• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving bunk bed with Whatsapp

nchiker

Time of past OR future Camino
I have not used WhatsApp before. I am trying to see if a bed is available on requested date. I used the WhatsApp helper function to translate my request automatically. I sent the request - how do you know if the request went through? I have tried adding albergue to contact list and without. I looked at chat history and nothing is listed. Any help would be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The message you sent might have gone through, but that's not a guarantee that it was actually read by anyone at the albergue you sent it to - not all places use WhatsApp to check messages. If you haven't heard back in a couple of days, I'd try finding an email address on the albergue's website and resending your request that way. (Of course, calling is the most direct way to make a reservation - but if you don't speak Spanish that might not be the best option. And there's always Booking.com, though most places will appreciate booking with them directly.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used the WhatsApp helper function to translate my request automatically.
What is this "helper"? I don't see it as part of my WhatsApp app.

I googled it and there seems to be another app (not part of the actual WhatsApp) that allows one to not save the contact, but I couldn't find any useful review of the app that indicates if it is a good thing to use.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I googled it and there seems to be another app (not part of the actual WhatsApp) that allows one to not save the contact, but I couldn't find any useful review of the app that indicates if it is a good thing to use.
The Wise Pilgrim Camino Frances app has an option to use WhatsApp helper when communicating with an albergue for reservations. If you select legend when first open WPCF app, details are given for WhatsApp and WhatsApp helper. I don’t know if it was written into their app- I am currently new to using WhatsApp.

Example:
41B738D1-0D20-4BA6-8558-BB8E18E06B24.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
WhatsApp is an essential app for the Camino ... Especially for keeping in touch with all the new friends you're going to make while walking. Don't leave home without it, so to speak.

I have not used WhatsApp before. I am trying to see if a bed is available on requested date. I used the WhatsApp helper function to translate my request automatically. I sent the request - how do you know if the request went through? I have tried adding albergue to contact list and without. I looked at chat history and nothing is listed. Any help would be appreciated.
all numbers starting wih a 6 are mobilepfone numbers, I put interesting number to my contact list and maybe 70% of them using whatsapp

WhatsApp provides feedback under your message. If there is a gray check that means your phone has sent it (if there is a clock it means it didn’t have Wi-Fi to send) a second gray check means the receiver has received the message on their phone, when both little checks go blue then the recipient has read the message.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I could never get the helper function to work.

Instead I typed my question in English, then translated to Spanish with Google Translate.

I cut-n-pasted the Spanish into my WhatsApp message below my English text. The Albergue/Hostel received both versions of my request.

That always worked for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you send a whatsapp message, 1 grey tick next to it means it’s been sent.
2 grey ticks it’s been delivered.
2 blue ticks means it’s been read.
My kids' worst term of opprobium for someone is 'He/she's left me on read'. For that generation, apparently it's very rude to read your WhatsApp message (which the sender knows you've read) but not to reply straightaway.
This phrase confuses the heck out of me because what I hear them saying is 'He's left me on red'. But, as @kayagee66 says, the ticks go blue, so surely it should be 'He's left me on blue'. This is usually the point when my kids throw something at me 😂

The helper, in this case, appears to be a WisePilgrim function. It creates a message requesting confirmation of the availability of one or more beds on a specific date, and confirming a reservation if one is available, and passes that to WhatsApp in Spanish or Portuguese. Once you are in WhatsApp, you can review the message and then send it. This tool is only available when you have opened up the details of a particular property, and presumably is only active if they are using WhatsApp. It seems to be available for properties on all the different routes.

You need to do a long press on the selection bar to open the helper. A short press takes you straight to WhatsApp.

The helper, in this case, appears to be a WisePilgrim function. It creates a message requesting confirmation of the availability of one or more beds on a specific date, and confirming a reservation if one is available, and passes that to WhatsApp in Spanish or Portuguese. Once you are in WhatsApp, you can review the message and then send it. This tool is only available when you have opened up the details of a particular property, and presumably is only active if they are using WhatsApp. It seems to be available for properties on all the different routes.

You need to do a long press on the selection bar to open the helper. A short press takes you straight to WhatsApp.
As you described, I was trying to use the helper- opened up on a specific albergue shown to use WhatsApp- put in my info - reviewed and submitted but it never appeared in my chat list. However when I directly used WhatsApp and put in my own translation and submitted it, then it appeared in my chat list and gave me the check marks it had been received and read. It’s all a learning experience. Thanks to everyone who has provided comments.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
WhatsApp is an essential app for the Camino ... Especially for keeping in touch with all the new friends you're going to make while walking. Don't leave home without it, so to speak.
I enjoyed WhatsApp until Facebook bought it and obtained the phone number they had been begging me to give them for years. But as for albergues¹, some make reservations by WhatsApp, some by phone, some by internet, and and many by nothing (no reservations). Ours didn't for years, after realizing that we had turned away too many pilgrims and then had the reservation maker never arrive. Recently, we tried a compromise: accept reservations for a small percentage of beds, and tell them the reservation will be canceled if they don't arrive before three (or some similar time—I'm not there now and don't remember exactly)

¹I've used that word hundreds of times, maybe thousands, but my computer STILL tries to change it to "allergies" every time!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.