• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving lodging ahead

sarah1234

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm doing this right... But I'm wondering if anyone has advice on reserving lodging ahead. I'd love to do the Camino Ingles in May or June 2023, but when I go to book at a private hostel or hotel in Ferrol, Neda, etc, places seem to already be full. I know public hostels are walk-in, but I'll be doing the camino with my 10-year-old and would like to have rooms reserved ahead. Suggestions?
Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is difficult to know whether they are actually full without contacting them directly, so if you are not already doing that it should be your next step. Not all beds appear on the major booking sites, and May/June may be too far away for many of the smaller places to be making beds available online.

It is difficult to know whether they are actually full without contacting them directly, so if you are not already doing that it should be your next step. Not all beds appear on the major booking sites, and May/June may be too far away for many of the smaller places to be making beds available online.
Thank you! I thought about contacting places directly, but I'm not figuring that out so far. For example, I'm looking at O Crucerio in Pontedeume and can't find a website or number. But that is really good to know that maybe it's too far ahead for rooms to be available to book yet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! I thought about contacting places directly, but I'm not figuring that out so far. For example, I'm looking at O Crucerio in Pontedeume and can't find a website or number. But that is really good to know that maybe it's too far ahead for rooms to be available to book yet.
Check out Gronze.com - they list just about all of the Camino accommodations, most with contact information. I have found that using WhatsApp is a good way to contact many places on the Camino. Gronze is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English (or the language of your choice) Be aware that sometimes it (mis)translates place names!

For example, I'm looking at O Crucerio in Pontedeume
I don't see it on Gronze, but Google says that their phone number is +34 981 43 01 85

You've probably seen that they are showing availability on booking.com up through April 2023, so they probably haven't released rooms to booking sites for the months after that yet.

I don't see it on Gronze, but Google says that their phone number is +34 981 43 01 85

You've probably seen that they are showing availability on booking.com up through April 2023, so they probably haven't released rooms to booking sites for the months after that yet.
I didn't know about Gronze - thank you! I couldn't figure out the booking.com availability, so good to know that they only go through April at this point. This is all super helpful, and I'm relieved that what I was seeing online doesn't mean that places are booked up that far out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think that it is too far out for the time you are looking at. They would not be fully booked at this point, likely have just not released those rooms. Six months or even 4 months ahead is enough time for most places, although if there is some place specific in Santiago you could book that earlier provided there is the ability to cancel. ( as we know plans can change)

I think you may be trying to book too far out. Plans change so maybe make a list if where you'd like to stay and contact them closer to your journey.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
FWIW, O Crucerio in Pontedeume is not exactly well located. Unless you have a very specific reason for choosing it, you will find better options closer to the camino and closer to the very nice center of town.
That must be why it's not on Gronze.

We traveled the Inglés this past May/June and other than making our Santiago reservations well in advance, we did not make our reservations until March and April. If you are trying for a municipal albergue where it’s the only game in town and you can’t make reservations, you might want to check some of the off the Camino accommodations where they are willing to pick you up and drop you back off onto the Camino.

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm doing this right... But I'm wondering if anyone has advice on reserving lodging ahead. I'd love to do the Camino Ingles in May or June 2023, but when I go to book at a private hostel or hotel in Ferrol, Neda, etc, places seem to already be full. I know public hostels are walk-in, but I'll be doing the camino with my 10-year-old and would like to have rooms reserved ahead. Suggestions?
Thank you!
Hi Sarah
I have just walked Morgade to SDC with my son-in-law and two granddaughters aged 10 and 7. This was in May/June 2022. They had my shells from my first 2 Caminos and wanted to walk a little with granddad and had previously met me in Santiago. I suggested they try to walk the last 100k so they could get their own Compostelas. I started training them back in January and got them used to carrying their own packs. I have never booked ahead on any of my previous Camino trips and wanted them to have the same experience. They loved sharing communal facilities and were warmly welcomed by hopitaleros and fellow pilgrims. There was only one night when we had to walk extra to find a bed and that was only a few kilometres. We all had a fabulous time and they are telling me that when they are old enough they are going to take their friends and walk full Caminos just like grandad. Just go for it. You will love it.
Buen Camino
Vince

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
FWIW, O Crucerio in Pontedeume is not exactly well located. Unless you have a very specific reason for choosing it, you will find better options closer to the camino and closer to the very nice center of town.

I agree.

@sarah1234: I had looked at that place for my walk and even though it is on the Camino route, I realized that once you trudge all the way up that hill you will not want to go back down and up again. The hill is the hill out of town and it is one of the steepest ascents on this Camino. Try and find a place near the down town, it is very charming with lots of good places to eat. After some churros and hot chocolate in the am you will be ready for the hill.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back