• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reservations

Jim McMurtrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
I think I've decided to start my Camino Frances on April 2nd of 2018. I am looking for advice on accommodations. Is it possible, or more importantly, practical to call ahead day by day for reservations. I have plenty of time and would like the freedom to stay somewhere I like for a few days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I've decided to start my Camino Frances on April 2nd of 2018. I am looking for advice on accommodations. Is it possible, or more importantly, practical to call ahead day by day for reservations. I have plenty of time and would like the freedom to stay somewhere I like for a few days.

Booking.com works well for that task.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it is perfectly possible to reserve the previous day, if needed. Phone numbers are available in many guides, for example, Gronze.
Municipal and parochial albergues don't accept reservations.
Buen camino!

I started on April 11th this past spring. It was Holy Week, which was very busy and was glad I'd made reservations ahead for the first week. After Easter things calmed down somewhat, but we still felt a need to email ahead a day at a time as we were a family of four and wanted to have beds in the same lodging.

You will be starting your Camino the day after Easter. If you are just one person you may not need to call ahead if you stop early enough in the afternoon. You can see how it goes for you and call ahead if you start running into problems.

Last edited:
I'm going a week after you. I suggest that you book SJPP and Roncesvalles well before you go. Also, if you are planning Orrison, you need to book them well in advance as well. This buys you a few days of certainty while you get your bearings. After that, you will probably have good success walking in to most albergues that time of year. If you find that places are filling up, it means that you are in a "Bubble" of pilgrims. This can be in issue if you like to walk late into the afternoon. Take a short day, or taxi forward or back to get off of synchronization with the standard Brierly stages. If that does not clear things up, start calling ahead two days in advance and making reservations. I never ran into a barman or hospitalero who would not do this for me for albergues where language was a problem. You'll be fine!

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From sjpp? That is when I am starting too!

I'm going a week after you. I suggest that you book SJPP and Roncesvalles well before you go. Also, if you are planning Orrison, you need to book them well in advance as well. This buys you a few days of certainty while you get your bearings. After that, you will probably have good success walking in to most albergues that time of year. If you find that places are filling up, it means that you are in a "Bubble" of pilgrims. This can be in issue if you like to walk late into the afternoon. Take a short day, or taxi forward or back to get off of synchronization with the standard Brierly stages. If that does not clear things up, start calling ahead two days in advance and making reservations. I never ran into a barman or hospitalero who would not do this for me for albergues where language was a problem. You'll be fine!

Buen Camino
How far ahead should we book those sjpp, orisson, roncesvalles reservations?

Buen Camino
You've given lots of good advise!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Book SJPP, Orisson and Roncesvalles as soon as you know your dates. From there, just play it by ear. Normally, booking the day before would be more than fine (i.e. probably not necessary at all). But, be aware that arriving in a city on a weekend, especially on a holiday weekend, and very especially Easter week (which you'll miss), are the main times you need to think about accommodation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started 2 April this year. Orisson was not open. The Napolean route was still closed due to snow. I walked via Valcarlos and stayed there overnight. I booked SJPdP but it wasn’t necessary unless that is you have a favourite place you’d like to stay. Ditto with Valcarlos. There were still empty bunk beds in the municipal albergue. Similar situation at Roncesvalles. Most of that month was quiet if not staying in the major Brierley end stages. The wonderful exception, as @Camino Chris said, was Semana santa when absolute madness reigned but it was the most fantastically blessed time to be on the camino. :D Next year Semana santa is in March so no worries about that. I am envious. I loved walking in early spring. Wishing you a very buen camino.
PS If staying in albergues, don’t listen to anyone who might tell you that you don’t need a sleeping bag. :):):)

I pre-booked in SJPP when I walked last May/June. With so much happening on the first day, it's good to know in advance where you will be sleeping. I stayed at Errecaldia. Close to the pilgrim's office. Run by an Englishman and his wife. Nice room, hot showers and breakfast in the morning. There are some good Camino-focused resource tools for accommodation in the Camino Resources section of this site (Creature Comforts and Lodgings)

Agree with those who said book through Roncesvalles for peace of mind. Keep in mind that if you use Booking.com, if it says not available, call the Albergue/Pension direct as Booking only has access to a few rooms\beds and booking directly may be cheaper...no commission. Learn how to say I need a bed/room for tomorrow, is it possible? They will say Si or No/Completo. They’ll ask your nombre/name and you’re done. I enjoyed working on my Spanish skills. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started 2 April this year. Orisson was not open. The Napolean route was still closed due to snow. I walked via Valcarlos and stayed there overnight. I booked SJPdP but it wasn’t necessary unless that is you have a favourite place you’d like to stay. Ditto with Valcarlos. There were still empty bunk beds in the municipal albergue. Similar situation at Roncesvalles. Most of that month was quiet if not staying in the major Brierley end stages. The wonderful exception, as @Camino Chris said, was Semana santa when absolute madness reigned but it was the most fantastically blessed time to be on the camino. :D Next year Semana santa is in March so no worries about that. I am envious. I loved walking in early spring. Wishing you a very buen camino.
PS If staying in albergues, don’t listen to anyone who might tell you that you don’t need a sleeping bag. :):):)

Do you think a silk sleep sack and down Costco blanket will suffice if I am willing to bundle up in my hat, gloves and down jacket to sleep? (I have to do that when backpacking)

Do you think a silk sleep sack and down Costco blanket will suffice if I am willing to bundle up in my hat, gloves and down jacket to sleep? (I have to do that when backpacking)
I would happily walk with something like that as my sleeping bag is a very light one and I use it as a quilt. You will be fine. A couple of times I did have to dress warmly to go to bed but that was rare. And lots of albergues do have blankets but that is not guaranteed. Roncesvalles is an example in point. They do not have blankets and it is quite cold at that elevation. I was fine with my quilt sleeping bag but would have been cold without it.
Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino
Thankyou for this info although I am not the original poster. I too am beginning my walk around this same time...April 12th is when I begin walking after staying in St.Jean for two days to rest from my long flight and to re-acquaint myself with all that St. Jean has to offer. May see you on the way.....look out for our distinctive Australian Pilgrims patch.

Call ahead in France. Just arrive in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thankyou for this info although I am not the original poster. I too am beginning my walk around this same time...April 12th is when I begin walking after staying in St.Jean for two days to rest from my long flight and to re-acquaint myself with all that St. Jean has to offer. May see you on the way.....look out for our distinctive Australian Pilgrims patch.

You are Welcome. Connie and I will be leaving on the 10th after a leisurely breakfast......we will just go as far as Orrisson assuming that the Napolean is opened by then. Given our expected pace, you will most likely catch up to us pretty quickly. Connie will be the woman with a maple leaf on, traveling with a dull gray box.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be starting a few days behind you and have no intention of booking ahead other than St Jean and Orisson. The last time I walked at this time of year, 2015, I had no problems getting a bed.

I started my Camino this year on April 1st. The only accommodation I prebooked was rest days in Burgos (it was Easter Sunday) and Leon and also 2 nights in Santiago, but these were booked only a few days ahead using Bookings.com. I had no problems with getting beds in any albergues and even stayed a couple of nights in hotels that I organised on arrival. Remember the Napoleon route out of SJPDP may not be open due to bad weather so early in spring.
I hope you enjoy the perfect weather I did this year. Buen Camino

IF starting your camino in St Jean Pied de Port, here are some links for reservations all the way to Pamplona.

- St Jean Pied de Port (Hostel Beilari): http://www.beilari.info/en
- Orisson (Refuge Orisson): http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
- Roncesvalles (Albergue de Peregrinos): http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php
- Larrasoana (Hostel Bide Ederra): http://www.hostelbideederra.com/
- Pamplona (Albergue Casa Ibarrola): https://www.casaibarrola.com/

I do my reservations directly with the business, the website will tell you WHEN they will be open for
reservations. Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.