• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving Albergues...yes or no?

Belinda Lozano

Time of past OR future Camino
6/10/15
Hi there!

I hope someone with experience in walking the Camino Frances in June can help me. I'm going to start in Ponferrada on June 14 and was wondering if I need to make reservations now at albergues? Or can I just be a walk in? What should I do? I really want to listen to my body. I'm not sure if I'll do 10 miles or 12. I kinda wanted to be flexible about my walk.

Bel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Then don't reserve. If you want to be sure to have a bed where you want, then reserving is a good idea. Just a day ahead will be enough. You cannot have total flexibility and total security. :)
Ok so it does get that crowded. If there's a chance I may not have a bed I'd rather reserve ahead of time then. I just don't know if I'll make the distance I planned for daily. My body can be unpredictable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok so it does get that crowded. If there's a chance I may not have a bed I'd rather reserve ahead of time then. I just don't know if I'll make the distance I planned for daily. My body can be unpredictable.
What is the best way to make a reservation? Email? Online?

No need to make reservations now at albergues. Like falcon said, if you have a phone and can call ahead when you know which town you are stopping in, sure, that's a good idea. Mind you the reservations are only available at the private albergues.
Also I do recommend a private albergue/hostel in Ponferrada. Albergue Alea. It's run by two gracious ladies. They have a website and I'm sure they take reservations.

Hi Belinda,

I only ever book somewhere for the day I fly in and reach where I'm beginning my Camino. always nice to arrive with the peace of mind that you have a bed already arranged.

I always stay in hotels in the big cities for security and a treat... (each to their own)

Enjoy your planning :)
Buen Camino
Bryan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... I'm going to start in Ponferrada on June 14 and was wondering if I need to make reservations now at albergues? Or can I just be a walk in? What should I do? I really want to listen to my body. I'm not sure if I'll do 10 miles or 12. I kinda wanted to be flexible about my walk. ...

Reserve your first night, especially if you arrive latish in the day and might be jet lagged.

Just call ahead the same day, a few hours, just to check up on the situation.

What is the best way to make a reservation? Email? Online?

Phone!

Buen Camino! SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
No need to make reservations now at albergues. Like falcon said, if you have a phone and can call ahead when you know which town you are stopping in, sure, that's a good idea. Mind you the reservations are only available at the private albergues.
Also I do recommend a private albergue/hostel in Ponferrada. Albergue Alea. It's run by two gracious ladies. They have a website and I'm sure they take reservations.
Thanks so much mark I will take your advice. Alea was the one I had chosen from my books and research. Thanks so much for your kindness!

Bel

Reserve your first night, especially if you arrive latish in the day and might be jet lagged.

Just call ahead the same day, a few hours, just to check up on the situation.

Phone!

Buen Camino! SY
Thanks SY! I'll do just that! Can't wait!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did a mix of reservations (made on the day) and just walk ins. If you are ok with maybe having to check a couple alberques, walk to the next town, perhaps not stay in an alberque but maybe a hostal or casa rural some nights, then no need to reserve - if you can be flexible, then you're fine. And like people have said, you can't reserve at municipal alberques anyway, only the private ones. But if you really want to stay at a specific place or really need that structure, then call ahead to reserve. From what I have heard from others, the real issues finding beds happen when people walk long distances each day so that they arrive in towns fairly late after most pilgrims have already gotten beds and those who really want to only stay in municipal alberques. If you aren't walking until late and you can be flexible, I think its fine not to reserve.

My strategy was to check my guide book to see what was coming up - which towns, about how many beds were listed in each town, how far apart the towns were - and come up with an idea of about where I might want to stop. If it looked like there was a lot of space in a particular town that I wanted to stop in, then I didn't reserve anything - or if there were several towns relatively close to one another and I didn't really care where I stopped, then I just went and figured I'd find something somewhere. But if options looked fairly limited or if I really wanted to stay at a particular place, then I called ahead (or in a couple cases, went online and reserved a hotel room as a splurge).

I saw an earlier thread indicating there was a Guide to all the Albergues, making it easier to have info to phone ahead, BUT ….now I cannot find it. I know explicit publications cannot be stated in the threads, but if someone doesn't mind a personal contact, it would be helpful. Anyone?

I know explicit publications cannot be stated in the threads
I don't think this is true - people are naming publications and accommodation all the time. You are not supposed to advertise on the threads, but reviews are welcome. There are various published guides with phone numbers of many albergues, but there is no single "ONE" that is guaranteed to have them all. There is a list handed out at the pilgrim's office in St. Jean. There is also a list here on the forum site under Resources https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know of a pilgrim couple who did not call ahead. She was pregnant. When they got to their destination, they could not find a place. They ended up finding a place in a barn and slept with the cows and sheep. She had her baby there. I guess one can always find a place.

I recently made reservations for every place I'll be stopping at for my summer Camino, though most are for hostales.

It has the benefit of giving you relaxed stages as you know you'll have a bed for you until a certain cut-off time. But it is very limiting too as it does not take into account days you'll be feeling full of energy and want to walk on and days you feel really tired or in pain with blisters etc so want a short stage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks; I see there are several compilations now of guides to Albergues for Camino Frances. Would any seasoned pilgrims know which would be the most recent? I still cannot find the message I had first seen a a couple of weeks ago. Someone else had the same question and the responder alluded to a 'well known' Camino writer who had written a guide, but didn't want to break any rules, so suggested she send him a personal message so he could advise her where to find it - so I assumed it was something published and sold to the public. And good for him for wanting to do the right thing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know of a pilgrim couple who did not call ahead. She was pregnant. When they got to their destination, they could not find a place. They ended up finding a place in a barn and slept with the cows and sheep. She had her baby there. I guess one can always find a place.
Mind you that WAS at Christmastime and that's always a busy time in the hotel business . . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back