• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations?

Bob Hummel

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello All!
I will be embarking on my first pilgrimage at the end of April.
I am uncertain whether or not to make reservations at the the various albergues along the way.
To fully enjoy and benefit from the experience, I would rather not be tied to a time line of having to be at a certain place at a certain time. I would also like the flexibility to change my overnight locations on the fly, in case I can't make it to the intended town, need an extra days rest, or just want to hang out for a day in a place I enjoy.
On the other hand, I don't want to stumble into a town and find out that all the albergues are full!
What should I do?
Another question I have is, could you please tell me if the albergues furnish mattress covers and pillows, or should I bring my own?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the Forum! You have a lovely plan here. Travelling solo at that time of year, you won't need to worry about reservations on the Camino Frances route. (That's not to say you'll always get your first choice of lodging, just that something should be available.)
The standard practice is for pilgrims to carry a "sleep sack", aka silk sleeping bag liner. Pillows are generally available, as I understand it. There may be the odd spot where you make do with some clothing. However, you would lay your sleep sack atop the proffered pillow, for hygienic considerations. In April, things can still be cool at night at the higher points, so you may want to consider an ultralight (interior use, half-kilo) sleeping bag.

This has been discussed many times in the forum. Opinions (and experiences) vary. I have started to feel that preferences depend a lot of the personality and expectatives (are you the over planner or the adventurous type? how much intimidated you feel about being alone in a foreign country?). Also, every year seems to be more and more crowded, and the offer side may (or may not) be catching up.
You don't mention where and how long are you walking; it seems the critical lodging stages are the final, after Sarria.
I suggest you reserve your first night, just to have peace of mind, and decide next days if reservation is convenient on the spot.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the Forum! You have a lovely plan here. Travelling solo at that time of year, you won't need to worry about reservations on the Camino Frances route. (That's not to say you'll always get your first choice of lodging, just that something should be available.)
The standard practice is for pilgrims to carry a "sleep sack", aka silk sleeping bag liner. Pillows are generally available, as I understand it. There may be the odd spot where you make do with some clothing. However, you would lay your sleep sack atop the proffered pillow, for hygienic considerations. In April, things can still be cool at night at the higher points, so you may want to consider an ultralight (interior use, half-kilo) sleeping bag.
Thank you Kitsambler!
I have a silk liner and a light sleeping bag. So it sounds like I'm covered! Pun intended.
Bob

This has been discussed many times in the forum. Opinions (and experiences) vary. I have started to feel that preferences depend a lot of the personality and expectatives (are you the over planner or the adventurous type? how much intimidated you feel about being alone in a foreign country?). Also, every year seems to be more and more crowded, and the offer side may be (or may not) catching up.
You don't mention where and how long are you walking; it seems the critical lodging stages are the final, after Sarria.
I suggest you reserve your first night, just to have peace of mind, and decide next days if reservation is convenient on the spot.
Buen camino!
Thank you Felipe!
I have been a serious over planner all my life. But I don't want to be like that on the Camino.
I am not intimidated at all being alone in a foreign country. I lived in Germany for three years and have traveled alone in Mexico and Honduras.
I don't know how long I will be walking, because I don't know how long it will take me. I have allowed a full two months, beginning on April 27th. I want to go at a pace that allows me to fully enjoy the benefits and the experience. Also, as I mentioned, I want to be able to adjust on the fly, should I need or desire to stay in one spot for a day or two.
I already have my reservation in SJPDP. Beyond that, I have nothing.
I really appreciate and will follow you advice!
Bob

The primary purpose of a reservation is to keep from wandering a town looking for a bed; you can do the wandering by phone. If you find conditions are too busy to "wing it," you can begin making reservations at any time. There is no need to commit to something now. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Felipe!
I have been a serious over planner all my life. But I don't want to be like that on the Camino.
I already have my reservation in SJPDP. Beyond that, I have nothing.
Bob
It seems you already have made your mind, and have a good, open plan.
I would only add that if you are arriving in Compostela in late June, this will already be "high season". Las year there were a couple of Summer "albergue completo" scares. This was new...Some forum members said that there were just wild rumours, others that it was "just a long wave". I don't know for sure.
In my experience, pilgrims are incredibly resourceful and solidary; also hospitaleros, try to do their best to help you. I have been in serious lodging problems a couple of times, and always was rescued by kind local people.

Last edited:
It seems you already have made your mind, and have a good, open plan.
I would only add that if you are arriving in Compostela in late June, this will already be "high season". Las year there were a couple of Summer "albergue completo" scares. This was new...Some forum members said that there were just wild rumours, others that it was "just a long wave". I don't know for sure.
In my experience, pilgrims are incredibly resourceful and solidary; also hospitaleros, try to do their best to help you. I have been in serous lodging problems a couple of times, and always was rescued by kind local people.
Thank you all for the great advice!
Bob

Maybe reserve in Santiago, if you want to stay for example at, Hospederia San Martin Pinario, in a Pilgrim room. You have to call for that. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have done around 1.5 Caminos over three trips at peak holiday times. Only once did I struggle to find a bed for the night at an Albergue and in the had to stay at a small hotel. It may be worth booking a hotel at the larger towns but even then its not really necessary as I did this, sometimes on the same Day, for Leon and Burgos (but not on every trip).
enjoy your trip. Word of warning tho- its very addictive

That is CHEATING!
The Sun God of the Druids will take care of your wants. Walked the Camino Frances twice without ever having a reservation--but I always had a sleeping bag and mat just in case I had to sleep outside. Mat came in handy when leaving as I slept on the concrete floor of the Madrid airport over night--along with many others.

This has been discussed recently in other threads. My own view is at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-may.44507/#post-465209. I would also suggest that any suggestion that booking is akin to cheating can be sensibly ignored. It is just as legitimate a choice about how you manage your walk as the decision to use pack transport. Choosing one or the other won't make you any more or less a pilgrim in my view.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is CHEATING!
The Sun God of the Druids will take care of your wants. Walked the Camino Frances twice without ever having a reservation--but I always had a sleeping bag and mat just in case I had to sleep outside. Mat came in handy when leaving as I slept on the concrete floor of the Madrid airport over night--along with many others.

Hey, didn't know their was a rule book.
Never took a sleeping bag or mat and never needed it.
Spending overnight in a seat at an airport is one of those things you may have to do it you travel a lot - it really isn't a big deal. I'm elderly and have absolutely no problem in doing it.

Its your Camino to do as you wish....enjoy the experience

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is, but it depends entirely on the person quoting a rule, and it is usually quite self-serving! A Brazilian women who took my lower bunk had a rule that a hat and jacket were not enough to claim a bed; you had to unroll your sleeping bag on it. ;)

There is, but it depends entirely on the person quoting a rule, and it is usually quite self-serving! A Brazilian women who took my lower bunk had a rule that a hat and jacket were not enough to claim a bed; you had to unroll your sleeping bag on it. ;)
Same experience here. Happened with unrolled :)eek:) sleeping bag in muni in Leon this summer. Eventually got a much "better" bed ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An elderly couple walk into a dingy hotel and the receptionist asked "Do you have reservations?"

"Yes" the man replied looking at the peeling paintwork, "but we'll stay here anyway".

SOMETIMES it's best to freewheel - there's alway somewhere to sleep!

Hello All!
I am uncertain whether or not to make reservations at the the various albergues along the way.
To fully enjoy and benefit from the experience, I would rather not be tied to a time line of having to be at a certain place at a certain time. I would also like the flexibility to change my overnight locations on the fly, in case I can't make it to the intended town, need an extra days rest, or just want to hang out for a day in a place I enjoy.
On the other hand, I don't want to stumble into a town and find out that all the albergues are full!
What should I do?
Another question I have is, could you please tell me if the albergues furnish mattress covers and pillows, or should I bring my own?
Thank you!
Bob
Personally, I prefer not to make reservations. I have seen too many people turned away and then those who reserved do not turn up. In one albergue, 20 beds were reserved and I got the last non reserved. Next morning, only two beds had been used, the rest still had the 'reservado' tickets attached. The albergue lost a lot of money and a lot of pilgrims had to walk on to the next town. However, in your case, there should be no need to reserve in April. On my first camino I started in March 2013 and my second started mid April 2015 and had no need to reserve. Even this year, in early September when there was an extremely large number of pilgrims I never had to try somewhere else. I did see others arriving mid afternoon being turned away but outside one albergue, a lady was offering a bed in her home to some turned away. I agree with your point of not being tied to a certain time and place. Because of the extreme heat this year, there were a few days I had to stop before reaching my intended goal. For the same reason, I do not send my pack on by taxi.
As for the mattress covers, there are many albergues that supply covers for both mattress and pillow. I believe, though could be wrong, that the covers have been treated with anti bedbug treatment. Also, especially at that time of year, many albergues supply blankets but these are probably not washed on a daily basis
Hope this helps

Hello All!
What should I do?
Thank you!
Bob

We walked our camino last year, and did not make reservations because we wanted to feel free to stop anywhere we wanted. But when we arrived to Sarria (where the last 100km start) it was kind of hard to find a place. After that we started making reservations, just book by email, it is the safest way to assure that you will have a nice and confortable place to stay.
Enjoy your planning and then enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just be sure to cancel if you will not make it. That is something another pilgrim will apprecciate.

Never took a sleeping bag or mat and never needed it.
Spending overnight in a seat at an airport is one of those things you may have to do it you travel a lot - it really isn't a big deal. I'm elderly and have absolutely no problem in doing it.

Its your Camino to do as you wish....enjoy the experience
How did you sleep without a sleeping bag? Only in hotels? Thank you.

Yellowfriend - I took a silk sheet bag which (impregnated with some bug killer) and stayed in Albergues the whole way apart from a couple of nights in Ponferrada where I took a short break and stayed in a hotel. I had to sleep on the floor of the local sport hall for one night just after Roncesvalles as there were no beds anywhere - another on the floor of the common room in an Albergue for the same reason. It was cold but I just put on all my clothes (meaning my spare set)and had a fitful night. But I was happy to do that if it meant I didn't have to carry the extra weight of bag and mat.
But my recollection was that most places had blankets, but I only used them a few times.
BTW I travel very light - less then 5kg bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love this post because I too don't want to book ahead unless I have to! I have traveled like this before and always managed to find a place to sleep. So although I've never done it (going May 2017) I believe the Camino will provide.

With that said I will probably still book a place in Santiago a couple days in advance and maybe SJPdP too.

I love this post because I too don't want to book ahead unless I have to! I have traveled like this before and always managed to find a place to sleep. So although I've never done it (going May 2017) I believe the Camino will provide.

With that said I will probably still book a place in Santiago a couple days in advance and maybe SJPdP too.

I have travelled like this before???
May is a big month for pilgrims and the weather can become inclement to say the least.
If you can avoid booking ahead, it gives you freedom and a sense of doing it your way.
In saying that
We now always book ahead , thats what getting old does.
This allows us a few extra km's a day as there is no rushing,
The accommodation is usually a private room as shown in MMDD which allows us to sleep and rise when we wish which is decided by the following days distance.
A crap day coming up means early to bed and a good sleep.
A short day allows a late evening [ albergues close @ 10pm when most Spanish are just starting their meal] and a late sleep in.
We have always stayed in private rooms in the bigger towns so we can take in the culture;) [ food / drink ] of the area , they all vary.
In other words be very flexible , it will be different from any previous walks , especially if you do the 900km to Muxia.
Been Camino and safe travels

I have travelled like this before???
May is a big month for pilgrims and the weather can become inclement to say the least.
If you can avoid booking ahead, it gives you freedom and a sense of doing it your way.
In saying that
We now always book ahead , thats what getting old does.
This allows us a few extra km's a day as there is no rushing,
The accommodation is usually a private room as shown in MMDD which allows us to sleep and rise when we wish which is decided by the following days distance.
A crap day coming up means early to bed and a good sleep.
A short day allows a late evening [ albergues close @ 10pm when most Spanish are just starting their meal] and a late sleep in.
We have always stayed in private rooms in the bigger towns so we can take in the culture;) [ food / drink ] of the area , they all vary.
In other words be very flexible , it will be different from any previous walks , especially if you do the 900km to Muxia.
Been Camino and safe travels

Thanks @Thornley, great advice! The "plan" is to not have a plan, but if it becomes necessary to book we certainly will. And yes, I have traveled like that before :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All things being equal, I'd say not reserving ahead is a better idea -- if only because things not going according to plan is an element of the Camino.

Having said that, all things are not equal ; and for the wealthier pilgrim, if he's sensible and sensitive about it, all mod cons can be a core element of his particular pilgrimage.

I met one particular English couple (I *think* in 2005), very posh, very wealthy, who engaged me in conversation, I think because I was so scruffy "true pilgrim" looking, about this very topic -- they were feeling guilty for not doing the Camino "properly", because they were staying in hotels, having their luggage sent forward, walking very short distances, and not even every day.

I can't recall exactly what I told them -- but we're on the Camino to a great deal to meet ourselves, as we are, not some entirely different person. I likely mentioned the wealthy pilgrims of the Middle Ages who travelled in basically the same way on the Way.

The Way is who we are and what the Way can give us, each in our particulars.

This lovely couple were no less pilgrims than any of us who may have toiled thousands of miles not always knowing where our next meal might come from.

Neither extreme is contrary to the Way, nor anything more normal in between. Because no pilgrims nor their needs are contrary to the Way.

This lovely couple were no less pilgrims than any of us who may have toiled thousands of miles not always knowing where our next meal might come from.

Well said Jabba,
A wise man once said
"Respect is something you must have ..............in order to get it"
The English couple displayed this trait and you responded accordingly.

You are so right by saying that the Camino will provide.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.