• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations!!!!

Wanderlust57

Beth Cappon
Time of past OR future Camino
I highly recommend reservations at least for the first five stages of the Camino. I had a very unfortunate situation of arriving in Larrasona yesterday and not finding a bed anywhere and had to take a taxi at 11 at night to Pampalona! Paying a lot for a hotel!It is the 3rd night of not having a bed and waiting waiting...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tired to make a reservation in Roncesvalles on http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/ and all beds are booked for this Friday sept 9th. What are my other options for finding a place to stay in Roncesvalles?
Hi, Michael, looks like September will be quite busy. If you think you can make it a few kms further on, both Burguete and Espinal have private places (check out gronze.com), and they are showing availability even on booking.com. Since booking.com only has access to a few of the hotel's rooms, that suggests that there are plenty of spaces further down the road. Get out of that pilgrim bubble by staying in the off-stage places and hopefully you will not need to worry! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Friday is the 8th. ;)

On the Meseta there is no need for booking just no. I started in Burgos aug 29 and am in León today, sept 6.
Albergues on the Meseta talks about significant drop in numbers of pilegrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Michael, looks like September will be quite busy. If you think you can make it a few kms further on, both Burguete and Espinal have private places (check out gronze.com), and they are showing availability even on booking.com. Since booking.com only has access to a few of the hotel's rooms, that suggests that there are plenty of spaces further down the road. Get out of that pilgrim bubble by staying in the off-stage places and hopefully you will not need to worry! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Friday is the 8th. ;)

Thank you for the information. I will try to make it from SJPP to Espinal on Saturday the 9th, if no accommodations are available along the way.

Thank you for the heads up. I have made reservations from St Jean all the way to Puente La Reina . . . I just don't want to make any other reservations for now [and hopefully this is a good decision, ya veremos, this is "locking me" into a set schedule, and that is something I just don't want to do]. Again, gracias, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get out of that pilgrim bubble by staying in the off-stage places and hopefully you will not need to worry! Buen camino, Laurie
I'm sorry, @Wanderlust57 ! And I can only repeat what Laurie said. Do a short stage tomorrow maybe to Muruzabel. I walked that part of the Frances in late May this year when it was really busy and found accommodation in smaller villages when it wasn't available in the towns most people stop in.

I tired to make a reservation in Roncesvalles on http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/ and all beds are booked for this Friday sept 9th. What are my other options for finding a place to stay in Roncesvalles?
You could try Orrison Albergue , it was very nice and the owners were very kind and fun! There is also a couple of places before Orrison . About half mile. Some people stayed there and walked up to Orrison for a great family style meal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

The website says that the beds assigned will be on the first floor and that you can't choose your floor which suggests that only the first floor is bookable and beds on others are handed out on a first-come first-served basis.

I'm not sure to what extent that's true or if it's just a quirk of translation.

In any case probably safer to follow the advice of others to book elsewhere if you can. The extra distance will be worth the peace of mind and knowing you have a place will let you take the day at your pace.

We stayed at Orrison, and got to Roncevalles before 1pm, we could have walked on another 10 km pretty easily. I think we started walking at about 7 or 8 am.

Just confirming the reports - we were at Roncesvalles last night, and all accommodation was full quite early. We had booked a room at La Posada, and they were full and turning people away who had already been turned away by the albergue. I know they tried to find places for people elsewhere, I don't know how successfully. We saw some exhausted and distressed people.

There seemed to be many who were very surprised to find the albergue full, and quite a common belief that room would be found for whoever showed up. This seems to be based on what is now sadly (possibly temporarily?) outdated information. I knew from reading this forum that this time of year is now busiest for this end of the Francés, but as we know, most pilgrims are not members of the forum and the up to date info doesn't seem to be getting out there.

While I know a lot of people prefer not to book ahead, that's different from thinking there's no need. So while walking on (for those able) or taking a taxi are options available, not many arriving yesterday seemed to realise those could be their only options if they hadn't booked. Hopefully this is a peak season "blip".

(Now recovering from a short day one of Camino no. 2, with first ever Camino blister :mad: but a lovely day for walking anyway!:D)

Getting There aka Blistered in Bizkarreta

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can imagine the distress, as uninformed or misinformed expectation meets hard reality.
Thanks for putting the word out here, because even though it won't reach everyone, it will reach some ones!

May that blister be history very soon.
Buen (hopefully staying off-stage to avoid the crush) Camino, Getting There!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed at Orrison, and got to Roncevalles before 1pm, we could have walked on another 10 km pretty easily. I think we started walking at about 7 or 8 am.
But, as you know, Orisson usually requires booking well in advance.

I highly recommend reservations at least for the first five stages of the Camino. I had a very unfortunate situation of arriving in Larrasona yesterday and not finding a bed anywhere and had to take a taxi at 11 at night to Pampalona! Paying a lot for a hotel!It is the 3rd night of not having a bed and waiting waiting...

There is no need to book the five stages as mentioned,
What are the 5 stages ????????

Many of our friends who commence the Camino and who have time on their side , remember those words , they are not in a hurry to get blisters or turn up half dead in the evenings now commence in at least Navarrenx [ France ]
This gives them 3 days minimum before St JPdP
They go straight over to Burguete or in inclement conditions they avoid St JPdP and go straight to Valcarlos
The history of the FOUR camino's in St Palais and Ostabat should be known and they love the look of the "whole" Pyrenees from Navarrenx , walking towards this is something special.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sorry for the inconvenience. For me, I carry a tarp or bivy. When staying at Roncesvalles Monsatery last year, there were a few tents pitched just outside the walls. I believe they were able to gain access to washrooms and other facilities but slept outside.

Personally, I am prepared to sleep outside any time it is necessary, even in the cold or the rain. I will find a way to stay dry and warm. And it does not have to add a lot of weight to the pack. And it helps save a few euros too.

Just FYI....weather in Roncesvalles is crummy - cool, breezy and pouring rain. We were in SJPP this afternoon and the place was mobbed - many places already full by 1pm. In Roncesvalles tonight and it is also booked out. Please make reservations! Not a good time to think about sleeping outside☹️

Just FYI....weather in Roncesvalles is crummy - cool, breezy and pouring rain. We were in SJPP this afternoon and the place was mobbed - many places already full by 1pm. In Roncesvalles tonight and it is also booked out. Please make reservations! Not a good time to think about sleeping outside☹️
I spent time in Zabaldika (approx 34km from Ronvesvalles) this summer. If needed, weary pilgrims were driven on to Trinidad de Arre if there were no beds in Zabaldika. I was surprised to hear that Roncesvalles was only taking around 180 or so, and think it has to do with insurance or some arguments with local government. I second those suggesting going on to Burguete or even Espinal. I can't really offer an opinion on booking. When I did need to keep moving because of bed shortage, at least by then I had acquired sufficient stamina to be able to add 13 km to the day's walk (Portomarin). In sum, sympathies with those who find no bed. There are solutions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are limited spaces in roncesvalles. The best option is to go to burgette which is 3.5 km away. There are more beds there.

burgette which is 3.5 km away
Rooms are about 35E and up, and most accommodations are fairly small. Only one of six on gronze.com is listed with booking.com, so reservations probably are by phone only. It is a nice town with a famous piano, but it would be nice if Roncesvalles could solve its political dispute and open up the closed building...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I'm at Espinal tonight after leaving Orisson this morning. There is someone here who stayed at R'valles last night. Said there were 180 beds. She arrived at 3:30 and got bed #173. She says 40-50 arrived after her and were bussed back down to find rooms. She described the place as "maddening".

Last edited:
Once again I am pleading (begging, praying!) that folks head the advice to make reservations. We are in El Burgo Ranero tonight and it is full.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm in Castrojeriz, so 3-4 days behind you. It is full too. There are friends I've made who are 2-3 days behind me reporting the same. The advice to wait a day and let the bubble pass is not applicable these days. Things have changed. It is one constant wave that doesn't appear to have a end point as of yet. I have been on the Camino for 16 days and have yet to NOT have reservations. Last night in Hornillos there were taxis galore taking people out who had no reservations and thus no bed. No thanks to that reality.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am in Acebo just after Cruz de Fero. I have not booked any accommodation for about two weeks except León on the weekend. I have had zero problems and there has been free beds in most of my albergues.
I am not saying don't reserve. I am very glad that I did at the start. I am just saying that not to panic if you can't or don't want to book. There are lots of great albergues that do not accept bookings.
If you can stay at the in between villages and can arrive early it improves your chances of getting a good bed.

I am in Acebo just after Cruz de Fero. I have not booked any accommodation for about two weeks except León on the weekend. I have had zero problems and there has been free beds in most of my albergues.
I am not saying don't reserve. I am very glad that I did at the start. I am just saying that not to panic if you can't or don't want to book. There are lots of great albergues that do not accept bookings.
If you can stay at the in between villages and can arrive early it improves your chances of getting a good bed.
Glad to hear you are not having problems. Others haven't been as fortunate. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know this does not solve any immediate problem folks are having finding a bed, but it's my soapbox so I'll stand on it. There are so many other Camino routes in Spain that have no crowding problem right now. We're just finishing up a 15 day hospitalero assignment in Zamora, on the Via de la Plata. We've averaged 17 pilgrims per day with empty beds every night. From just past here, the Camino Sanabres turns west and offers terrain very similar to the last 300 km of the Frances. There will empty beds all along the route.

Just trying to contribute to a better experience for all. Buen Camino.
Mike.

She described the place as "maddening".

Roncesvalles can be like that which is why Valcarlos is becoming very popular,

*** Burguete ,
Peace,vilage atmosphere, great food with all classes of accommodation is an extra 40 minutes walk , maybe 50 minutes after the decline,
Stop in Roncesvalles, for a snack/drink and then continue.
Cannot believe anyone who stayed at Orisson does not finish here the next day .

Last edited:
f you can stay at the in between villages and can arrive early it improves your chances of getting a good bed.

Well said Nomad ,
VIP ....avoid at all costs Brierleys stages for good walking and accommodation.

I highly recommend NO reservations. You have no idea how you will cope, how far you'll be able or want to walk, and what type of quarters you like sleeping in.

I highly recommend NO reservations. You have no idea how you will cope, how far you'll be able or want to walk, and what type of quarters you like sleeping in.

The people with this approach must be the ones I see piling in taxis going to find a bed in a different town.

We stayed in Boadillia del Camino which is the town before Fromista last night in the last Albergue as you leave the town Albergue Titas and there were only 5 of us in a 12 bed Albergue so lots of spare beds there last night.

Plus we had an excellent pilgrims meal at the Albergue. The Albergue was very clean, with 2 cotton sheets and blankets and towels all supplied for no extra cost....sheer luxury!!! for 10€. Plus 10€ for the dinner.

Last edited:
The people with this approach must be the ones I see piling in taxis going to find a bed in a different town.
That wasn't my experience (I've been on two Caminos). The spontaneity and unknown are part of the experience for me. Each to their own though.

Avoiding the 33 stages recommended by Brierley would put a stop to this immediately.
But you must have time on your side.
September has also become THE month ,

***** Did you stop in that beautiful church in the Meseta , San Nicolas?
Just an example of between the recommended stopovers.

Last edited:
Avoiding the 33 stages recommended by Brierley would put a stop to this immediately.
But you must have time on your side.
September has also become THE month ,
Did you stop in that beautiful church in the Meseta , San Nicolas?
Just an example of between the recommended stopovers.
We loved San Nicolas!!!!!

O
We stayed in Boadillia del Camino which is the town before Fromista last night in the last Albergue as you leave the town Albergue Titas and there were only 5 of us in a 12 bed Albergue so lots of spare beds there last night.

Plus we had an excellent pilgrims meal at the Albergue. The Albergue was very clean, with 2 cotton sheets and blankets and towels all supplied for no extra cost....sheer luxury!!! for 10€. Plus 10€ for the dinner.
And a bit past Fromista in Población de Campos I can highly recommend Albergue La Finca. Only 12 beds, all of which are very private - curtains on the lower ones, and the upper beds are accessed by mini staircases and are like tiny rooms. It's also free to use the washing machine, abd the restaurant there, which is very popular with locals serves a great Pilgrim dinner.
http://www.alberguelafinca.es/

If you think the last 3 weeks were busy have a smile on your face and remember this e=m when you arrive in Sarria,
Enjoy the last bit and the best way is to upgrade and do not stop at the recommended Portamarin/Palais/Melide/Arzua ,
Our first time we took 34 days and followed the herd , the second time 43 days in bliss.

September on the CF is starting to sounds horrible in terms of crowds.

My advice would be to carry a bivvy bag or better still a lightweight tent, or do the Via de la Plata!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.