• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserving lodging at SJPdP and Roncesvalles?

CalledToRise

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2019!!!! So Excited!
Hey all!

I'm doing the CF starting at SJPdP on June 20th and it is my first Camino. *super excited*

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to book ahead at SJPdP for the night at both SJPdP and Roncesvalles to makes sure I have somewhere to stay. I want to "let the camino provide" but am worried that there is no place at the inn during the summer. Is it typical that SJPdP gets full in late June? I would prefer to stay at muni and parish albergues as much as possible.

Tips?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would book ahead for your first night in SJPdP, though you cannot book ahead the municipal. It does not take bookings, runs on a first to arrive basis. I usually stay there, I like it. If you arrive in St. Jean before it opens (2 or 2.30pm), you will be fine getting a place though.

I don't usually book ahead for Roncesvalles, but I hear many do, just in case.

Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I book for SDC for however many nights I intend to stay...peace of mind,relatively cheap if you book in advance and not the hassle of traipsing around looking for a bed when you arrive

Yes me too. I book a place in Santiago as soon as I know when I am going to arrive. Usually a few days or a week before I get there.

Hey all!

I'm doing the CF starting at SJPdP on June 20th and it is my first Camino. *super excited*

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to book ahead at SJPdP for the night at both SJPdP and Roncesvalles to makes sure I have somewhere to stay. I want to "let the camino provide" but am worried that there is no place at the inn during the summer. Is it typical that SJPdP gets full in late June? I would prefer to stay at muni and parish albergues as much as possible.

Tips?
It seems like this is your first camino and that first day is pretty tough to say the least. I have seen lots of young and fit pilgrims tell me that. I know all too well myself. Book the first night in SJPP. There are lots of good albergues and hostels that you can book online at Booking.com. I would get on the website for the albergue in Roncesvalles. They have cut down significantly on the number of pilgrims they allow. If you get there late you may lose out and either have to book somewhere for alot more money or keep walking which isn't really ideal either after such a hard day. I would do this immediately if I were you. Buen Camino

I would book ahead for your first night in SJPdP, though you cannot book ahead the municipal. It does not take bookings, runs on a first to arrive basis. I usually stay there, I like it. If you arrive in St. Jean before it opens (2 or 2.30pm), you will be fine getting a place though.

I don't usually book ahead for Roncesvalles, but I hear many do, just in case.

Davey
Def reserve in SJPP and Roncesvalles. I saw many pilgrims nervously wondering if they would have a place to sleep.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am not a book ahead peregrino, but in Saint Jean and Roncesvalles I am. Highly recommend Beilari in Saint Jean, the perfect way to start the Camino. And also recommend stopping in Orisson and the first day. It´s small. Need to reserve and then, too, in Roncesvalles.

Hey all!

Tips?
I never book ahead with the exception of St Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles then Santiago at the end. If you book Roncesvalles, you can also book your dinner with it and there are limited seats at the table so nice to have one booked in advance. I have booked Beilari and Auberge Pellerin in St Jean. Both very good. Hard to say how busy St Jean gets in Late June as I have only been there in April. I am told that even then it can be busy at the weekends but I always arrived on a Thursday and been away early Friday morning so dont really know

Hey all!

Tips?

I liked having single accommodations my first night in France to regroup & sleep. Itzalpea was a great place for me. It is just to the left once you walk up the hill from the train station. After settling in I walked a couple blocks to the right & met tons of happy pilgrims at a restaurant patio on the corner.

Attachments

• 32764587-8DF3-4534-BB27-44ED78733074.jpeg
    32764587-8DF3-4534-BB27-44ED78733074.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agreeing with the posts above: Book for SJPDP and Roncesvalles. I did not book for either in my first CF in the also very busy month of September... when I arrived in SJPDP there was literally a run on the beds still available. I got lucky but it is less hassle to book ahead. When I arrived in Roncesvalles on day 1 there were no more beds in the whole village. Many pilgrims took group taxis to different towns since everyone was exhausted walking. So yes, also book for Roncesvalles. After that I never booked anything and mostly stayed at municipal Albergues until SDC - also there I did not book ahead and it was no problem. One last tip: Get the list of all the albergues at the pilgrim office in SJPDP. On it you find all the albergues on the way, prices, beds, meals or kitchen yes/no etc. It really helped me and other pilgrims :)

Just a note, things were more expensive at the beginning of the camino. After Logrono lodging and meals seemed to be less expensive in general. Don't be discouraged by that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back