feel anxious and stressed changes quite dramatically on the Camino! Good luck with whatever you decide and Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Pano. I'm surprised because I thought the albergues would be the ones that fill up first, as these are the low cost accommodations, if I understand right. I don't mind reserving ahead normally, but I'm hoping for flexibility so that if I choose or need to adjust my plans I would be able to.
The sheer number of albergues with their usually large capacity of beds/bunks can well cope with demand, except during very high peaks.
Most don't use these low cost accommodations primarily for economic reasons, but because they provide an important part of the unique camino communal spirit, I believe. To miss them would be missing the entire pilgrim experience IMO, although I absolutely enjoyed the luxury of the occasional private room (loved the Paradores!)

I have never not had a bed despite not booking. (Actually I have a handful of times because someone I was with wanted to). Once I was fortunate enough to have a bed in a small albergue in Castrojeriz. The main albergue was closed due to the hospitalero being ill. There was a queue of some 2 dozen of us waiting until it opened to find it only had 12 beds! Many had to pay for hostals and some walked on. This was late May. So I would suggest start without reservations, feel the flow and then decide what makes you comfotable. Yes, you are right it is best not to stress, but one's ability to feel anxious and stressed changes quite dramatically on the Camino! Good luck with whatever you decide and Buen Camino.
Thanks Al. Great point about how you perceive stress differently once on the camino. I do want to go with the flow and adapt to what I feel or need once I'm there. I guess I just wanted the reassurance I wasn't completely wrong to do it that way. Thanks again.

The sheer number of albergues with their usually large capacity of beds/bunks can well cope with demand, except during very high peaks.
Most don't use these low cost accommodations primarily for economic reasons, but because they provide an important part of the unique camino communal spirit, I believe. To miss them would be missing the entire pilgrim experience IMO, although I absolutely enjoyed the luxury of the occasional private room (loved the Paradores!)
What is IMO? And yes, I was considering doing the same...occasionally treat myself to a private room when I feel I'd like one. Thanks again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Biarritzdon. You wouldn't stop early every day though, right? Because then the camino would take much longer to finish. It seems like you're saying don't go by the guidebook and stay where everyone else is stopping for the night?

During the warm/hot season you start anyway very earl to walk - just to avoid the worst heat of the day. Hence you also arrive early. If you do go by the guidebook you end up staying where most of the other pilgrims are staying. If you choose a stopping place in between 'typical stages' you end up staying where less pilgrims are staying.

Thanks Joe. I never thought of anything like your last suggestion before. That's a good backup plan if needed. How did you make reservations? By local phone? Was there internet access? Or did you bring your own cell and change the sim card to use your cell for this?

Only private albergues, hostales and pensiones do accept reservations, and yes, they are made by phone, mostly your own cell. Wifi is also widely available, handy for using booking.com for making reservations in hostales/pensiones. A lot of pilgrim albergues do NOT accept reservations and work on a first come - first served base. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks Robo. So it sounds like you're saying that if I'm willing to pay more, I can always get a room, but the albergues are the ones I can't be assured of getting. Is that right?

Kind of. Some private allergies you can book it seems.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.