• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving at Casa da Fernanda

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I've read many people speaking glowingly of Casa da Fernanda but also pointing out the need to reserve ahead. A few questions on reserving:

How should one contact them to reserve? By phone or by email? If by phone, am I likely to get someone who speaks a language other than Portuguese? My English is very good; my Spanish is intermediate; I could probably make do in French in a pinch, but my Portuguese is almost non-existent. By email, I can at least use a translator app.

How long in advance do I need to reserve? In the morming? The day before? Several days in advance? Longer? The less lead time I need, the more flexible I can be with my walking. But I'd hate to miss the experience because it was full when I tried to make my reservation.

I'll be walking in early October, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
English is spoken. You can reach them by phone or email (if you don't have their contact details let me know and I can post them – I'm just not at my computer at the moment).

As for how far in advance to book, by early October the Portugués won't be quite as busy. However, I strongly suggest you simply write to them now and inquire. Get their recommendation.

Good luck with your planning.

@Albertinho is the forum member who has had the most contact with Casa Fernanda. see his posts for telephone number etc. Fernanda herself speaks excellent English and will take a booking by 'phone. Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've read many people speaking glowingly of Casa da Fernanda but also pointing out the need to reserve ahead. A few questions on reserving:

How should one contact them to reserve? By phone or by email? If by phone, am I likely to get someone who speaks a language other than Portuguese? My English is very good; my Spanish is intermediate; I could probably make do in French in a pinch, but my Portuguese is almost non-existent. By email, I can at least use a translator app.

How long in advance do I need to reserve? In the morming? The day before? Several days in advance? Longer? The less lead time I need, the more flexible I can be with my walking. But I'd hate to miss the experience because it was full when I tried to make my reservation.

I'll be walking in early October, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

David,
This is a brilliant place to stay.

As regards your questions you are likely to get many, many suggestions, notes of guidance and helpful suggestions.

My, perhaps not very helpful suggestion is, phone them now and ask the same questions. I truly hope you get the chance to stay there, it wasvery special for me.

(Bom (experiencing Casa Fernanda) Camhino

I stayed there in mid June 2016. I did not have a reservation but arrived there early afternoon and it very soon filled up. from memory there are only about 20 beds.
It was a unique experience and I would say it is the best albergue in Portugal.

We stayed there April last year. I called 3 months in advance to book, and she kept a bed for us even though the place was crowded - she allowed people who arrived really late and tired to take a shower and sleep on those pool-type long chairs in the garden (there is no pool, but there were long chairs).

The dinner was among the best meals I had in my life, with all the people singing the Titanic song with all their lungs. Btw, Fernanda loves Celine Dion.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
with all the people singing the Titanic song with all their lungs. Btw, Fernanda loves Celine Dion.

When you said everyone was singing the Titanic song, my mind immediately went to the campfire song that begins "Oh, they built the ship Titanic to sail the ocean blue..." I guess it is a generational difference. :)

David, I hope you don't mind my using your thread to highlight a sensitive matter that is related to Casa Fernanda as I am sure that many other pilgrims are following this. In earlier threads about this albergue @Albertinho, who has stayed there many times and knows Fernanda and her husband well, wrote that some pilgrims were assuming that because this is a donativo albergue, donations were optional or minimal despite Fernanda providing beds, showers, evening meal (and all drinks) and breakfast. As with all donativos - which I am embarrassed to say I didn't understand when I walked the CF in 2015 - those pilgrims who can afford to do so give more to ensure that those walking the Camino with straitened finances can give what they can afford.

some pilgrims were assuming that because this is a donativo albergue, donations were optional or minimal despite Fernanda providing beds, showers, evening meal (and all drinks) and breakfast.

For everything she provides, not leaving a good donation when you can afford it would be a shame!
I actually gave her way more than I paid to some private inns.
Ah, and for people staying there: just put the money directly into the donation box. If you give it to her, she will politely refuse. Avoid that and give this wonderful woman what she really deserves :)

When you said everyone was singing the Titanic song, my mind immediately went to the campfire song that begins "Oh, they built the ship Titanic to sail the ocean blue..." I guess it is a generational difference.

I have a non-English speaking background, so maybe that's why I don't know the campifire one ;)
At least I know about the real ship... I get shocked with all the people younger than me that ask "omg, is this movie really based in a true story?"

By any chance, does anyone in this forum know Celine Dion personally? Because Fernanda talked so passionately about her that every now and then I think about trying to make the two of them meet :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David, my advice is book now. There are only 14 beds. And everything you have heard is true. And there is no WiFi. So if you need to answer lots of “important” emails don’t go there! and though Fernanda takes reservations this extraordinary woman finds an occasional pilgrim passing who needs her love and care.
It was my privilege to be joined at Fernanda’s dinner table by one such young polish girl who sang for us. Such a divine voice. She was heaven sent, probably had very little money, but she brought a gift to our Camino meal that was more priceless than gold.
And it is Fernanda’s gift that she can recognise these pilgrims as they pass by.
And then the memory of Fernanda and her husband and their daughter making music for us.

We stayed with Fernanda in early May this year. One of my best experiences from two Caminos...in all ways. Booked about 3 days in advance (by phone), and yes, Fernanda speaks excellent English. She also is the embodiment of generosity and Camino hospitality. Just one caution...if you aren't a fan of boisterous music (Abba in our case....the choice of the Swedish contingent) and gleeful after dinner dancing, then you may want to make a different lodging choice. ;-)

I've been trying to call Fernanda to make reservations, however, my UK number doesn't allow to make the call. Is there another way of getting ahold?
The number I have for Casa de Fernanda is +351 914 589 521

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
English is spoken. You can reach them by phone or email (if you don't have their contact details let me know and I can post them – I'm just not at my computer at the moment).

As for how far in advance to book, by early October the Portugués won't be quite as busy. However, I strongly suggest you simply write to them now and inquire. Get their recommendation.

Is it possible to get their email address? For some reason I can't call the number off my UK cell phone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David, my advice is book now. There are only 14 beds. And everything you have heard is true. And there is no WiFi. So if you need to answer lots of “important” emails don’t go there! and though Fernanda takes reservations this extraordinary woman finds an occasional pilgrim passing who needs her love and care.
It was my privilege to be joined at Fernanda’s dinner table by one such young polish girl who sang for us. Such a divine voice. She was heaven sent, probably had very little money, but she brought a gift to our Camino meal that was more priceless than gold.
And it is Fernanda’s gift that she can recognise these pilgrims as they pass by.
And then the memory of Fernanda and her husband and their daughter making music for us.

They will not book now. I contacted them a week or so ago and she told me to call only when two days out.

Well, I made my reservation. As it turns out, I should be arriving on the day of my 55th birthday.

How? As when I emailed two weeks ago, she replied to contact her only when two days out? Please PM me?

Well, I made my reservation. As it turns out, I should be arriving on the day of my 55th birthday.
Hello David,
Did you email . I would like to stay there on Saturday the 25 th . How did u make your reservations? I wrote Albertinho some weeks ago but got no reply.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We tried calling but no answer. Could send me her email. I am not sure how to access private message on this forum,

I finally got a response by sending a text message to the phone number +351 914 589 521 ( be sure to use '00' for the + sign before the number if you are texting from somewhere other than Portugal. ) I did not ever get a response from emails. I'm reasonably sure they are extremely busy, so a bit of patience with the process is necessary. ( I also understand the anxiety ) , likewise if you need to get in with reservation in two days, I would, instead call immediately. They do both speak English. Pay attention to the times that you are placing your calls...

Hello David,
Did you email . I would like to stay there on Saturday the 25 th . How did u make your reservations? I wrote Albertinho some weeks ago but got no reply.
I did email, because I was doing so from Canada and that way I didn't have to worry about time distances or long distance charges. It took a while to get an answer. Actually, I was just about to give up and call when I got the response. Most people I've seen recommend a telephone call as the most effective way of communicating with them. I only emailed because I figured I had plenty of time.

€60,-
Can anyone tell me when or if she closes for the season? The experiences sounds reminiscent to some of the great trail angel hostels on the US long trails. We'll be walking late this month (October).

Hello there
Can you please give me the email address for Fernanda? We are a pair of 80 year olds and would feel more comfortable being booked ahead rather than just turning up and hoping to get a bed.
Thanks
Alan

Hello there
Can you please give me the email address for Fernanda? We are a pair of 80 year olds and would feel more comfortable being booked ahead rather than just turning up and hoping to get a bed.
Thanks
Alan
Email address sent by DM because I know the moderators prefer not to have email addresses publicly posted.

You definitely want to reserve ahead for Casa da Fernanda.

If email isn't working you can enlist @Albertinho to help in getting a reservation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello there
Thanks
Alan
Send me a personal coversation ( click on my avatar and “ start conversation “) and write me your name and country you are from ( your from Scotland I see but for others ) and the number of persons who want a bed because Fernanda notes in here diary that she expects people from…. and the day of arrival.

Fernanda is a very busy person , next to her privat albergue,caring for 20 people a day , making the beds, cleaning , cooking etc she cares for people in the hamlet she lives , a.o.relatives and neighbours so there is not much time to read email or conent from other social media.

you could give her a ring but the chance is there that she does not answer it due to all work, mentioned above.

I am in contact with the family several times a week by Whatapp . I have the mobile number of her husband but for reasons the number is secret.
so if you want to contact Casa da Fernanda and you cannot come through by telephone, send me your little info - name, number of people , country -day of arrival and most of the time I get an answer back within some hours if a reservation has been made or not as last week because the albergue was complete.

I am not a travel agency but we are just friends , this happened now 10 years ago when we just like so many others stayed in their home and since then we have been there many times. By then I was starting learning Portuguese and communicating with them was a great help to improve my writing- and speaking skills .
In the mean time I speak ( Brasilian) Portuguese fluently and help Portuguese speaking people by teaching my native language Dutch to them.

with the scarce time Fernanda and Jacinto have, they always find a few minutes to face time us with birthdays and celebrations. That’s in short the story so be welcome to contact me when you cannot reach Casa da Fernanda.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back