• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving beds for the first few nights

dollytz

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances September 2016
How is this done please? I don't want to have to pay international bank charges for such small sums as the charges will be more than the cost of the night's stay. I want to book the initial stay in SJPD then the next 2 nights, after that I'll take what I can get until I'm close to the finishing post then, € permitting, I'll splurge! Thanks for any advice

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can book your lodging in SJPP and pay when you arrive.
You can book your lodging at the albergue in Roncesvalles and pay via Paypal. I paid €13 per bed.
You can book your lodging in Zubiri, depending on where you'll stay, and pay upon arrival, but you better do it soon, as lodging is filling up.

Huh? You can book the albergue in Roncesvalles? Really?? The big one? (Is there any other...) @Anniesantiago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did not now that :) I just thought it was a municipal and therefor not possible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can book your lodging at the albergue in Roncesvalles and pay via Paypal. I paid €13 per bed.
You can book your lodging in Zubiri, depending on where you'll stay, and pay upon arrival, but you better do it soon, as lodging is filling up.
Is lodging filling up for April to early May?

Booking is (so i learned today:) ) possible, but really not needed. If, for peace of mind, you really want to, one or two days in advance is fine.

If you do, check until what time they will hold your bed for you, before giving it to antoher tired pilgrim.

For april/may there will be plenty of beds free for all who arrive. I cant imagine the albergue will be full at that time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Or, if you are a planner like me, and need the motivation to meet your mileage you just book ahead. I am traveling Sarria to Finesterre in June and have booked the whole thing already on booking.com. They have a great phone app. You can cancel 24hrs ahead and for me it takes the worry about getting a bed out of the equation. Especially in a Holy year. Not sure how busy it will be and I am a slow walker :)

Sarria to Sdc can be busy, although i doubt you will have real trouble finding a bed without a reservation. I never have in busy september periods.

SdC to Finisterre is not a very crowded camino like the Frances.
I always get the idea that, from the start, 90% of the pilgrims (camino frances walkers) say they will walk all the way to the end of the world, but as soon as they arrive in Santiago, they are done for all sorts of reasons. So also for this camino, booking ahead is not essential, but as always, if it brings peace of mind, go for it :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
How is this done please? I don't want to have to pay international bank charges for such small sums as the charges will be more than the cost of the night's stay. I want to book the initial stay in SJPD then the next 2 nights, after that I'll take what I can get until I'm close to the finishing post then, € permitting, I'll splurge! Thanks for any advice
I booked ahead for first few nights at hostals and paid cash what I got there Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Annie, when you say lodging is filling up, for when, the whole spring and summer? I did not see a specific date you were commenting on. Just when I stop worrying...

Annie, when you say lodging is filling up, for when, the whole spring and summer? I did not see a specific date you were commenting on. Just when I stop worrying...

I'm sorry. I don't mean to cause alarm.
It's just that I make reservations for my folks a few months before hand and this year I'm noticing that more of the private lodging I usually book is nearly full already for my dates between May 15 and June 2.
So if you plan on BOOKING lodging, I'd say get to it now.

I just think it's going to be a busy summer.
If you are staying in albergues, (if it were me), I would stick some extra days into my schedule and walk shorter stages so I'm sure to get a bed each night.
I'd also walk "between" the Brierley stages as most of the people will be following his book like it's written in stone.

But honestly, I wouldn't otherwise worry.
You WILL get a bed, and if you don't, the next village is a short taxi or bus ride away.
Just go, and ignore me. lol!

I booked my first three nights: the first night in Madrid after we land. They took a credit card, but will not charge it until after I arrive. I could also choose to pay in cash when I arrive. In SJPdP, I made a reservation, no credit card needed, just my contact information and when I expect to arrive. I will pay in Euros when I get there. The only place I pre-paid was in Orisson. They asked for half of the payment for a deposit. I paid via PayPal.
I don't think you will have a problem with making reservations and international fees. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm preaching to myself when I say that too.....don't worry. The Camino will provide.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm sorry. I don't mean to cause alarm.
It's just that I make reservations for my folks a few months before hand and this year I'm noticing that more of the private lodging I usually book is nearly full already for my dates between May 15 and June 2.
So if you plan on BOOKING lodging, I'd say get to it now.

I just think it's going to be a busy summer.
If you are staying in albergues, (if it were me), I would stick some extra days into my schedule and walk shorter stages so I'm sure to get a bed each night.
I'd also walk "between" the Brierley stages as most of the people will be following his book like it's written in stone.

But honestly, I wouldn't otherwise worry.
You WILL get a bed, and if you don't, the next village is a short taxi or bus ride away.
Just go, and ignore me. lol!
Oh NO, I will not be ignoring you, I have gleaned a great deal of useful info from your posts. I have already recovered from the idea of following Brierley to the letter, Mainly cuz I don't see me making it to his goal stops, and I will enjoy the space if I am left behind by the throngs in a quaint quiet village!! Just got a Village by Village guide, so I am feeling more secure about not going to the places that everyone knows! Thanks again, shannon

I booked my first three nights: the first night in Madrid after we land. They took a credit card, but will not charge it until after I arrive. I could also choose to pay in cash when I arrive. In SJPdP, I made a reservation, no credit card needed, just my contact information and when I expect to arrive. I will pay in Euros when I get there. The only place I pre-paid was in Orisson. They asked for half of the payment for a deposit. I paid via PayPal.
I don't think you will have a problem with making reservations and international fees. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm preaching to myself when I say that too.....don't worry. The Camino will provide.
I will be arriving in Madrid on Apr 12th. Where are you staying in Madrid and what transportation have you booked to get to SJDP?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I have walked the CF twice. The only place we pre booked was the albergue in Orisson. Both times we never lacked a place to sleep, and it was at the busiest time of year. Just be flexible.
Having said that, this year I am avoiding the crowds and will be walking the VdlP

I will be arriving in Madrid on Apr 12th. Where are you staying in Madrid and what transportation have you booked to get to SJDP?

We decided to stay at Mediodia Hotel which is across the street from the Atocha train station.

Transportation to SJPdP - We will take the train from Atocha to Pamplona and from there share taxi to SJPdP. (You can do it a variety of ways....some take bus from the airport, some take a taxi the whole way, some take the train to Pamplona like we are, but choose to take the bus to SJPdP) We have enough of a group to make it cheaper to take a taxi.
Hope that helps!

Thanks folks, I've just received a PayPal invoice from orisson for €37, I'd better get signed up to PayPal. I'll now check with roncesvalles re paypal. Set off is still a while away but it's becoming real now

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We decided to stay at Mediodia Hotel which is across the street from the Atocha train station.

Transportation to SJPdP - We will take the train from Atocha to Pamplona and from there share taxi to SJPdP. (You can do it a variety of ways....some take bus from the airport, some take a taxi the whole way, some take the train to Pamplona like we are, but choose to take the bus to SJPdP) We have enough of a group to make it cheaper to take a taxi.
Hope that helps!

It helped very much, we are booked and ready to go!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back