• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving a bed

Kennedy1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - May & June 2013
Camino Finisterre and Camino Muxia - June 2013
My wife and I are thinking about walking the CF next year. We have both walked it separately before, my wife in 2012 and myself in 2013. I am a much faster walker than my wife. If I arrive at an albergue before my wife will they allow me to pay for both myself and my wife who would arrive an hour or two later. My intention is to walk most days with her but there will be times when we both might want to walk by ourselves.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The municipal albergue in Burgos would not let us book and pay for a bed for our friend even though she was due to arrive by train within the hour - I think it had something to do with their very strict record keeping. But they must have saved a bed for her because when she arrived she was given the empty bed in the bunk next to ours. (I believe this was the kindness of the hospitaleros. Bless their hearts!)

I think in the private albergues, it is a different story. There were three of us traveling this past spring (at least after Burgos) and whoever got to the albergue first, booked and paid for beds for those of us who would arrive later - perhaps it had something to do with booking private rooms in the private albergues, which is what we tended to do, and some of this was done by phoning ahead. I do not know how it works in the dormatorios of private albergues.

Hope this helps.

The general rule is the most private albergues is that they will let you reserve a bed in advance.

More so if you are arrive before your wife, they will gladly take your money for as many beds they have available, so you can pay for wife in advance and you and have the comfort of knowing she has a bed. Depending on the room and bed arrangement you may need to claim her bed in anycase by putting some stuff on it.

Public albergues are different - it is generally first come, first served.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's exactly what I found. Municipal albergues will not let you hold a bed, but almost all private places will let you pay for your wife to hold a bed :) buen camino!

I was told that if you brought the other persons pilgrim passport with you that even the Municipal albergues will allow you to book the second person. Can anyone verify that.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My experience is (as said above) in a PRIVATE albergue, they will let you pay for an extra bed.
In the municipals, they will not.
First ones there get the bed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was told that if you brought the other persons pilgrim passport with you that even the Municipal albergues will allow you to book the second person. Can anyone verify that.
My experience with municipal albergues was that the person seeking the bed had to be present.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you check the Mundicamino or Eroski sites, albergues are identified by operator.
Hi Falcon .... I've just been looking at the lodgings on the Mundicamino site and trying to decipher which albergues are private and which are municipal. Can't seem to work out what from what! Senior moment perhaps? Help :( Trish xx

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hello trish,

as suggested and mentioned by falcon, colin and others, the eroski guide do mention the operators, but not all the operators in the locality. when you arrive at the pilgrim office in sjpp, you can ask for a list of all the operators and it will tell you whether it is private (casa rural, hostal particular, b&b, pension) or public (albergue municipal, donativo-not necessary private, xunta de galicia, albergue del peregrino, monasterio, etc). in many cases, the big puebblos tourist will also have a most up-to-date of what is available from their pueblos onward to sdc.

buen camino.

alb

Last edited:
Hi Falcon .... I've just been looking at the lodgings on the Mundicamino site and trying to decipher which albergues are private and which are municipal. Can't seem to work out what from what! Senior moment perhaps? Help :( Trish xx
Example:
Albergue de Ventosa San Saturnino
Town: Ventosa - (La Rioja)
ventosa2.jpg

Description: This village is located to 10 Km of Navarrete, the refuge is very well equiped.

It is open all the day Address: Medio Pereda, 9. Ventosa
Web: www.jacobeos.net
Email: ventosa@jacobeos.net
Availability: It is open all the year
Prize: The price is 6 €
Seats: 30 seats in bunk beds
Category: It is a private shelter

hello trish,

as suggested and mentioned by falcon, colin and others, the eroski guide do mention the operators, but not all the operators in the locality. when you arrive at the pilgrim office in sjpp, you can ask for a list of all the operators and it will tell you whether it is private (casa rural, hostal particular, b&b, pension) or public (albergue municipal, donativo-not necessary private, xunta de galicia, albergue del peregrino, monasterio, etc). in many cases, the big puebblos tourist will also habve a most up-to-date of what is available from their pueblos onward to sdc.

buen camino.

alb
That's great. Thanks for your help. xx

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Example:
Albergue de Ventosa San Saturnino
Town: Ventosa - (La Rioja)
ventosa2.jpg

Description: This village is located to 10 Km of Navarrete, the refuge is very well equiped.

It is open all the day Address: Medio Pereda, 9. Ventosa
Web: www.jacobeos.net
Email: ventosa@jacobeos.net
Availability: It is open all the year
Prize: The price is 6 €
Seats: 30 seats in bunk beds
Category: It is a private shelter
Cheers Falcon .... that's great xx

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back