• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reserve bus from Madrid?

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
Hi,
I am just over a month from my first Camino! I am landing in Madrid and starting my walk in Burgos. Just wondering if I should purchase my bus ticket in advance or wait until i arrive? I am just worried about buying it in case my plane is delayed. Any advice is appreciated.
Quite excited to get there.
Thanks
Dean

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am doing the same journey. I booked ticket on line with ALSA (very easy) and allowed a couple of hours for delays and getting through customs. I took the view it was one less thing to do and wasn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. You can either go direct from airport or catch the metro into the city for the central bus station. I of course opted for the airport pickup. Must say having caught buses on my last two trips their wasn't an issue with capacity or buying tickets at either depots or on the buses themselves when it was allowed - I have pretty limited Spanish skills.
The bus station at Burgos is a short walk from the centre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wouldn't worry to buy it before arrival except if you are traveling in a peak period. But, of course, that's just me (and I know alternatives to reach Burgos just in case I needed them).

We are arriving in Madrid and traveling straight to Burgos as well. We aren't pre-purchasing bus tickets, just planning to get tickets on the next available bus. Our flight lands at 7:40, so we have plenty of time that day to wait for the next bus if we need to.

Hi,
I am just over a month from my first Camino! I am landing in Madrid and starting my walk in Burgos. Just wondering if I should purchase my bus ticket in advance or wait until i arrive? I am just worried about buying it in case my plane is delayed. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Dean
Hi Dean and welcome to the forum. I see you are getting good advice for getting to Burgos. I also see you are a fellow Canadian. You will meet lots on the Camino. It was so lovely to join up with others for Candian Thanksgiving last year. If you are able to spend a bit of extra time in Burgos, it's a wonderful city and the Cathedral is breathtaking. Buen Camino from Victoria, BC.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
Thanks
Dean
Good site for bus tickets in Spain: Movelia.

The bus to Burgos leaves directly from the airport, Terminal 4. You can get to Terminal 4 by taking the shuttle bus from your arrival terminal, one floor up from baggage claim, outside to the right. The journey between terminals takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on how long you have to wait for the next shuttle.

If you buy your bus ticket at the airport, you have to buy it inside at the Alsa kiosk, not on the bus. *The bus driver does not sell tickets.* The kiosk is located on the arrivals floor, and the buses depart outside, I think on the same floor, but it is well signed in any event. The bus to Burgos will leave from bus stands 1-4. The bus may or may not say 'Alsa' on the side, so check with the driver of every bus that leaves around your departure time to be sure your bus doesn't drive away without you (I've seen that almost happen many times!).

There is often a queue at the Alsa kiosk, so you may want to consider buying your tickets online, in advance. There is an English version of the Alsa website, and you can pay with PayPal.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back