• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserve hotel room?

Reedmont

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2016)
My son and I will begin our walk on March 26, 2016. Camino Frances will be our route and we plan on hiking 15-20 miles/day. Would recommend we arrange hotel reservations - we prefer private accommodations to hostels- ahead of time or will there be ample availability along the route? I have consulted with a travel guide who will book every night, but it is expensive and once we book we are committed to itinerary - what happens if we need a rest day or an injury falls upon us? Any advice would be most welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum @Reedmont. You are absolutely right - having to commit to distances and accommodation is not a good idea. On my last camino we met a very distressed pilgrim who felt she had wasted a large sum by using a private operator who set distances that she could not manage. She was having to spend additional money to catch taxis each day. She really envied our spontenaity in letting each day decide how far we would walk.

Only the cities and large towns have hotels and mostly overnight stops will be in very small villages, which is why the albergue system grew up in the first place. Other private accommodation is available if you want it; casa rurals are (usually) quite luxurious bed and breakfast type accommodation, many private albergues have rooms with facilities. Booking can be made using a cell phone, with Miam Miam Dodo, the Eroski website, and the previous night's host to provide phone numbers and information. Lots of information on the forum if you search.

But in any case I'd save judgement about the type of accommodation you might enjoy - it is surprising how much fun it can be to bed down in a dormitory full of like minded people. Most of us mix it up - a few nights in albergues followed by a night somewhere more private.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Reedmont. You are absolutely right - having to commit to distances and accommodation is not a good idea. On my last camino we met a very distressed pilgrim who felt she had wasted a large sum by using a private operator who set distances that she could not manage. She was having to spend additional money to catch taxis each day. She really envied our spontenaity in letting each day decide how far we would walk.

Only the cities and large towns have hotels and mostly overnight stops will be in very small villages, which is why the albergue system grew up in the first place. Other private accommodation is available if you want it; casa rurals are (usually) quite luxurious bed and breakfast type accommodation, many private albergues have rooms with facilities. Booking can be made using a cell phone, with Miam Miam Dodo, the Eroski website, and the previous night's host to provide phone numbers and information. Lots of information on the forum if you search.

But in any case I'd save judgement about the type of accommodation you might enjoy - it is surprising how much fun it can be to bed down in a dormitory full of like minded people. Most of us mix it up - a few nights in albergues followed by a night somewhere more private.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good morning, Kanga.

Many thanks for sharing your insights. One last question, if I may; based on the time we are planning to walk (March 26 to May 1st) will the Camino Frances be lightly traveled and therefore accommodations in which to choose plentiful? When we arrive for our first nights stay will there be signs or advertisenents for lodging? I apologize if these are silly questions.

Thank you again, Kanga.

Best,
Reedmont

@Reedmont there are no silly questions on this forum - we've all been inexperienced. March and April are very early spring on the Camino Francés and accommodation should not be a problem, although it is possible some may still be closed. Expect cold wet weather and hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Where are you planning to start? If St Jean-Pied-de-Port (SJPDP) then I recommend booking a night there - its a lovely town and worth a wander and a chance to meet other pilgrims. Here is a thread that may help

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-sleep-in-saint-jean.35516/

If you are starting elsewhere have a look at the Eroski website and also booking.com to get you started.

The Route Napoleon from St Jean Pied de Port (SJPDP) to Roncesvales is closed until the 30 March, altough the alternative route via Valcarlos is a lovely walk (in good weather) and more historically correct.

My son and I will begin our walk on March 26, 2016. Camino Frances will be our route and we plan on hiking 15-20 miles/day. Would recommend we arrange hotel reservations - we prefer private accommodations to hostels- ahead of time or will there be ample availability along the route? I have consulted with a travel guide who will book every night, but it is expensive and once we book we are committed to itinerary - what happens if we need a rest day or an injury falls upon us? Any advice would be most welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You didn't mention your son's age. I totally agree with Kanga that you both might actually enjoy some of the Albergues. Some of my fondest memories were times spent with those of all ages....and I am an oldie. And important to allow flexibility for the unknown. Wish you both Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Reedmont there are no silly questions on this forum - we've all been inexperienced. March and April are very early spring on the Camino Francés and accommodation should not be a problem, although it is possible some may still be closed. Expect cold wet weather and hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Where are you planning to start? If St Jean-Pied-de-Port (SJPDP) then I recommend booking a night there - its a lovely town and worth a wander and a chance to meet other pilgrims. Here is a thread that may help

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-sleep-in-saint-jean.35516/

If you are starting elsewhere have a look at the Eroski website and also booking.com to get you started.

The Route Napoleon from St Jean Pied de Port (SJPDP) to Roncesvales is closed until the 30 March, altough the alternative route via Valcarlos is a lovely walk (in good weather) and more historically correct.

Ok, great color, Kanga. Yes, we will begin in St Jean and we will book first night or two there. Perhaps we should begin the walk in early April for better weather? I'm not exactly looking for a 35 day hike in cold, wet weather.

Movinmaggie, I'm 55 and my son is 18. I'm fortunate to have a block of time available ...and blessed my son cares to join me.! Now, I just need to properly plan the adventure.

A great many thanks for your generous feedback.

Best,
Reedmont

Ok, great color, Kanga. Yes, we will begin in St Jean and we will book first night or two there. Perhaps we should begin the walk in early April for better weather? I'm not exactly looking for a 35 day hike in cold, wet weather.

Movinmaggie, I'm 55 and my son is 18. I'm fortunate to have a block of time available ...and blessed my son cares to join me.! Now, I just need to properly plan the adventure.

Best,
Reedmont
I would give anything to walk with my son, but by the time he slows down,,,,,,not sure I'll be up to it, seeing as how I am already 80. (happy to say celebrated this in Santiago in November). I wish you both a marvelous journey and Buen Camino. Let us all know how it goes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are consistently falling behind and having to take cabs consider renting bicycles. If you feel bad about riding a bit just once in a while and you have extra time to stay in Spain you could make up the lost walking mileage by continuing to Finisterre and/or Muxia or walking to Portugal from Santiago.

@Rick of Rick and Peg "falling behind" is only a problem if there is something to fall behind. The greatest pleasure of an unstructured camino for me is the freedom from any timetables. It really does take me outside and beyond normal life. My only time set goal is a return ticket.

@Reedmont weather is so unpredictable, but it is telling that the authorities have decided to keep the Route Napoleon closed until the end of March.

This is a downloadable link in the Camino Resources section to a site with records for camino weather over the last ten years - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-weather-forecast.221/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Got it. Thank you, Kanga. Yes, it is quite clear we will be walking with considerable chance of rain. Unfortunately, this is the only time slot available to us. We will push back start to April 9th and finish up May 14th. Hopefully this window will provide us with marginally better weather- at least traversing the Pyrenees.

I would give anything to walk with my son, but by the time he slows down,,,,,,not sure I'll be up to it, seeing as how I am already 80. (happy to say celebrated this in Santiago in November). I wish you both a marvelous journey and Buen Camino. Let us all know how it goes.

Belated happy birthday, Movinmaggie!

Sadly I too met people who had a company book their whole trip. An Amercan lady I walked with quite a bit was also stressed out having had her whole Camino pre planned. She ended up using taxis a lot to catch up.....

Whilst I stayed in private accomodation the whole way, I generally only booked one or two days ahead. That way I could assess what was 'doable' before committing. I found that worked really well.

Maybe these travel companies don't take into account the natural 'ramp up' that most Pilgrims generally require. I.e start with a short day and build up slowly to 'full' days over the first week....

But as everyone here advises, maintaining flexibility is the key I think, what ever accomodation options you choose. Because things change....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Reedmont if it is any comfort I walked the CF one year in April and loved it. The weather was pretty varied but I had some lovely walking days. The early spring wildflowers are a delight. Layering clothes works best.

Google steers everyone to the commercial operators. Such a pity.

Welcome Reedmont! I am also fairly new to the forum and will do my first camino May 2016. When I first started considering this journey I was certain I would go the route of using a travel guide to book my accommodations...but the more I gathered information from the fine people on this site by asking questions such as you have done and reading the many experiences that others had to offer I changed my mind - except for booking my first three nights (St. Jean, Orrison...) I quickly realized that having my accommodations booked all the way through was too expensive and the idea of being strapped to an itinerary did not sound appealing. Also the idea of staying in albergues seemed a bit of a stretch for me, but from what I have read those are some of the best experiences one should not miss! :) I feel confident now that I will be just fine. Others have assured me if I take days for rest, injury, sickness, or just wanting to look around at a certain spot I can always take a taxi or bus for a bit so that I can meet my goal of reaching Santiago by a certain date so that I can catch my flight back. Also I can opt to stay in private accommodations periodically and that it is easy enough to call ahead and make a reservation the day before.
Almost every bit of information I have in my head concerning this journey (as I had never even heard of the camino prior to last fall) has come from the people on this site. What kind of clothes are best for the camino (I knew nothing of merino wool before getting on this forum), backpack info, what to take and what is not necessary, hiking footwear, what kind of food do they have along the way, how should I train for the camino, what is it like crossing the Pyrenees, how to guard against a possible bedbug problem, why is it important to keep pack weight down, how to get a sim card in Spain for my iphone, what kind of documentation do I need for traveling to Spain, beneficial apps for my phone, different options for guide books, what kind of plug adapter to get, different options for carrying water, why one might need a headlamp, and even some suggestions on albergue etiquette!!;) I have had such a great time learning all these news thing and preparing for my journey.
How wonderful you are getting to have this experience with your son! Excellent. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I quickly realized that having my accommodations booked all the way through was too expensive and the idea of being strapped to an itinerary did not sound appealing.

OK, I am certainly no expert, and a 1 Camino wonder so far :oops:

But ....I cannot really conceive how having accommodation booked for the whole Camino up front could possibly work. It can't can it? :(

How is it possible to predict how far you will walk each day? How you will settle into the routine? What your comfortable distance will be? What injury you might sustain that requires a slower pace for a couple of days or even a rest day to recover? Or conversely that you love the walking and amaze yourself at how far you can and want to walk on some days.....

The result could only be, frustration, injury and/or needing to 'keep up' to the schedule with taxis and buses.....

Maybe there are forum members who have done this and have had a good experience that they could share ? :rolleyes:

Best,
Reedmont

Hi & Welcome @Reedmont
We walked the Camino Francés in April/May last year over 44 days from SJPdP to Santiago. The weather was absolutely brilliant - a dusting of snow over the Pyrenees, only 1 day of proper rain and 2 of drizzle along the whole Way. Fingers crossed for yours! We often booked our private accommodation ahead due to a change of circumstances with one of our group of three who ended up having her backpack transported the whole way. The only time that we had any problems with getting accommodation was in Los Arcos on a Saturday night and then the last 100kms was fairly hectic.

Suggest that you might think to book Friday/Saturday and perhaps Sunday accommodation a day or two ahead and check for any holidays or fiestas. Friends who walked with us, and stuck to our original plan of looking around each night, managed to find accommodation on arrival but did have to walk around a bit at times. We had an idea of where we might like to stay and also went on recommendations - this Forum is very useful of that! Call places up as well as we found rooms by phoning that were not visible on booking websites.

We also met several people who had their accommodation booked either by travel agents, tour companies or dedicated Camino operators. Some found themselves walking 35+km days and not being able to change their plans easily. Others discovered that accommodation was booked for 3 days in a major town and they are then bused/taxied to and from their start and end points. A surprise to them! As @Robo predicted, the imposed schedule presented its challenges. If anyone does decide to go this way, do check exactly what you are getting, most importantly the actual schedule and whether the accommodation is ongoing and not to-and-froing.

Sadly I too met people who had a company book their whole trip. An Amercan lady I walked with quite a bit was also stressed out having had her whole Camino pre planned. She ended up using taxis a lot to catch up.....

Whilst I stayed in private accomodation the whole way, I generally only booked one or two days ahead. That way I could assess what was 'doable' before committing. I found that worked really well.

Maybe these travel companies don't take into account the natural 'ramp up' that most Pilgrims generally require. I.e start with a short day and build up slowly to 'full' days over the first week....

But as everyone here advises, maintaining flexibility is the key I think, what ever accomodation options you choose. Because things change....

Robo-

Thank you. Yes, we desire private accommodations. I'll proceed as suggested.

Best,
Reedmont

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome Reedmont! I am also fairly new to the forum and will do my first camino May 2016. When I first started considering this journey I was certain I would go the route of using a travel guide to book my accommodations...but the more I gathered information from the fine people on this site by asking questions such as you have done and reading the many experiences that others had to offer I changed my mind - except for booking my first three nights (St. Jean, Orrison...) I quickly realized that having my accommodations booked all the way through was too expensive and the idea of being strapped to an itinerary did not sound appealing. Also the idea of staying in albergues seemed a bit of a stretch for me, but from what I have read those are some of the best experiences one should not miss! :) I feel confident now that I will be just fine. Others have assured me if I take days for rest, injury, sickness, or just wanting to look around at a certain spot I can always take a taxi or bus for a bit so that I can meet my goal of reaching Santiago by a certain date so that I can catch my flight back. Also I can opt to stay in private accommodations periodically and that it is easy enough to call ahead and make a reservation the day before.
Almost every bit of information I have in my head concerning this journey (as I had never even heard of the camino prior to last fall) has come from the people on this site. What kind of clothes are best for the camino (I knew nothing of merino wool before getting on this forum), backpack info, what to take and what is not necessary, hiking footwear, what kind of food do they have along the way, how should I train for the camino, what is it like crossing the Pyrenees, how to guard against a possible bedbug problem, why is it important to keep pack weight down, how to get a sim card in Spain for my iphone, what kind of documentation do I need for traveling to Spain, beneficial apps for my phone, different options for guide books, what kind of plug adapter to get, different options for carrying water, why one might need a headlamp, and even some suggestions on albergue etiquette!!;) I have had such a great time learning all these news thing and preparing for my journey.
How wonderful you are getting to have this experience with your son! Excellent. Buen Camino!

Thank you, Angie! I could not agree more as to the generosity of fellow members.

Hi & Welcome @Reedmont
We walked the Camino Francés in April/May last year over 44 days from SJPdP to Santiago. The weather was absolutely brilliant - a dusting of snow over the Pyrenees, only 1 day of proper rain and 2 of drizzle along the whole Way. Fingers crossed for yours! We often booked our private accommodation ahead due to a change of circumstances with one of our group of three who ended up having her backpack transported the whole way. The only time that we had any problems with getting accommodation was in Los Arcos on a Saturday night and then the last 100kms was fairly hectic.

Suggest that you might think to book Friday/Saturday and perhaps Sunday accommodation a day or two ahead and check for any holidays or fiestas. Friends who walked with us, and stuck to our original plan of looking around each night, managed to find accommodation on arrival but did have to walk around a bit at times. We had an idea of where we might like to stay and also went on recommendations - this Forum is very useful of that! Call places up as well as we found rooms by phoning that were not visible on booking websites.

We also met several people who had their accommodation booked either by travel agents, tour companies or dedicated Camino operators. Some found themselves walking 35+km days and not being able to change their plans easily. Others discovered that accommodation was booked for 3 days in a major town and they are then bused/taxied to and from their start and end points. A surprise to them! As @Robo predicted, the imposed schedule presented its challenges. If anyone does decide to go this way, do check exactly what you are getting, most importantly the actual schedule and whether the accommodation is ongoing and not to-and-froing.

Thank you, Wokabaut_Meri. I'll keep my fingers crossed - and say my prayers- for kind weather. Sharp thought about the weekend bookings. We'll determine our 'cruising speed' the first few days out and plan accordingly. Excellent.

Reedmont if I may make a suggestions for your Camino notebook, that you jot down 'Pilgrim House' in Santiago. I'm going by memory here (that could be tricky), but I'm certain the address is 19 Rua Nova. Not to be confused with the Pilgrim Office, Pilgrim House is more like a hospitality centre for pilgrims. Faith and Nate (and a super staff) offer many services. You can just hang out, fix a cup of tea, and catch up on emails. They also offer a few evenings a week whereby pilgrims gather and share their experiences. They can also assist you with any ticket printing you might need. A welcoming spot indeed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reedmont if I may make a suggestions for your Camino notebook, that you jot down 'Pilgrim House' in Santiago. I'm going by memory here (that could be tricky), but I'm certain the address is 19 Rua Nova. Not to be confused with the Pilgrim Office, Pilgrim House is more like a hospitality centre for pilgrims. Faith and Nate (and a super staff) offer many services. You can just hang out, fix a cup of tea, and catch up on emails. They also offer a few evenings a week whereby pilgrims gather and share their experiences. They can also assist you with any ticket printing you might need. A welcoming spot indeed.

Duly noted! Thank you, Movinmaggie

For me the Camino while staying in albergues is like a trip back in time to Summer Camp or Boarding School. Those were great times in my life, as is the time I spend on the Camino. Such great laughs to be had in albergues with fellow pilgrims.

For me, one of the joys of the camino is allowing the universe to unfold as it will. That includes trusting that it will provide what I need. Pre-booking everything would, for me, remove any chance for that to happen.
It just then becomes a nice holiday with sore feet.

I walked the EPW last year where all lodging was pre-booked, and my biggest frustration was with the fixed number of kilometres to negotiate each day, whether it was to walk them or figure out transport. Never again!

As others have suggested, enlist the help of your accommodation's host to book a day or two in advance as you move along, when you've had a chance to see what your pace is.

Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, NorthernLight. I think we are all in agreement that I will not pre-book the entire trip.
For me, one of the joys of the camino is allowing the universe to unfold as it will. That includes trusting that it will provide what I need. Pre-booking everything would, for me, remove any chance for that to happen.
It just then becomes a nice holiday with sore feet.

I walked the EPW last year where all lodging was pre-booked, and my biggest frustration was with the fixed number of kilometres to negotiate each day, whether it was to walk them or figure out transport. Never again!

As others have suggested, enlist the help of your accommodation's host to book a day or two in advance as you move along, when you've had a chance to see what your pace is.

Buen camino!

I do something different from what most people recommend. I prebook everything before I arrive in Spain. A combo of private albergues and casas rurales, etc. This came about because on my first Camino, when I booked just a day or two ahead, I found myself wishing I didn't have that chore to do every day on top of all our other daily chores, preferring to spend more time to relax and visit with fellow pilgrims. I now know what my comfortable distance is, which is an average of 16 km a day, so I don't find myself feeling I can't keep up with the distance. Fortunately, I've never had a Camino injury (not even a blister!) that has affected my ability to walk my planned distance each day. After walking the CF three times, I know where I want to stop and where to stay, although I mix it up from year to year. Yes, I give up the spontaneity of changing my itinerary, but for me, it enhances the simplicity of my Camino experience, and it's a worthwhile trade off.

Hello Reedmont, my husband and I walked the first half of the Camino last autumn, booking small private accommodations as we went. We will return to walk the second half this spring and I have booked each night from home using booking.com. We have confidence in the distance we can walk each day and therefore I have no worries about advance booking. We are seniors and I like the idea of a private space to rest and relax as well as a private shower. I was pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost of most places.
Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally, by the end of the day, I'm so tired a could sleep on a bed of large pointy rocks. Buen Camino

But ....I cannot really conceive how having accommodation booked for the whole Camino up front could possibly work. It can't can it? :(
I think it probably can, @Robo. I know at least one person who has done this, and didn't have any particular issues about doing the distances, etc. I haven't quizzed her in detail since she got back, but I am going to ask her to speak to the Canberra Friends about at one of our meetings soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think it probably can, @Robo. I know at least one person who has done this, and didn't have any particular issues about doing the distances, etc. I haven't quizzed her in detail since she got back, but I am going to ask her to speak to the Canberra Friends about at one of our meetings soon.

That's great that it worked for her. Maybe you could get her to post about the experience ? ;)

That's great that it worked for her. Maybe you could get her to post about the experience ? ;)
I can ask, but if I recall it correctly, the treatment she got here when she was asking about this before her trip might not make her inclined to do that now.

I can ask, but if I recall it correctly, the treatment she got here when she was asking about this before her trip might not make her inclined to do that now.

Oh. That's sad to hear :( I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know how it can work well (including me). There are lots of people who can't walk the Camino 'unassisted' for whatever reason.

I can think of a few friends who would probably try it in 'pre planned' mode.

The 'purists' can be a bit vocal at times can't they? :oops:

I'm reminded of one of the key lessons that many Pilgrims claim to have learned walking the Camino. Don't be too quick to judge :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 'purists' can be a bit vocal at times can't they?
That's true. But it's also very easy to be overly sensitive. That's understandable especially for a newcomer who might not have a lot of experience on internet forums. I expect I could easily react the same way. But it's hard for the forum to keep freedom of opinions, fun and informality, and at the same time be very proper.

I do something different from what most people recommend. I prebook everything before I arrive in Spain. A combo of private albergues and casas rurales, etc. This came about because on my first Camino, when I booked just a day or two ahead, I found myself wishing I didn't have that chore to do every day on top of all our other daily chores, preferring to spend more time to relax and visit with fellow pilgrims. I now know what my comfortable distance is, which is an average of 16 km a day, so I don't find myself feeling I can't keep up with the distance. Fortunately, I've never had a Camino injury (not even a blister!) that has affected my ability to walk my planned distance each day. After walking the CF three times, I know where I want to stop and where to stay, although I mix it up from year to year. Yes, I give up the spontaneity of changing my itinerary, but for me, it enhances the simplicity of my Camino experience, and it's a worthwhile trade off.

Thank you, lbpierce.

Hello Reedmont, my husband and I walked the first half of the Camino last autumn, booking small private accommodations as we went. We will return to walk the second half this spring and I have booked each night from home using booking.com. We have confidence in the distance we can walk each day and therefore I have no worries about advance booking. We are seniors and I like the idea of a private space to rest and relax as well as a private shower. I was pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost of most places.
Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, Hetty we love would like the private accommodations, but I think the time of year we'll be walking should not prove difficult in securing rooms. I also think, perhaps, after a week or so in the trail we may be more comfortable in our ability to go the daily distances we have allocated ourselves. A great many thanks for your contribution.

The next puzzle is finding flights - we're departing USA. Planes, trains and automobiles. Anyone care to chime in or is that another chat room? My apologies for the multiple asks. This forum is incredibly insightful. Thanks to all!

Then it's true……third time's a charm! I'm sure it gives you piece of mind knowing all is in order and you can relax and enjoy. And it certainly helps when you know what your mileage capability is now that you've done it a couple of times. I walked the CF pretty much 'by the seat of my pants' with no problems, but thinking about a different trail in 2017. Buen Camino.

I walked the Camino Frances in 2013 (September/October) and I booked only the first two nights - Saint Jean Pied de Port and Roncenvalles - just to find my feet... after that I would decide day-by-day what distance and where to for 1 or 2 days ahead and would then look on-line for accommodation or using the John Brieley Guide book. This allowed me to stay longer if I saw a place I liked or needed to rest. Like you I wondered if the accommodation would be a problem but wanted to be flexible. I had no problem finding places to stay - I preferred a single room but sometimes I stayed in the small aubergues - it is good sometimes to mix it around - the communual evening meals are all part of the journey and you meet great people. I had no problems at all finding somewhere to stay and some were really nice. I found that cafes often have rooms. As everyone says - The Way will work for you. I am walking the Way again this year and will do the same thing. Just book the first two nights and then see what I feel like each day.
Good Luck

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, Hetty we love would like the private accommodations, but I think the time of year we'll be walking should not prove difficult in securing rooms. I also think, perhaps, after a week or so in the trail we may be more comfortable in our ability to go the daily distances we have allocated ourselves. A great many thanks for your contribution.

The next puzzle is finding flights - we're departing USA. Planes, trains and automobiles. Anyone care to chime in or is that another chat room? My apologies for the multiple asks. This forum is incredibly insightful. Thanks to all!
Holy cow the planes, trains and automobiles part is OVERWHELMING.. I have spent HUNDREDS of hours researching and I am no closer to booking. I am flying out of LAX 6/10/16 returning 7/10/16 I want to get there as efficiently and the least painfully as possible. I love the idea of Paris to adjust from jet lag but price is NOT appreciably better/worse and I still need to consider train/bus/taxi=time continuum. I think Madrid/Pamplona +Corazon Puro makes the best sense to me. Would prefer to avoid Iberia (bad experience-bad reviews-miserable customer service-even more miserable seats-comfort ETC.) Dont want to go to Istanbul thus no go on Turkish so I am pondering Lufthansa.. HELP PLEASE Also, I want to go straight to Europe VS going to Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Atlanta!! Thanks friends!

That's true. But it's also very easy to be overly sensitive. That's understandable especially for a newcomer who might not have a lot of experience on internet forums. I expect I could easily react the same way. But it's hard for the forum to keep freedom of opinions, fun and informality, and at the same time be very proper.
I joined the forum about 11 months ago. At that time, any poster asking about private accomm or baggage transport got jumped on with both feet. I even got a pretty full on PM for daring to support one of the posters. Things have mellowed a lot since then.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.